Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Yup that's a makes you want to scream deal there, hope they find it.
    I'd be dropin the $600 JDM D16 1.6l SOHC into it & call it a day.
    Well WHILE I was in hospital last week (long story but a nasty infection of the eye socket), my mechanic friend who already had pulled the motor 2 times, drove the car over to the machine shop with an armamentation of IR temp gauge, timing light, read outs of all of his tests via his computers and what not...

Re-created the heating problem the owner of the machine shop scaratched his head, and took the keys... NOW the engine is in pieces. The head lloks fine, there is evidence of blowy between the cylinders....

Welll if the block isn't deckutat least I didn't have to pay for the motor to be pulled....

So either he fixes it and I'm back to square with basically a rebuilt, rebuilt motor. I should be fine...

Still might pick up that JDM and make a project... Tempting..... Since it's ODB2 it's not as hai pulling on the electronics and stuff...

Can't afford 10 mpg muscle cars with kids going to collegsoon and now some very serious hospital bills...
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

I've got the car back... so far the gremlins are behaving. Machine shop had to deck the block, now why they didn't check the block when they found the head needed work it beats me... Definitely exhaust gases were passing out of the #1 cylinder this time.

Engine is running much smoother now, but I've only drove it to work so far... Not counting those chickens just yet...
    Robin Williams

Counted too soon Gremlin is back

OK so there's air in the coolant system AGAIN. About 1 week after I got it back... So, ruling out the catalytic even though I was pretty sure it's not the problem.....

The catalytic is no longer part of the equation as headers and a new catback setup was installed.

Oh, and there's no way the Machine shop pulled the engine the last time. I put red zip ties underneath that would have to be cut to remove the engine... They are still there...

So basically it sat there for 2 weeks at the machine ship, they decked the head, and put on new head bolts and another new head gasket... It ran fine but they had the timing way too far advanced.... Idiots had it a 14 degrees BTDC... Factory is 10-12.. The valve clattering was a sure sign.. Fixed that. This is the second time they have had the engine in their hands after their rebuild...

Also they pulled the injectos system apart, only do that if you are just pulling the head, but if lulling the motor you just remove the entire intake... Here's the final straw!! When he pulled the injectors it was obvious the O-rings on the injector rails were old and hard... They cost $25.00 and are nothing to replace.... Did they.... Nope,,, threw the old O-rings in... 2 days after getting the car back I'm smelling fuel..... Gas just pouring out the # 4 injector rail o-ring seal.... A REAL MALI-TOFF COCKTAIL WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!.. It would have been a matter of a few blocks before the whole thing would have been up in flames!!!!!!! Needless to say my patience with that machine shop is....

So, I've bought a low mileage JDM motor, I'll go over it compression test, new oil pump and timing pelt and water pump, send the bad motor off back to the same machine shop and tell them get it fixed.... If they say it costs $$$ I'll say go ahead and please hurry I have no car....

Then when they tell me the final price, if it's reasonable I'll work with them and pick it up... If not I'll tell them they can now keep it. After 20 yrs of dealing with them I've never seen so many rookie mistakes, re-using head bolts, old-o-rings, not removing the block like they should have... Deck the head you gotta make sure the block is decked or flat too!!! They Have not heard the last of this guy....
    Robin Williams

Final Resolution!!!! Runs like a champ! Woohoo!

OK,, so basically I spent $1900.00 at the machine shop to get myself the closest thing to a new engine.

Then engine started overheating 10 months (within warranty)... Pulled engine sent back to machine shop after replacing radiator, fan, sensors. Find out original head bolts used on a 146000 mile rebuild... Big no no, head gasket blew and got out of shape needed re-milling, but did not check the block.

Engine comes back, re-install, runs 1 week and then.... Back to overheating. This time machine shop takes the whole car pulls the motor, has it for 2 weeks, pulled the injectors apart (why I don't know) yet put back the old o-rings... 1 of them leaked fuel profusely on its return, I mean it would have been a serious fire!!!!

Now I pull the engine this time, send it back to the machine shop but wait,,,, the timing gear is off by 1 tooth... IDIOTS can't even line up the timing marks on the gears...

So, picked up a used JDM japaneze imported motor for $840.00 shipped with less than 50,000 miles, put on new timing belt, water pump and took the crank sensor off of my old engine and put it on... Oh and it has a lot more torque and 30 more HP than my old engine... I bought it on ebay from texasjdmcorp and recommend them highly. They sent me a very clean block, with intake and exhaust as well as alternator and power steering still attached.....

Now, I'm back and running for a week, runs like it NEVER did... very happy.. Should have done the engine swap over the rebuild...

I will be taking that engine back to that machine shop, if they do not want to do anything about it I will be putting some affidavits together and going to small claims.... I've got enough n him to prove he did not remove the engine when he said he did... I had some hidden zipt ties tha t had to be cut to remove the engine,,, funny they were still there when it came back... All photo'd before and after...

But it's all on the better... Basically the head and or the block are not properly decked.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help...
    Robin Williams

Wow what a turd, it's pathic the things people will do to get out of what they got paid to do.
    The fools cheaped out on $10 worth of injector o-rings is beyond stupid.
    I vote you put the screws to the bum! That's what I would do!

Atleast it's running well now NN, just sucks you got jerked around all this time.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!