RC Enthusiast

Convert 2.5 tmaxx with .28 engine (RB 928) ***INFO, PLEASE***

Is it possiable to convert my 2.5 t maxx to a big block, and if so what do i need to do it? I already have a steel spur on a 2.5 transmission. Is there a motor mount made by traxxas to install a big block? I found a t-maxx big block chassis on ebay. will all the 2.5 parts fit the chassis, or do i even need the big block chassis? I've never really owned a t-maxx until recently. i have several revos, and 4 tecs. but never had a t-maxx. the spur is huge compaired to the revo, so im thinking ill get more speed out of the t-maxx. What else will i have to strenthing, or is it even possiable at all to do?

You'll need a big block chassis kit to do the conversion. If you buy it new, it will come with everything you need to make the conversion. FLM, New Era, UE, Dynamite, HCR, all make chassis kits. Most of your 2.5 T-Maxx parts will fit on whatever extended chassis you go with. Traxxas does not make an option to convert your T-Maxx to big block.
    To handle the power of the big block you'll definitely want to upgrade your driveline. Stock 2.5 trans, diffs, and shafts will likely fail with a RB .28 engine.
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

RC Enthusiast
    What type of transmission, driveline, and diffs would you recomend?

RC Enthusiast
    Also what would you recomend for and exhaust? I got the truck for free, and i've had the engine for awhile now. I bought it brand new in the box for $120.00 and have been wanting to run it for some time now. I know its going to cost a few buck to get going. but i'd realy love to get it going. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    got to Robinson Racing and buy a metal gear set 4 the tranny and look on eBay 4 good steel drive shafts but i would put a O.S .21TM engine in the truck they have lots of power i know this because i have one and it broke 2 stock trannys and 3 metal drive shafts the O.S .21 is a bolt in engine so its really easy it will if the ez start and good thinking with the steel spur gear i had to do that too. and a new exhaust is good too you just have to find a manifold 4 the engine

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsmanblue View Post
    What type of transmission, driveline, and diffs would you recomend?
    I heard emaxx diffs are good. I would just get steel drive shafts and center. I would put a grey trans with f.o.c .If u don't mind not having reverse.
    I dream of big block power...

I've got the FLM ext chassis and love it, but there are others. It comes with steel rear dogbone center shaft and a bb engine mount. Everything from your 2.5 will fit. At minimum you'll need to do a forward only conversion on your black transmission, and maybe even a Robinson or UE gear set. For diffs, I run aluminum cups in 4909 diff cases and am happy with them, but I hear everyone talking up the brushless e-maxx diffs, so that's probably a good option. Axle shafts will at a minimum need to be upgraded to 3.3 T-Maxx specs.

Good luck. That engine is a monster!
    With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound...

RC Enthusiast
    Okay, thanks guys! You gave me some good ideas. I'm going with the new era bigblock chassis cause i just got a deal on it with the mount and other parts included. Thanks

I've ran the RB TM928...... You will need CVD's on the centers for sure and you will need a full set of metal gears.... This is one of THE MOST BEASTLIEST ENGINES YOU COULD USE!!!!!...

TO be honest it's a little too much for the TMAXX.... That RB is one serious mill. I drove and tuned a Revo with one in it... Brings a whole new meaning to throttle control.... The guy who owned it went through tranny gears (FOC'd) like candy....

Your going to need 1/8th scaled diffs, an extended chassis, Metal tranny gears and a whole lot of throttle control.... Thisis one of the few times I'd recommend going to less of a mill, say the the RB TM523.... Still a beastly motor and you will probably need driveline upgrades as well, but a bit easier to control...
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous