Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    no answers for my questions yet? you guys slacking on me? lol

havent got to play with the rc lately. still working on the wire harness for one of my neons, the other one decided to blow a heater core and the alternator bracket broke, and my brother decided to cut down a 4' wide (at base) tree about 140' tall that was less than 10' from his house.............. yeah see where im going with this? it went the wrong way, smashed the whole front which is the kitchen (house trailer) like a tin can.................... so now he trying to get it cleaned up to pull that one out and get a bigger newer one. so ive been stuck doing that from the time i wake up until the time its dark and have been kicked out of my own room and bed so him and his kids have a place to live............. yeah not a good week!
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Ouch! Derailed is the bane of my existence! Be patient. Helping family is good Karma, and will be rewarded eventually. Just keep hacking away at life and things will fall into place... later than you expect.
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

well my brothers kids were getting sick, which lead to him getting sick, and now is leading to me getting sick....................... grrrrrr

but on the brightside i have the heater core bypassed for now, and i got my alternator situation fixed. turns out that the top braket broke in part because the adjustter screw was gone, and the other part being caused by the lower bracket. ill try to describe what i found as i got into it and how it supposed to be. ok first ill start by saying that you use alternator brackets off a pt cruiser when you do a 2.4 swap in a first get neon. they did that, now the adjuster bolt is a long bolt that goes through a hole and runs the same orientation as the belt. it threads through the end of another bolt which then goes through the slotted adjustment part of the bracket. this bolt goes through the alternator as well and then has a nut to lock that adjustment into place more or less. that longer adjustment bolt also pulls more in the center of the alternator and with it missing kind of tweaked it.

now for the lower alternator bracket. the way its supposed to be is theres two bolts that go strait into the side of the block from the backside near firewall towards the front bumper. then there is a cross bolt which goes into an eyelet from the passenger side towards the driver side. well............. for some reason they cut off the two main mounts that go towards the front of the car. then ontop of that they didnt even use the right side bolt for the sideways eyelet. the bolt should just thread right into that eyelet. well they had a smaller bolt with nut ran through there and that was it. so with the combination of everything the alternator was being torqued majorly to the side. well i had to re tap all the holes for pretty much everything due to wrong size bolt in there. but when it was all said and done it fit right with zero play or mis allighnment so were good
    Drag It!

question on the slash

ok so on my rear shock tower i broke the very bottom where the camber link connects. i did notice that there is another hole right above it so im assuming its another mounting hole. my question is think its possible to just glue the bottom one back together and then use the top one? what will this top hole cause? will the camber be more consistant through the suspension travel on the top hole? or will the camber change more on the top adjustment hole?

thanks in advance to all replies
    Drag It!

nobody has answer or even thought on my question? you guys slacking again?
    Drag It!

just made a order for my slash. nothing big, just a green aluminum strc rear shock tower since mine is broken anyway. so cant wait for it to be here im hoping by the weekend.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    it will change the angle of the tires a little so just make sure u retune the camber

well i knew that, i didnt know how how it would effect camber through suspension travel. but thanks for the attempt lol
    Drag It!

How are your onyx batteries ? I'm wondering because at one of my LHS they have onyx battery's and venom. I think there good but idk.
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    08kgraves it shoudnt effect ur suspension travel
    and kdvanb i have had a good history with onyx and one time i think i had a messed up batery which gave me more power that it snaped the axels but they were probably going anyways but besides that they run great and can be use many times before they start showing that they r used

i love it so far. they dont have as many hard pack options as i would like but if your lookiing for a solid 2s battery mine is a 5000mah and i get about 25 minutes of solid run time. probably more if i putted around more though lol.

i know it wont effect the amount of suspension travel being on the other mounting hole. im still trying to figure out how much the camber will changed compared to the bottom. say the bottom camber has a 5 degree change through the suspension travel normally. is the upper hole also a 5 degree change? or is it more consistant like say it only changes 2.5 degrees through the suspension travel now. or does it have more effect like say it changes 7.5 degrees through the suspension travel?
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    i am not exactly sure but i think it changes by 2 degrees so if u had it set about 2 degrees it would be about 4

yeah i just run mine strait up and down at zero degrees camber. the way i look at it as you hit bumps or jumps the tires camber in the more the suspension compresses. so if your already cambered in some, then you will get more as your driving which in turn equals a smaller footprint on the ground which equals less traction. so i just set my free height at zero degrees for that reason.
    Drag It!

had some fun today. heres some videos of bashing back in the sandy section on the stock tires on 2s battery. first coming down a big hill with a jump at bottom, second of driving in the bowl

Drag It!

heres my brother driving my slash at the quarry

heres the video of us in my brothers suburban driving back out of the quarry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MGqj...ature=youtu.be

and heres some wheelies for everyone

Drag It!

is it just me or are the stock wheel bearings junk? because my wheels move so much its not even funny!
    Drag It!

My strc rear shock tower came in mail. So as soon as I get home ill start tearing down for the install. Then ill post all the pics tonight hopefully
    Drag It!

so yeah............ heres how bad my bearings are on my right rear wheel

Drag It!

picture time ladies and gents

wonder whats in here?

hmmmm........ aluminum and stickers.............

close up time

rear section removed

rear bumper and skid removed

oooooooooOOOOOOO shiny

yay........ no more broken mount for the camber link! lol

hope it does more than just looks good!

peekaboo

Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Nice!!!!
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Racer
    not all of the wobbling is ur bearings but ur camber links the plastic wears down creating slop on the ball joints

i know it wont all be from that but the truck is still almost new. the minute wobble in the left rear is more than likely from the camber links wearing out but the right rear needs bearings plain and simple. you actually can see some wobble in the bearing of the left wheel as well just nowhere near as bad as the right rear. i want to get me some good bearings in all the wheels though. and the larger the bearing the longer they last right? i know some aftermarket carriers use bigger bearings.

i figure since my stock axles are starting to twist apart slightly that i will need them to soon. so was thinking of going with a full setup from tekno witch uses bigger bearings as well.
    Drag It!

and what in the world is the little body post hump thing in the middle of the shock tower on top for anyways?

do you use that when you convert to sand buggies or something? lol

just curious is all.
    Drag It!

dont mind me, just linking something in here to remember since im an organized person lol

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...lcg-possiblity!
    Drag It!

gonna go run the slash and test out the new shock tower some tomorrow. might have to try and pick up some bearings for that right rear wheel atleast to.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    the shock tower is also made for the rustler and bandit which use that to hold the body instead of the post like the slash

ahhhh yeah, forgot about it being used on them and having a differnt body mounting style. makes sense now.

on a side note i picked up some more bearings today and a few body clips. hope the big ones fit because they were out of the medium. and i would have gotten a 21T pinion but he was out of them as well.
    Drag It!

so ran my phone on my slash the other day to use the gps speedo app. well my super low gearing that pulls wheelies of 20/90 topped out at 30 mph. well apparently a 4T change on the spur is not enough to go any faster what so ever. because i dropted down to a 20/86 gearing and it still ran 30mph exactly. i thought changing from 4.5:1 up to 4.3:1 would make more of a difference. still skeptical of running the stock gearing of 23/86 as far as heat issues go. its a 3.74:1 ratio so the only taller gearing option i have available without more gears is a 23/90 or 3.91:1 gearing setup.

guess i may as well try it and keep my temp gun handy to make sure its safe enough to run in my conditions.
    Drag It!

so ive been thinking

i think i finally know what kind of theme i want to go with for my 2wd slash

the answer is................. dun dun dun.....................................

