might buy a slash roller. need somethings answered my friends.

ok so recently as some of you know i traded some things to get a car i wanted. love the car and dont regret it but part of that trade was my rc car stuff.

so im thinking about buying a slash roller and had a few questions.

ok it says to complete i need electronics, tires, body, and tranny. the roller is only $84 with shipping for everything else.

heres the add.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item416786f099

my question is how much would it cost me to get the rest of the parts i need to make it runable? dont need a castle system or anything like that. i would be fairly happy with just a basic traxxas brushless setup and some of the waterproof servo's.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Do you have anything? Because your going to spend a good chunk on a radio, esc and motor, charger, batteries, and servo. So much so that you would be better off to buy a rtr setup from someone upgrading to a more race worthy rig.

As to the trans they cost about 30 dollars.

Tires are about 60 a set.

Body's are 30-60 dollars.

For the price your better off buying a Castle sidewinder SCT system. The VXL one usually costs more and is less powerful.

A waterproof servo is about 40 dollars but not needed. You could get something very nice from Savox for the same amount.

Radio systems go from 30 dollars and up. (Hopefully you still have one)

Decent chargers are 30 and up.

Batteries can be cheap. But if you plan to race a quality pack is going to cost 50+.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

all i have is some tools basically lol. new to electric so dont have any of that stuff.

so think i would be better off spending the $250 for a new rtr version then?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    There are tons of slash's out there that are being sold as people upgrade to better racing trucks. So I would look for something used. The basic model is not bad but it wont be long before you want a brushless setup. Since your not new to RC I would just skip that particular stepping stone and dive right in to brushless and lipo. Just make sure you get some feed back before buying anything. There are to many people out there wanting top dollar for their slash's.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

yeah im not to intrested at all in lipo setups right now. maybe down the road when i have extra money to drop. im not going to race or anything like that really. nowhere to race near me anywhere. im just looking for a fun basher that can take some abuse. and slashes are fairly cheap compared to say e-maxx or erevo and can take a ton of abuse, which is good lol. i just want the rob maccachren body because its repping mopar i seen some rollers in the market place that didnt look bad really. not going to enquire on any though since i dont have the extra funds this sec.

i was thinking of just the new roller so i could have a new rig and build it to my purposes.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    If you just going to bash then a Monster slash may be more up your ally. Its just a slash with stampede tires.

And if your going to build one up you should take a look at the more popular upgrades first. For example the Pro-Trac suspension from Proline is one of the best things you can get. The kit will give you shock towers, links, wheels, and extended arms.

Something else to consider is an extended Stampede or Rustler. Then you could run the Mopar bodies from a Savage. They are basically the same as a slash just in slightly different classes. All the parts are interchangeable.

Here is my pede with a old 200mm Ram body. (There are some Stratus bodies if you wanted something a little different.)

Oderint Dum Metuant

castle electronics are not water proof are they? i was looking at that sidewinder sct setup and it retails for like $170 where as i could get the velinion 3500 setup for $150. but the sv2 setup is only $126 shipped. but, i really really want waterproof so i can run it whenever and wherever with no worries to be honest. what all options would i have for waterproof? just the traxxas setups?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Castle setups are not waterproof but they are water resistant. So unless you plan on running your truck like a submarine then it should be fine and you should have no issues driving in the same conditions as your nitro's. With that said the waterproof systems worth having are the Velinion, Venom, and Flux vapor from HPI. The Flux Vapor is just a waterproof sidewinder with a different badge.

The benefit of the castle systems is the programing. You can adjust the power, bec, brakes, traction control, throttle curve, brake curve and more. The motors are also more powerful than the Velinion or Venom. The sidewinder esc's can only handle 3 cell lipo (11.1 volts) and the Mamba Max Pro can handle up to 6 cell lipo (22.2 volts). So keep that in mind.

There are many other systems out there but they cost quite a bit more.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

ok, these are the things i needed to know. since i dont know anything about electric yet i just want to make sure it wouldnt get damaged. i mean i dont plan on driving into ponds or anything but i dont want to have to worry about every little puddle or anything either. and theres times its raining i would like to be able to go slide around on the wet roads and what not. and probably would be getting some mud on it as well being that i do live in the country. and there is a ditch right across the street with water that a few of my nitro's have ended up in.

so that being said if it does get submerged would it be ok after it dried out?
    Drag It!

The motors won't be the problem. If a Castle ESC gets too wet, it might not survive it.
    Nobody is born with experience

see, thats my fear really....... how wet is to wet?
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Basically you have to pour a good amount of water onto the esc before it fails. The sidewinder in my pede has hit its fair share of puddles and never skipped a beat. Even running in wet grass or light rain wont bother a Castle esc. If it did become submerged then it may dry out and work fine. More than a few people have had rice save their esc. If you wanted to you can waterproof a castle esc. But it could void the warranty.

Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    grave, do you preffer 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? that slash is 2 wheel drive, and you do need alot to get it going as ReaperGN mention. nihm batt is good for starters but, like you with rc experience i would'nt worry about having a lipo. i did too run nihm batts at the beggining and when i switch to lipo, nihm batts where never to be found, lol.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Champion
    CorrosionX is a great way to waterproof your rc. It's a oily residue that works well. You only need to dip 1-2x a year or whenever you no longer smell it.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    graves do you plan on running in wet conditions? You can waterproof the Castle Sv2 controller. Another option is an outerwears shroud that would help if you were to hit a little water. Not anything like submerging it which waterproofing would take care of the best. In your case if you are going to run a Slash 2wd the stock VXL-3S 3500 isnt a bad system. I just prefer 4-pole motors for efficiency and running cooler.

LIPO is totally the way to go. Probably the most expensive part is buying a good charger to start with. You can pick up the packs fairly cheap, most of the time cheaper than Nimh. Not only do they produce good amperage to feed these powerful systems but they can be charged fast(er) than nimh.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

i mean i for sure wouldnt mind going lipo in the future. i guess the biggest reason i want electric is for the versatility more or less. thats why i really want it waterproof.

as far as the 2wd vs 4x4 im not sure. i do know that the 2wd is cheaper though. and ive driven a few 2wds and there very fun for the fact of spinning around and all which is much easier to do than in a 4x4.

i think ive pretty much made up my mind im going to just buy the roller i posted so i can spend less money at a time then having to save up more at once. ill go with the 2wd and slowly pick up parts when i can afford them then. yes i seen some that were upgraded for sale even as rollers but i kind of want to build it new and my own way without having to buy somethings i will never use. but i mean if i can just save up and buy a brushless rig new ill do that and just rock the nimh batteries for a while. i mean i could almost buy it in one paycheck but thats if i didnt spend a dime on anything else. realistically though im looking at atleast 2 checks due to bills and gas and all that unless i start making more bank delivering pizza's on the weekend lol
    Drag It!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i'm in the process of building my 2nd e-revo and i'm using my aluminum 3.3 chassis, all this are from my spare parts that i put together on the weekend and i have order some more parts to complete it. tranny is locked on second gear and good to go. just thought i'd share with you of what i do on my spare time, LOL.

| Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

Grave...you're better off just buying the Slash XL-5 2wd drive setup. Comes with a battery and charger and waterproof,ball bearing and the new TQi radio. $272 from towers and use the code 010CX for $40 off. Not only that you do have the easy pay option and if you do add anything to the total is just splits up the difference in the easy pay. I did a T4.1 factory team and Tekin Rs pro/7.5t combo for about 160 a month. Not bad.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 07-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

the xl-5 is the brushed model right? i want brushless though. and thats why im saying i might just build it my way so im not spending even more to get it the way i want it by buying a rtr kit. and its an old a.m. radio but i do have a radio and receiver i can use for now as well. plus thanks to a bunch of people here i can get the rest of the parts i need through various sellers i have saved who always have stock rc parts for dirt cheap. i mean i bought 4 axle carriers with bearings, pillow balls dust boots and everything for like $8 brand new never used.
    Drag It!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUX**&P=ML plus code 010CY you're at 309 dollars plus have the easy pay option which should be 104 a month for 3 months. You get the VXL setup, 4x4 bellcrank steering, digital servo, TQi radio and the cheap charger and battery. You can buy used but I like having the ability to use Traxxas Warranty is something is wrong.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 07-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    Just so you know castle systems dont play nice with am and fm radios. The range seems to get cut in half in most cases for some reason. You can get TQI systems of ebay for about 30 dollars, a Spektrum DX2E for 60 and if you want a nice radio that has enough features that you wont have to upgrade for a long time you can get the Futaba 3PL for 115.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

ohh actually there was a decent sky fly system i really like a while back. i think ill go with that one. its a 2.4ghz. but yeah i already know i wont have much range with the one i have but some range is better then no controller at all the way i look at it lol.

let me see if i still have the thread saved.........

Drag It!

