RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke

center diff upgrade??????

does the optional center diff upgrade really improve performance in any way??? pls explain

RC Qualifier
    If your not racing or running a BB motor, I say steer clear of the center diff. It's supposed to keep all of the wheels planted to give you more control over the car around bends and jumps. The center diff transfers power from front to back like your normal diffs transfer from left to right. It also acts as a cushion to all of the shock the driveline gets from jumps and the crazy power systems out today. It really takes the fun out of the summit because it will wheelie less, when it does wheelie it will send most of the power up front and your tires will balloon like crazy. A lot of people tend to remove them because the car isn't as fun and runs really weird. Then again some people love them and wouldn't drive without it. I know Jimmie Neutron has used them in the past and he will have more real world info on them. I'm sure we'll have the pleasure of his expert analysis very soon!
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 07-05-2012 at 08:59 PM.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    o....deff dont wanna mess up my wheelies......thats half the fun...thanks for the warning....jimmie I would like to hear your input also if you get the time....thx

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I have had mine in for at least 150-200 packs.
    I can still wheelie when I want to.... but I am running heavier than stock (100k) oil in it... in a MERV... with more power:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...w+installation

I also run Dirt Hawgs... strapped so they do not balloon.

I find this set up to be near perfect... no broken axles and very controllable.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    no more crawling.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Racer
    hey jimmie on your link....you used a diff motor...can i expect the same or close to the same power gains by only switching the esc to the 60a one you are using???

Yes... sort of. You can run the 60 amp harder than the stock ESC without heat issues.
    If I were to do it again, I would look harder for a higher amp rating with a similar foot print, even though even pushing 3S through it in 100F ambient heat only raises ESC temps to about 170 with the fan that is included. So maybe 60 amps is enough. lol

The motor I switched to is barely any faster... it is a 4370Kv and stock is 4000Kv. The extra 370RPM per volt is hardly noticeable... I would compare it to adding cold air intake to a completely stock car; a little improvement, but nothing your SOP meter will notice.

SOP = Seat of Pants

And yes... a center diff will "diff out" in a crawling situation.

RC Enthusiast
    Jimmy. What do you mean by "diff out"? I turned my 1 16 summit into a crawler and was thinking about putting in the center diff that I have laying around. Thinking that it would make it a little more controllable on the rocks?

Tapatalk'n

Diff Out:
    To put power to the tire with least traction.

RC Racer
    youd think youd want power to the tires with the most traction instead of the other way ?????

For crawling, yes.

For racing, no.
    All the power to wheels with traction actually makes for a very hard to control RC.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking that it would be better fir crawling. With the center diff it wouldn't wanna wheelie all the time. With 70k diff fluid. Our am I out to lunch?

Tapatalk'n

If the front end keeps lifting off, the center diff will not really help... you need more weight up front.

I can still easily wheelie... I could with the 50K in it even.
    But it is much easier to lightly back off the throttle and get the front end to plant itself.

RC Racer
    Installed the Center Diff into my Summit for bashing and it has made a world of difference. I can still Wheelie if i completely punch the throttle but it def allows for the power to be planted a lot faster and easier. I bash and run it on the local track and it has greatly improved the handling and stability. But like many of the other posts have said i wouldnt use it to crawl.

RC Racer
    thanks for the info....im not much of a crawler....i like speed, but i like to wheelie too....i think ill go ahead and try it out....it seems to have enough pros to out weigh the cons