Thread: Got my Summit

RC Enthusiast

Got my Summit

New member just saying hello.

Just picked one up and man this thing is out of this world. Upgrading from a very old 2WD Stampede....so being very careful for the first few charges. I got a massive construction site behind the house and the summit has already ripped through the site a few times.

Last edited by seamonster; 08-04-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Rugged terrain capabilities are a little different from the P2de's, huh?
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

Welcome to the forums! Also, welcome to the Summit club!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier

Got my Summit

Summit, frosty beverage and a steak knife...

I don't like where this is going
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-04-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: reference

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the world of Summitville. Great forum, the best I have come across. lots of info and everyone has always treated me with respect even though some of my questions in retrospect were pretty lame. Don't be afraid to ask questions lots of knowledgeable people here.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I absolutely love my Summit. We go for a walk in the woods every day after work. This thing is so tough and pretty fast.

I do have a questions though; Seen all the guys on YouTube hosing down their summit....what if I take it out every day? Can I hose off every day?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I absolutely love my Summit. We go for a walk in the woods every day after work. This thing is so tough and pretty fast.

I do have a questions though; Seen all the guys on YouTube hosing down their summit....what if I take it out every day? Can I hose off every day?
    It's waterproof but the bearings and screws aren't. I simply avoid driving it in water or mud and prefer to just use my air compressor to blow dust and dirt off.
    I drove my old stampede in water and snow and the fun didn't outweigh the maintenance.

Just my opinion though.

RC Qualifier

Try this http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-PICTURE-HEAVY works great I use it all the time. I mixed it up in spray bottles, spray it on let it sit for a minute and spray it off with air compressor.

RC Champion

Welcome!

Here are my personal experience and tips:

It is not a good idea to clean the Summit with water. Just use an air compressor or a can of compressed air.

Have you got the Version with Lipos? If not get youself some good ones asap, since it will make a big difference in performance.

If you bash the summit little bit harder the fake bead lock rings can create hole in the tires. This happened to me and i removed the rings completely now.

The diffs can have pretty much play in the housings. If this is the case you can fix it with the so called "hot glue mod" which many summit owners here in the forum including me did.

PS: I got the same body color scheme as you
    Last edited by soundmaster; 08-06-2013 at 05:05 AM.

This method works great for me!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-PICTURE-HEAVY

EDIT: Brick57 beat me to the punch with my own thread! LOL!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    I dont see how the air compressor would help. I live in the Seattle area, we dont have dust, it's mud and air wont remove it.

RC Competitor
    Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new purchase. As a 2wd pede & a summit owner I can tell you the main diffrence you will notice is that with your pede you are always "wonder can it do that?" & with the summit you will be wonder "what can't it do?"
    Don't take it out unless your going to use it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Guy View Post
    Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new purchase. As a 2wd pede & a summit owner I can tell you the main diffrence you will notice is that with your pede you are always "wonder can it do that?" & with the summit you will be wonder "what can't it do?"
    I dont even look at the pede any more. The summit is a beast. We went for a walk in the woods yesterday, and the Summit is like a hyper dog who runs off the trail constantly, but is always ahead of you

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone know how I to use this product? I dont know where to plug it in....plugs into the truck or battery while it is being used?
    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tester...er+Alarm+Rc+1s

I got a pair of 5000 45c lipo batteries and I would like to keep them healthy with your help

RC Champion
    Anyone know how I to use this product? I dont know where to plug it in....plugs into the truck or battery while it is being used?
    http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tester...er+Alarm+Rc+1s

I got a pair of 5000 45c lipo batteries and I would like to keep them healthy with your help
    This must be plugged into the balancing port of the lipo on the bec side while running the vehicle. It will then start to buzz if the voltage drops below the set value.

You can set the alarm to a higher value than the esc shutdown value if you don't want to drain your lipos too much. ESC shutdown is something about 3.4 V i think. The higher the value (up to 3.8V) the less mah you will get out of your lipo but the better for the cells

For example on my airplanes i set the timer to have about 3.7-3.8V respectively use about 80% of the total mah of the lipo.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 08-07-2013 at 12:27 AM.

I dont see how the air compressor would help. I live in the Seattle area, we dont have dust, it's mud and air wont remove it.
    After you wash it off,it is helpful to remove excess water.speeds up maintenance and cleaning.lube what needs lube and its ready for the next adventure.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. I've been using a gas powered leaf blower to dry it out after hosing it off. Think I'll order one of those low voltage buzzer things

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. I've been using a gas powered leaf blower to dry it out after hosing it off. Think I'll order one of those low voltage buzzer things
    I love the LVA you are refering to. I zip tied mine to the wires on the bec side of the esc and just plugs right into the balancing port of the battery. I left mine set to 3.4 volts. To find the bec side just plug one battery in and press the button on the esc. if the esc powers up and turns the light on that is the bec side. If not try the other side to be sure. The bec drains more from that battery than the other side so it is best to monitor the bec battery.

RC Enthusiast
    Just waiting for my 8200 lipos to arrive today!!! So exiting!!

RC Enthusiast
    Tried to stiffen my shocks by tightening preloads and truck kept flipping over during turns....is that normal? How hsould I be turning without flipping over?

RC Champion
    Tried to stiffen my shocks by tightening preloads and truck kept flipping over during turns....is that normal? How hsould I be turning without flipping over?
    The more preload you add the higher the CG will be. The higher the CG the more the Summit will flip over, but it also depends on the surface you drive on. The more grip the more it will flip.

just take the turns slower or reduce the preload a little. You could also add stiffer springs in the rear and reduce preload. This is what i will be doing. So you get a lower ride height and reduce the sag.

It has a pretty hi COG so you need to let up on the throttle the soft sticky tires create the "traction roll" syndrome just takes some practice (the fun part)

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys, should these lipos be warm after run? normal? Also, what should I set my low voltage buzzer at? I'm guessing I should wait till fully cool before charging? They lasted one hour and 45 minutes! Trail walking and full speed 1/2 the time. If you don't have these you've got to get some!
    My motor started smelling like burnt plastic by the end.... I kept running it, smell went away and motor had no loss of power Is it on its way out already?

They will get slightly warm after hard discharging(hard running) should not ever get hot...
    Could have got some debris in the motor.check all your wires one may have been touching the motor.
    I recommend the 8200 to any summit owner who wants runtime

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Hey guys, should these lipos be warm after run? normal? -> YES
    Also, what should I set my low voltage buzzer at? -> its up to you (between 3.4 and 3.8V)
    I'm guessing I should wait till fully cool before charging? -> YES
    My motor started smelling like burnt plastic by the end.... I kept running it, smell went away and motor had no loss of power Is it on its way out already? -> I don't thinks so. 775 is pretty durable, Little smell is normal, more important are the temps

Get yourself a temp gun and always check motor / esc temps.

For the time you don't have a temp gun: You should be able to touch motor/esc for a couple of seconds
    Last edited by soundmaster; 08-10-2013 at 09:02 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you!

What should the temp be?
    Can I check without removing body?
    Is this a good one?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contact-...item2ec7b7ca37