RC Champion
    Not a bad radio for the price but if you can afford something name brand I feel you will be better off. Its nice to be able to get parts or a new receiver at a hobby shop. The name brand stuff even supports high voltage servo's if you ever wanted to go that route. They also dont need firmware updates or additional bearings.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

yeah i just figured it would be a good cheap setup to get me going again. i would like to get a dxs (i think) controller one day. its the spectrum receiver i think? maybe? lol but the only local hobby shop very close to me doesnt really have much in stock at all which sucks. there way bigger into bikes, skate boards, model cars, and model trains........ its kind of annoying how little they actually have to be honest.

man, when i was at college though there was a little family run place called dads toy store where they were the opposite. they had full walls with the sliding sections so that basically it was 3 or 4 moving walls in front of eachother with nothing but parts from all the big companies. traxxas was there biggest, but they had alot of hpi parts, os, and others. im talking shelves full of batteries, jugs of nitro everywhere, hellicopters all over with a few planes, and then some model cars and trains lol.

to be honest i would really like to open up an rc store. where it was pretty much nothing but rc's maybe some model cars, mostly just paint for them though lol. and i would persue it alot more if i found out what all i needed to do in order to get it started.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Since your not in a big hurry to get a new radio save up and get something you want. It may even be worth the gas to go to a good hobby shop and see how they feel. No sense buying an uncomfortable radio. Here is a good review of some. It might give you something to think about.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/2-4-ghz-ra...tter-shootout/

And not having a good hobby shop close by sucks. Its nice to be able to stop in and get a problem solved rather than wait for an email. And while it would be cool to own one there is also the dark side where your hobby becomes your job. Better to be the guy with a ton of parts that hangs out at the local hobby shop.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    If you do buy the flysky, be aware that some of the features that you adjust like exp, dont actually work, and were never included in the programming. They are advertising that they do. The charge port dont work, and the v regulator causes the 8aa's to drain fast. Also the steering wheel bushing gets gunked up after a while and you will prob have to install a bearing.

These problems can all be fixed.

I just picked one of these up a week ago for racing and found out after the fact. I cant race without steering exp, Hobbypartz is not responding to me at all, so I am gonna have to spend another $30 to buy the hack kit and programmer, solder a port on, cut the case for that large port, buy a regulator, install that, buy a $5 bearing, install that... The radio that I bought and thought I was getting a killer deal on was actually only worth the $40 that I payed. You will only get what you pay for... Thought you would like to know...

In the end it will be a nice radio, but I did not think I would have to reinvent the darn thing to get it to work as advertised.

That 115$ 3pl is looking more and more affordable to me right now.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

i thought about that one or just picking up a traxxas link setup maybe.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    If you go the traxxas route getting a TQI with a docking base from ebay for about 60 is a pretty good deal. You need an apple product to use all the features but its comparable to the older TQ systems without one.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

what do you mean by the older tq systems exactly? i have never and probably will never own any apple products so if its 60 then ill get the one before that which came with my 4907 tmaxx. its the traxxas link 2.4ghz setup. i know i can get those for $50 all day long with a receiver if not cheaper now that the tqi is out. i never had any complaints about the old controller at all. only thing that would be nicer is if it was digital and i didnt have to change nobs back and forth between vehicles. but i dont have multiple rigs right now so it will work just fine.
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    At this point I consider anything before the TQI's to be older. The older systems really dont have any issues. The only complaints I have heard is when compared to high end radios the ergonomics's are not quite up to par (you wont notice this unless your switching radio's) and the programming is a pain. At the 50-60 dollar mark the TQ system's are hard to beat.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

yeah, i think i will go that route for now atleast. but like i said i have "A" controller and receiver to use for the time being until i have the money to get a better one. so why not use it? lol might have to see what i can find them for now a days lol.

i think soon i will start a thread over in the 2wd slash section so look for it there to add any input on a slash build up. ill post the link in here when i start it though and probably post the link for this thread there just because im super organized and like to find things easy and some helpful things have already been stated in here.
    Drag It!

oh wow, so the new 2 channel tqi controllers are only $48 shipped and the other one which is 3 channel is still $51 shipped.

but you only need a 2 channel for electric right? one for throttle/brake and reverse along with one for steering.

and if you have a nitro with reverse delete it would only need a 2 channel as well im assuming?

but how many cars can you use on the new controllers? i know the older 2.4ghz ones did like 30 different cars lol. just making sure its not like 1 or 2 cars otherwise i would spend the extra $3 lol
    Drag It!

ok started a thread. here it is, so if you dont mind guys post there for advise please

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ise-welcome%29
    Drag It!