RC poster

New to the sport and a little lost (Slash 4X4 battery question)

I need a little guidance. My son and I are new to the sport and about to purchase two Slash 4X4 RTR trucks. We are looking at the Onyx 245 charger so that we can charge two at once, but are unsure of where to go with batteries. The primary use will be bashing at home, (we have a BMX dirt track to drive them on), but we would also like to race “recreationally”. That is where the question comes from. We want long battery life while at home, but want enough battery to “have a chance” at the track. I have settled on a 5000 to 6000 mah batteries, but I am lost on selecting the best discharge rate. What impact will I see from a 25C verses a 25-50C? How high of a C rating should I look for based on the usage described above, and why? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

25C is about the minimun you want to go with. the higher the C rating the better. most people settle around 35-50C. The "C" rating tells you how much current it is safe to draw from your battery. It's expressed in terms of the capacity C.
    You will find that high C capable cells have lower internal resistance. This means that under high load the voltage will stay closer to 3.7v which means more power for your motor.

SPC has great batteries, i also use gens ace and hyperion. I would also mke sure to get hardcase packs.
    here is an article that goes into a little more depth:http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.ph...explained.html
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 07-03-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    (2) RC8TEs, RC8.2E, Slash 4x4, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 SPC Batteries one of em is 6000mah 30C and the other 5000mah 25c, they both work fantastic for me!! I would highly recommend SPC lipos
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

RC poster
    Thank you very much, your response was very informative. What is the best place to buy those batteries online?

hobbypartz.com for gens ace packs or specpointbatteries.com for SPC
    (2) RC8TEs, RC8.2E, Slash 4x4, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gtokh View Post
    Thank you very much, your response was very informative. What is the best place to buy those batteries online?
    Yup specpointbatteries.com or spcracing.com, 29.95 for the 5000mah one and 49.95 for the 6000mah one

Fixed it for you.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-03-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: merge
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

RC Racer
    I'm lookin to get a gens ace 3s. Couple questions: what c rating? Hard case? At least 5000 mah? They seem to b a descent price, does that mean there not that good? And they do sell a Traxxas con. Right? Thanx guys! My set up is stock slash4x4 with 11t pinion. WEEKEND WARRIOR !!

RC poster
    I have a few gen ace 3s 40c 5000mah. More than enough power, I normally have to cool the motor down before the battery is dead. The come with female bananna clips, you can buy an adapter for 10 at your lhs, or just have them soder on a traxxas connector. I have had mine for over six months and it is wtill running strong, I balance with every charge nothing special. I was told always go hard case.

RC Racer
    Thanx man. That was just the info I needed. I was told the same about hard case. Currently, I use a 2s 25c 5000 venom hard case. I've ran it maybe 8 times now. It seems to be a good battery, I just have nothin else to compare it to. How you feel about venoms?

RC Racer
    Go with gens ace! They are pretty cheap and good quality.

RC Racer
    Do they sell the adapter at hobbyparts. I was diggin around and couldnt find one?

RC Racer
    That's the only problem. It's either you solder a Traxxas connector on it or buy an adapter from eBay for around $6.

RC Racer
    Cool... I'll do some more diggin and look on eBay. Thanx

RC poster
    Hobby Partz sels a universal adapter that has four plugs on it including the traxxas connector, in my opinion though it look cluttered with all of the plugs connected. If your able to soder the lhs should sell the connector for 5, and if your not mine sodered it for free since I bought it there. My dad Runs the Venoms he has a few 2s they are nice as well, but you can't beat the price of the gen ace. If you on face book you can like the hobbypartz page, and it will give you info on sales. I believe you just missed out on a 20% off sale.

RC Racer
    Thanx a lot , I appreciate the help fella's. I do agree... Ya can't beat that price.