RC Enthusiast

Older E Maxx questions

Hi, I just bought an older E maxx, the one with the 27 MHz transmitter and the purple evx esc. I am not sure if this esc can use 2 lipos or not. If it does, where can i find a cheap lipo detection charm? Also I want to know if there are any inexpensive brushless motors/esc drop-ins that I could put in it. I would like a motor that is waterproof but I don't want it to be super slow... Maybe 30mph on high gear and I want the esc to take at least two 2cell lipos. Please help, I'm not very experienced with electric rc(I'm used to nitro) and I don't know many motor brands that are good.

hobbypartz has some good priced 1/8 systems for around 99.99 if you can find them in stock and nitrorcx has the same thing. rcecho.com has a great combo i got for 166.99 shipped express a hobbywing xerun 2000kv sc8 esc 2-4s lipos waterproof. you might need to upgrade your truck some before taking on a combo like that though. if its like older older you have to. do you know your model #?
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I think he might have the 3905
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Enthusiast
    I think it's the 3906. I also just found out one of the gears is stripped in the transmission, so is that something to upgrade to steel to be able to handle brushless?

RC Champion
    if its the plastic idler #3996, change that to 3996x steel idler. It needs ground down to narrow the width, but use the old short shafts that the idler's go on. There's a how too on the forum somewhere, but all you do is grind down the new idlers till a flat edge surface. You'll see when you get them how far to go down as it has a lip on them.
    There was a company that made the full metal transmission gears but not no more, there was a set on ebay a couple weeks back very expensive.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Enthusiast
    Lol ya it is the 3996... Common problem among the emaxxs? Also, does this look like a good motor/esc setup?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-js6.html

RC Champion
    I don't know about brushless motors I'm still liking the big brushed. I just had a quick look on fleebay the complete metal gear set is still there $120 I'm not sure i can link to it but a google search for ultramaxxed transmission gears Gen 3 should bring it up.

RC Qualifier
    I was running steel idler gears in my 3906 e-maxx and I haven't had any transmission issues yet, the bottom set of gears are still plastic. I also replaced the hollow pins on the top row of gears, just cut a drill bit and use it as a replacement pin, glue it in place. I did several 4s runs and it still seems to run fine. The ez-run brushless system you posted won't be that good, it's for 1/10 cars and "1/8 crawlers". I have the 80A 1/8 2250kv system, it's been bashed in snow and other wet conditions and it's still running, the system doesn't get too hot ad the motor was run with my mamba 1/8 esc on 6s lipo and it's doing good still. The system is $135. I do remember the old EVX esc was 7 cell nimh capable (back then it was considered daring to go above 6 cells) so I think it could maybe to 2s lipos, I would also look into if the EVX can be upgraded to the new EVX-2 with lipo cutoff. Voltage alarms are cheap on ebay but I was never told on the forum any specific brand.
    I like turtles.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool thanks, is it easy to install the velineon Vxl system in the older emaxxs? Because I can trade in my evx and twin 550's for the Vxl system and pay only $130.

why not trade it in for the MMM system traxxas has for $250. alot cheaper than if you were to buy it from castle or LHS/online or new traxxas combo. the VXL system is more for 1/10 and heat would be a large factor for you even though your emaxx is older it still would need to be careful on temps.
    look at these but choose express shipping though: http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-XERU...mbo-ME222.html
    thats the one i have. waterproof-handles up to 4s
    http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-XERU...ard-ME237.html
    not waterproof just water resistant. this one handles up to 6s
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    Ya don't put a vxl system in it. Waste of money. I would just put a MMM in it for $250 if i were you. But im not you so do what you want. I don't suggest it though...
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh, I see. I'd rather not do the mamba due to a lack of waterproofing and price so I'll probably go with a hobbywing.

RC Qualifier
    I put the steel idler gear and hard pinned the input gear on my 3906 as Meebert has done. No problems with over a year of run time. I didn't even have to grind the idler gear, it was a direct drop in. No other mods are needed.

The BL combos that Mike suggested are the best bang for your $$$. If you want it waterproof get the SC8WP 120 amp ESC.

To trade in your brushed setup for a VXL and pay $130.00 is not that good a deal, IMO. For about $150.00 you can get a BL combo that will rip and be dependable.

If you decide on using a LVA (low voltage alarm) with a brushed system check out Ebay.

RC Champion
    I got an integy one from my lhs for $11, cheaper than any I've seen on eBay and does up to 8s. Loud as heck too
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Enthusiast
    Do u need an alarm for each battery or can u use one?
    Like this one.http://www.suntekstore.com/goods.php...ource=amazonpa

RC Champion
    yes that would do fine,Set it to 3.5 minimum. Connect to the bec side of the esc. Can't remember 100% how to tell which side is bec side but a google search would find it easily. Or you could use two if you wanted.

RC Champion
    If ur running two, I would get two, just to keep all the cells in check. If your ballancer misses a little you don't want to kill a cell if all it would cost is $5

That's the one I have
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Enthusiast
    I thought you just plug the alarm into the balancing plug on the lipos themselves. Am I wrong?

RC Champion
    yep, if you get a manual with them they maybe translated straight from chinese to english and may read weird. On youtube there is lots of how to's on using them and changing settings.

RC Enthusiast
    ah, cool thanks so much, I'm new to electric rc so it's good to have traxxas forums.