Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

08's Slash build up....... (new to electric, thoughts and advise welcome)

ok so to start off i was into the nitro scene until recently when i traded both my 4907 maxx and my slayer pro along with other things to get a car i wanted. well i wanted to switch to electric so ive decided to go with a slash. now i dont have a car yet at all because do to bills and what not its hard to save up enough to just go buy a rtr setup. so im going to start with a roller so that i can just slowly build it the way i want it without having to spend extra by replacing parts i dont want anyway.

im completely new to electric as well as the slash of course so all input, advice, tips, tricks ect. is all greatly appritiated and will be taken into consideration.

so to start with theres 2 main rollers ive been looking at.

this one is cheaper but does not have the transmission at price tag of $84 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item416786f099

this one has the brushless transmission in it but is $95 and im thinking is the better deal because of that since i will be running brushless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5803-Traxxas...11%26rk%3D2%26

and then im just going to put this link from the alley since theres some info in it that is helpful already.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...red-my-friends.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Will you be going with an aftermarket gearbox or the stock one?

If going with the stock gearbox, get the one with the trans.

If you want something more motor coolin capable, get the cheaper one and maybe the Hr graphite/alum trans. It will cost you about $20-25 more overall incl new gears, and will run about 15 cooler than stock.

If you want even more motor cooling, a full alum gearbox will cost you 15-30$ more than that.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

aftermarket gearbox? not even sure what your talking about to be honest lol. like i said, new to electric lol. i can tell you that for now atleast i wont be running lipo batteries for one, and ill probably go with a traxxas brushless motor/esc combo so its waterproof.

can you post links to some of these different options you mentioned so i can see more what your talking about?
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    graves, if you ever consider 4x4, i thought this is a good deal.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...h-RPM-Upgrades
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    oh wow, so the new 2 channel tqi controllers are only $48 shipped and the other one which is 3 channel is still $51 shipped.

but you only need a 2 channel for electric right? one for throttle/brake and reverse along with one for steering.

and if you have a nitro with reverse delete it would only need a 2 channel as well im assuming?

but how many cars can you use on the new controllers? i know the older 2.4ghz ones did like 30 different cars lol. just making sure its not like 1 or 2 cars otherwise i would spend the extra $3 lo
    You only need two channels for most vehicles. Some use a third channel for brakes or to change gears so having the extra channel to start with can be nice but its not needed.

And gearbox is another term for transmission case. Some like to use aluminum ones to reduce temps or because the tolerances are supposedly better. I wouldn't go with a fully aluminum case but a composite one with a aluminum motor plate wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

not against 4x4 by any means, ive driven 2x4 slashes a few times and i thought they were just fun to slide around with on pavement and what not and the more challenge of controlling it. but i mean, where i live at the grass isnt real short most of the time for even a 4x4 slash so it would mostly be a road vehicle probably. thought about going with the street tires and all even. but not buying a roller this sec so it wouldnt be until this weekend at the earliest id be making any purchase. could i make that 2wd by pulling the front axle like a t-maxx? that way i could go either or? if so then i might pick that up as long as he has it still when i have the money. i just have to get paid again so i can pay more on my card since its linked to my pay pal acccount. and i wont have money till sat. then a few days after that for the payment to go through on my credit card.
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    You only need two channels for most vehicles. Some use a third channel for brakes or to change gears so having the extra channel to start with can be nice but its not needed.

And gearbox is another term for transmission case. Some like to use aluminum ones to reduce temps or because the tolerances are supposedly better. I wouldn't go with a fully aluminum case but a composite one with a aluminum motor plate wouldn't be a bad idea.
    ok, i got you. i guess the way i read it i thought there was a trans and a seperate mystery gearbox lol. makes sense now though. might be an upgrade for the future but probably not needed off the line without lipo's or anything im assuming. i was eying up that proline trans for future though. anyone use it?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    At this point in time avoid the Pro-Line trans. Its poorly engineered and over priced. You can build a just about bullet proof trans for less. And I use a plastic case and have no issues. Even when I was doing speed runs the case would stay cool. They are also very cheap to replace.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    . could i make that 2wd by pulling the front axle like a t-maxx? that way i could go either or?
    no, they are completely different. 2wd has a trans mounted at the rear while the 4x4 has no trans just a shaft with a spur mounted at the rear side.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

so its 4x4 or nothing then i take it? nothing i can do to just make it 2wd at all? not even pulling that entire shaft?
    Drag It!

You can pull the front of the driveline out of a slash 4x4 to make it 2wd no problem. Couple of guys run them at my track that way so that they can have a mid engine feel. You would pull the center shaft, ft diff, and ft drive shafts out. That may be a good idea for you since you are doing a ground up build... Also being that you will be running road mostly, the sway bars for the 4x4 are way better than for the 2wd by far. The 4x4 suspension is way ahead of the 2wd's also.

Stay away from the P-L trans for now... its not worth the aggravation, or the 100$. P-L needs to fix the many issues first.
    Last edited by rag6; 07-04-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Ok, thanks for the help guys. Looks like ill just pick up a 4x4 roller from either the market place or new if that one is already sold. If I find a used one what is a good price say if stock? Decent shape of course.
    Drag It!

I think the new ones go for around 150 with no tires elecs or body.

Ok so anything less especially upgraded is worth while pretty much then I'm guessing
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 07-04-2012 at 04:48 PM.
    Drag It!

Sent you a pm...