BACKSLASH!!!!!!!!

seen one here on the forum, another member said he had built one a while back so i messaged him for some more info. after he sent me a link i know what im going to do.

i think im going to go with a chuckworks mid engine chassis build and lcg conversion. going to get me a buggy body, some buggy tires with a 17mm conversion, need a wing still and a wing mount as well.

i still plan to get some other tire options as well like some on-road tires, and probably a set of paddles as well for the sand.

not working right now still so it wont get there for awhile but atleast i finally have a goal now.
    Drag It!

so im thinking maybe the chuckworks slice A4.5 chassis for this, wanted to look into some aftermarket gearbox's because isnt there something about anti squat on the arm mounting or something? please feel free to chime in Rag6. and what do i need to do for the reversed use of the motor?
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    so im thinking maybe the chuckworks slice A4.5 chassis for this, wanted to look into some aftermarket gearbox's because isnt there something about anti squat on the arm mounting or something? please feel free to chime in Rag6. and what do i need to do for the reversed use of the motor?
    Did you reversed a servo from a nitro truck using the transmitter? Is the exactly same thing using the channel 2
    You can search on slash manual and i think in the last pages (pag 28) there is the programing tree for the transmitter:
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...l_100921_0.pdf
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

ohhh, its as simple as going through the options in controller and pretty much just reversing a servo? that seems easy enough. but then again i dont even know how to put the car in training mode or anything for when my nephews and neices drive it lol. guess ill have to do some reasearch lol.

on a side note i just changed my gearing to see how 23/90 works out for me temp wise since i dont have a 21 or 22t pinion to go anywhere in the middle. still geared a hair lower than stock. stock gearing being a 3.74:1 and this now being a 3.91:1 gearing. physically i had to move my adjustment all the way out to get it to work right and its pretty much perfect now lol.
    Drag It!

heat issues with battery?

Ok so I changed my gearing up to 23/90 which is still a lower gearing than stock.haven't done any testing with my lipo battery but I'm still only going 30mph but I just lost acceleration. Well motor only at 120 deg after full pack, esc at 106 degrees. But my 8.4v 4500mah nimh battery was at 167 degrees!!!! What gives? Think these batteries have just had it? They were given to me for free and they get pretty warm when charging to. I thought maybe it was my chargers fault but my lipo doesn't really get warm at all.
    Drag It!

heres how i was testing my speed lol

a simple magnetic flap phone holder with belt loops on the back slid over the battery hold down.

Drag It!

when push comes to shove...........

lets just say that the pole shoved harder!

heres the culperate

snapped the (caster block?) clean off

pretty sure i put a dent in the steel pole atleast! lol

the big scrape that is across the front then angles up the side is all from me

bent the pin that attached it as well

so looks like its time to upgrade...... anyone know if the 4x4 front will work? it has a cut off axle shaft to hold it all together. have a set of trx aluminum ones.
    Drag It!

after some further inspection the only thing that broke was the caster block. and i think i heard that it was a common part to break before correct? tried the 4x4 part i had but its not even close to fitting. also noticed that the front right shock cap got a little kinked. so unscrewed it and then screwed it back on strait to fix my problems there. soon as i have a little extra money ill order me some green strc caster blocks to match my rear shock tower
    Drag It!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    ohhh, its as simple as going through the options in controller and pretty much just reversing a servo? that seems easy enough. but then again i dont even know how to put the car in training mode or anything for when my nephews and neices drive it lol. guess ill have to do some reasearch lol.

on a side note i just changed my gearing to see how 23/90 works out for me temp wise since i dont have a 21 or 22t pinion to go anywhere in the middle. still geared a hair lower than stock. stock gearing being a 3.74:1 and this now being a 3.91:1 gearing. physically i had to move my adjustment all the way out to get it to work right and its pretty much perfect now lol.
    Here is the vxl manual. Pag 22, right side : training mode
    http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...X_manual_1.pdf
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

appritiate it man, already went and found it myself though lol, along with sport mode

never hurts to post links for people though. one bad thing about buying a roller for xl-5 is that it came with the manual and everything for a brushed setup and not a brushless setup.
    Drag It!

well thought i had less money than i do which is why i was going to be waiting to order my caster blocks. well turns out i had enough so i just placed my order
    Drag It!

started repairing my body with the drywall tape and shoe goo.

some things i have noticed, one being that the drywall tape is not very stick and spreading the shoe goo around tries to lift the tape up and everything. two being that the shoe goo is ruining my florecent green paint!

ill post all the pics up when im done. easier that way
    Drag It!