RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke

need to know????

need to know what the stock motor size is on a mini summit. Im trying to find a fan for the motor and esc. I found a dual fan from integy it says it fits a 540/550 size motor but i dont know if thatll work. oh btw. mines a brushless mini sum. thanks. If that one wont fit im open to suggestions from anyone who knows of a setup that will. I keep going into thermal shutdown. (running 2 series 1's in series)

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The size of the brushless stock motor is 380... not 540/550.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Also, keep in mind that the manual states that running in series is for flat, smooth surfaces only and only for short runs.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    well....thats what im trying to find a solution too.... the box said 40+mph......thats how I wanna play!!!! It woud be nice if the BIG print selling point was a lil more realistic.... but im willing to spend a lil cash to make it do what the big print says it will

RC Racer
    I quess all im saying is most people dont race (box says ready to RACE) at half power ya know

RC Racer
    what abt. the 4370kv brushless motor and 60amp esc ive seen listed on i#%^#!.com??? would that be better than stock? that whole system is 120 bucks??? would I keep overheating that one???

RC Qualifier
    Before you rush out and buy a whole new motor/esc, why don't you try a less aggressive gearing? Running in series is very tough on these little guys and should be used with caution (Even though it says ready to race on the box) I sugest getting some cheap 2s lipos and you will be in good shape with your temps. Even one 2s lipo with blow those silly nimhs out of the water!

RC Racer
    lipos really make that much difference??? ill doing the same speeds on the same surfaces wont it still get hot???

RC Qualifier
    Once you go Lipo you never go back. If you think about it this way: When you run your two nimhs in series you're putting 14.4 V through that little ESC at one time. When you can get the same speed out of a 7.4V 2s Lipo putting way less strain on the ESC it will run cooler. Now if you run two 2s lipos in parallel you will get great runtimes of 30 -40 mins (Never run lipos in series in this truck). No matter what batteries you use, you will have to monitor your temps and allow it to cool accordingly, I suggest, if you don't already have one, buy a hand held temp gun.
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 06-29-2012 at 02:53 PM.

RC Racer
    ive got a temp gun, im a mechanic. I guess thats part of my problem, im trying to use automotive theory and experience on an rc and they are obviously worlds apart. Im having problems wrapping my head around why a diff type battery would make such a difference....esp. running just as fast at a lower voltage??? Ive got a lot to figure out still. thanks for all the help. Im gonna try to figure this lipo thing out....all ive found sofar is lipos catch on fire (or smoke alot) and you cant discharge them all the way. oh and they are EXPENSIVE!!! just so i know and i dont have to try for myself (cuz i prob would just so i knew what happened) what happens with 2 lipos in series? I thaught the esc was rated for like 18v. two 2c lipos wouldnt exceed that.

RC Qualifier
    When you're dealing with lipos it's a different ball game than the nimh batteries. First off when you use your ESC with lipos (LVD on)it's not supposed to exceed I believe 12.4v (don't quote me on that) so that is why you can't run series lipos with the VXL 3m. One 2s lipo is 7.4v and one 3s is 11.1v. Lipo batteries are much more efficient and face less resistance than old nimh style batteries, they are capable of delivering all of their amps at all times throughout the pack. When you deal with lipos it's not the voltage that makes it fast its the C rating or punch, higher C rating = more amps released at one time. Search on YouTube some nimh vs. lipo comparisons then you will be a believer!

If your careful and follow safe charging rules you have nothing to worry about when using lipos. Plus you can buy lipos from a (name that shall not be spoken on these forums) online hobby shop for about 10 bucks apiece. FYI your local hobby shop will gouge you for lipos, eBay and online hobby shops are your friends in the RC hobby!
    Last edited by Maxximum Overdive; 06-29-2012 at 05:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    A good way I found to explain the difference is this. Lets say that you have two water tanks that are 1000 gals. If you put a garden hose on one, lets call that a nihm. Now lets put a 6 inch hose on the other, and lets call that a lipo. In the end you are going to get the same amount of water out, (energy). You are just gonna get a lot more at one time with the 6 inch hose. Just kinda simple way to maybe see the difference. Hope that helps.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Champion
    IMO. nimhs are like nicads. soon to be extinct.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Racer
    just watched some comparisons......HOLY CRAP DUDE!!!!! ill be back later.....off to get some lipos...lol

RC Champion
    lipos for the 1/16th scale are cheap also. i always use 2s. but im ready to try a 3s. 3s is rocket power.

but with 3s you need to monitor temps every couple of minutes. i do.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    This is one of my favorites! 3s is insane! Note: fast forward past him talking ? Lol!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au18m...e_gdata_player