RC Champion
    Ok so anything less especially upgraded is worth while pretty much then I'm guessing
    The slash 4x4 platform is pretty solid as it comes so I don't think you'll need too many upgrades to get rolling. I've heard that the motor mount is a weak point on the 4x4. The driveshafts are stronger on the 4x4 than the 2x4 so based on the battery you are running you should be fine there.( I'm trying to associate weak points on the 2x4 to the 4x4) Casters or c-blocks may be better as aluminum, and maybe rpm a arms would be a good idea. I like the idea of using a 4x4 as a 2x4. Good luck!
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

yeah, i might have to go the 4x4 route then and just rock as a 2 wheel if nothing else.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Would taking the front diff out upset the balance of the truck too much? Without the center driveshaft and shafts to the wheels couldn't you leave the diff in so it could act as a weight up front to keep the nose down, or would it not matter?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

i know on my t-maxx when i took out the front diff it tried to flip in the air way more if i was on the throttle an equal amount off of a jump. so as far as distributing the weight i think it would help. but if im just trying to make it as light as possible then obviously i would want it all out.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    If your going to mostly use 2wd then paying more for a 4x4 may not be worth it.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

i may be in the process of getting a bunch of 4x4 stuff including chassis among things at a good price. so that being said i may persue this option even if i do only use it as 2wd. it has one diff with it already and although its not a full full roller i think it would be a good starting place for the price. im not in a huge hurry to complete it anyway and then i can get all the parts to have some 4x4 fun as well if i choose to if not for this deal i probably would just rock the 2wd and be content though.
    Drag It!

so........... thinking im going to be ordering my roller soon not sure what part or parts i will look into as the next step towards completion. i got a few friends into electric so i gotta get ahold of them and see what they have and what they would be willing to part with.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Good luck. I am waiting on my 2x4 roller from ebay also. Good luck on your build, whatever you choose to do.

man this is bugging me. my pay pal is linked to my credit card. which i have to pay on to use it. well when i oppened my bank account at college there was chase banks everywhere. but since theres none around me i just take a pic of the check and enter in some info to do it over my phone. then it just takes until the next day to clear. well i get paid on friday and was rushed to go to my other job and it had an error or something. so the check didnt get deposited until sat. so i thought i would have my money on sunday. but no....... and then today it still said pending as well. so i have almost $300 i cant even touch. then once it does clear i have to wait a few days for my payment to go through on my credit card before i can order my roller......... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    That sounds like quite a hassle to go through, but the wait should be well worth it when you get the roller. What roller model have you decided on, 2x4 or 4x4?
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

well my check finally cleared this morning and i made my credit card payment. so as soon as that clears ill be ordering

and im going to be going with a 2x4 roller, but as long as money doesnt become an issue here soon im going to be buying some new and used 4x4 slash parts from a member on here as well. that will be a little side project but cant really pass up the deal. debating if the 4x4 will be an off road setup or maybe an awd on road conversion?
    Drag It!

Protoform Pf8 body??? Under 30$

Heres mine next to my slash oval body.

These fit perfectly...

There will be readily avail drift tires from the 1/8 mad drift
    Last edited by rag6; 07-10-2012 at 07:22 AM.

RC Champion
    IMO buy it all by parts. If i was to do a slash, id do the Rustler LCG STRC conversion, VXL trans, RPM towers, A-arms, bumpers, some type of big bores, alluminum rearhubs, steering blocks, castorblocks. Then go from there with the electronics, tires/rims and TX/RX.
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

see i figured i would start with a roller to get the majority of the parts. that way im not trying to buy 50,000 + screws lol not in a hurry to build it so i will probably get upgrades along the way. for the 2wd i mean. the 4x4 build will pretty much be a piece by piece build so it will get the good stuff right off the bat.

but yeah that protoform pf8 body is the one that fits perfect if i remember right. havent looked into that one a whole lot yet so im not sure lol

anyone got pics of that body mounted up on a slash 4x4 by chance for curiosity purposes?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    If you have a problem locating screws, there is a company called Tony's Screws that sells complete screw sets for traxxas vehicles like the slash. Here is a link to their site: http://www.tonysscrews.com/
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Yeah I know about them, didn't think about it though to be honest lol
    Drag It!

dude............ that thing looks nasty! i love it!!!!! flat black with gloss windows and a gloss/flat skull theme....... yup yup that just made up my mind for the 4x4 now do you have video links? lol
    Drag It!

2wd, but should get the juices flowing:

I will find more...

its official ladies and gents................

just ordered my 2wd slash roller from lumidave on ebay

now i get to play the waiting game lol

my plan is to order something every week (hopefully) until i get this thing together and drivable. so let the build begin!!!
    Drag It!

ok well for my 2wd i think im going to go with the desert melita body for general purposes.

tire questions

are the proline Trencher tires good for all around driving both on and off road?

i know the stock wheels/tires are decent all around but is it worth the extra money to get trenchers off the line?

because i can get stock setup already glued for $35 shipped
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    I have heard that the trenchers are very versatile tires. I don't know how fast they would wear on road though. I think it is a good idea to get some new tires when you get the truck because the stock ones are a bit hard for running on dirt or grass.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Yeah I was thinking more or less to just get it going then buy better ones down the road lol
    Drag It!

well since the roller is on its way what part do you guys think i should score next? im not refering to a specific part like a momba monster motor/esc combo or proline badland tires. i mean more general. do you think i should get a motor/esc? body? wheels? what?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    What type of motor/esc are you planning on getting? The velineon system from traxxas is a fast, durable brushless system, or you could go with one of the castle sct offerings for more power and adjustability. I would go for the motor/esc first to get the truck running, or maybe the body so I could take my time painting it.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL