RC Enthusiast

ERBE full Telemetry Pics, Part numbers and brief install

Okay no GPS but everything else. Ive installed all the sensors and everything works as it should, the only part I messed on is when I installed the the Spur Gear Telemetry Trigger Magnet Holder (part #6538) I didn't tighten it down right and it chewed a little of the outer ring off as seen in the first pic.

The first pic shows the Telemetry Trigger Magnet Holder (part#6538) I used the bigger holder that comes in the package. There is also a magnet in the package that fits inside the holder and it then screws onto your spur gear. Yes I know it's chewed up but that's part of why I'm doing this is so others won't make the same mistake you can see the magnet inside the holder at the 12:00 position

The next pic is of the Motor Gear Cover (part#5677R) this is the cover that goes over the spur gear. The only difference between this cover and your factory cover is the sensor holder. You can see the RPM sensor (part# 6522) this sensor allows you to have the RPM and MPH. In your Apple device you'll have to input your spur and motor gear numbers to give you the right MPH

Next is the Telemetry Power Tap Connector or long voltage sensor (part #6541) Disconnect the battery that is plugged into the red and black wires and plug this sensor and reconnect. Pretty self explanatory. The small red wire will connect to a grey wire which connects to your temp sensor the plug into the VT slot on the receiver.

Next is the Long Voltage Temp Sensor (part#6521) and the mount which is (part #6535) the sensor wraps around the centre of the motor and into the mount, look at the sensor in your hand and you'll see a heat shrink part in the middle of the wire and that is the part that goes inside the plastic mount. It's much easier to understand with parts in hand. Put the small white pad down first then the mount, run the zip tie through, pull it tight and that's pretty much it. Then plug it into the VT on your receiver.

All the excess wires will fit neatly into your waterproof receiver box with no modifications. Hopefully these pics will help you understand how all this goes together. This last pic is just showing what it all looks like on your device.

RC Champion
    Great pics!!! Thanks for the guide.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

RC Racer
    Nice write up.

One question - what did you do to get the Spur gear out? Did you actually remove the motor or just loosen the big silver bolt and shimmy the gear out?

One suggestion - Move your temp sensor on the motor closer to the pinion gear - that is where the motor gets the hottest and that is where the sensor should be. In addition, if you ever want to add a Castle motor fan, you will have to move the sensor.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Nice write up.

One question - what did you do to get the Spur gear out? Did you actually remove the motor or just loosen the big silver bolt and shimmy the gear out?

One suggestion - Move your temp sensor on the motor closer to the pinion gear - that is where the motor gets the hottest and that is where the sensor should be. In addition, if you ever want to add a Castle motor fan, you will have to move the sensor.
    Great point about the heat sensor. As far as removing the spur gear just remove the slipper nut and spring, hold the spur gear bearing in place and pull the spur gear off of it. This will allow enough room to clear the bottom where it hangs up

Nice write up, thanks
    Last edited by craig.mitch316; 06-28-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: I can't spell
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Racer
    FINALLY - I got the Speed Sensor installed!!! I installed the included 54T Spur gear - HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL...my ERevo is about 8 to 10 MPH faster...I hit 46MPH on the Telemetry Dashboard using my 2s 5000 mAh Lipos (yes I changed the Spur gear setting in the Garage setting).

I cant imagine running 6s - I give you guys credit who are - your nuts (lol)...

Jamie - I had the same issue that you mentioned where the magnet mount was rubbing against the inside of the gear cover. I tightened down the mount again and it seems to have greatly minimized the rubbing...
    Last edited by MAYOR VXL; 06-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    I had to glue my magnet onto my steel RR spur gear, but when I glued it on I used the specs of the smaller holder to glue it into position. Should I have used the specs from the bigger magnet holder? My car seems to be giving me top speeds that are too fast.

If the bigger magnet holder is what's required for the ERBE, then I need to move my magnet up a bit to meet the proper position.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller View Post
    I had to glue my magnet onto my steel RR spur gear, but when I glued it on I used the specs of the smaller holder to glue it into position. Should I have used the specs from the bigger magnet holder? My car seems to be giving me top speeds that are too fast.

If the bigger magnet holder is what's required for the ERBE, then I need to move my magnet up a bit to meet the proper position.

Wish I knew the right answer here. I think the magnet sat in the same spot on both the small and bigger ring. Best I can remember is they looked identical in the location of the magnet. Maybe someone else can weigh in and help you out. Sorry

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie_s_72 View Post
    Wish I knew the right answer here. I think the magnet sat in the same spot on both the small and bigger ring. Best I can remember is they looked identical in the location of the magnet. Maybe someone else can weigh in and help you out. Sorry
    Nice job with the guide, I was going to do one up now that I finally got my telemetry figured out but you beat me to it! I spent hours staring at it and trying to find information on how to hook it up, and after having done it, if there was instructions to begin with it would have taken less then half an hour to install full telemetry... Why wouldn't Traxxas post or provide instructions!? Oh well...

RC Enthusiast
    I'm not 100% because I haven't played with it too in-depth yet, but I believe that there are settings in the a
    Traxxas app for spur gear and tire size... Also, since you didn't use the holder, check to see that where you glued the magn

RC Enthusiast
    et is where it would be if it were in the holder! Maybe remount it if it is too far off.

RC Enthusiast
    A couple other tips: glue the magnet, even in the holder, of you change spur gears, extra magnets are like a buck and a half. Pry up the receiver (it's just double-sided tape) to make it possible to feed the telemetry sensor wire connectors through and into the receiver box... Our may need a magnifying glass to read the letters on the receiver so you can tell where to plug them in (if you're my age!)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OtterMN View Post
    I'm not 100% because I haven't played with it too in-depth yet, but I believe that there are settings in the a
    Traxxas app for spur gear and tire size... Also, since you didn't use the holder, check to see that where you glued the magn
    Thanks for the input and advice. I mounted and glued the magnet on the spur gear exactly where it would be if I used the smaller magnet mount. I held both mounts on top of each other last night. The mounting holes are the same, but the magnet position is different. I am almost convinced that the bigger magnet holder is needed for our vehicle. I will take my spur out tonight, remove the magnet, and remount it into the proper position within the specs of the bigger magnet holder.

Think of it this way:
    The closer the magnet is to the bearing, the faster it will move past the sensor. Since I used measurements from the smaller magnet holder, the magnet is moving around its position faster, which is giving me speeds that are way too high.

Instructions would have eliminated this trial and error process. Lol!

RC Qualifier
    After remounting my magnet to the specs of the larger trigger mount, I now have a top speed of 54-58 mph. I am on 6S lipo, geared 65/21. This seems correct! So the larger trigger mount for the magnet is the correct one to use for the ERBE.

RC poster
    Does it matter which side the magnet should face ?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Does it matter which side the magnet should face ?
    Nope it doesnt

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoroller View Post
    Think of it this way:
    The closer the magnet is to the bearing, the faster it will move past the sensor. Since I used measurements from the smaller magnet holder, the magnet is moving around its position faster, which is giving me speeds that are way too high.
    I believe this is incorrect. It doesn't matter where the magnet is and which holder you use (I used the smaller mount because the larger one rubbed against the cover). Yes, the magnet will travel faster being more on the outside, but this doesn't matter, the sensor is only picking up revolutions to determine RPM and speed and revolutions will not change depending on magnet placement. Its not taking the actual speed of the magnet, but basically counting revolutions within a certain time period.

Also, I didnt have to touch the slipper. Just slid the motor out of the way and removed the 3 bolts on the spur, placed the small mount againts it, and screwed the bolts back in. Also, my ERBE already had the correct spur gear cover with the sensor mount already installed from the factory. I bought it new last week.
    Last edited by rgs3; 07-09-2012 at 03:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rgs3 View Post
    I believe this is incorrect. It doesn't matter where the magnet is and which holder you use (I used the smaller mount because the larger one rubbed against the cover). Yes, the magnet will travel faster being more on the outside, but this doesn't matter, the sensor is only picking up revolutions to determine RPM and speed and revolutions will not change depending on magnet placement. Its not taking the actual speed of the magnet, but basically counting revolutions within a certain time period.

Also, I didnt have to touch the slipper. Just slid the motor out of the way and removed the 3 bolts on the spur, placed the small mount againts it, and screwed the bolts back in. Also, my ERBE already had the correct spur gear cover with the sensor mount already installed from the factory. I bought it new last week.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree as well. The closer the magnet is to the center, then the faster it will spin. The telemetry works by the sensor monitoring the speed of the magnet that passes it. This was proven by my change in magnet position. After placing the magnet within the specs of the bigger holder, my speed was reduced to what seemed appropriate to my gear set up. I was reaching top speeds of 90mph, and now my top speed is 57mph. If the size magnet holder doesn't matter, then wouldn't my speed have stayed the same?

Not trying to be a wise guy, just giving hands on experience. I am no expert on any of this

Props to all of us anyway for being the first to report in on installation experience. Since there is no manual for telemetry, which is really bad in my opinion.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I just called traxxas and they said the smaller magnet holder is the correct one to use for the ERBE. Got lots of good input from them and they said the key to my accurate RPM and MPH is the ability to enter a custom tire size. Let's hope that we will see an update in iTunes for this soon.

RC Racer
    I tried this my self yesterday and I have to agree with those of you who think that Traxxas should have a guide for this...

I used the large magnet holder (now learning I should use the small) and I used the long screws and by the sound it made on testing (just a quick "stand-still" test) this also seems wrong... Can anyone confirm long or short screws (or whether its the use of the large magnet holder that generates the sound). The clock showed 00:30 at that time so I have to revisit this tonight...

One more thing - I have one spear "Grub Screw" not fitting anywhere... Is that right or have I missed anything?

And another tip - I moved the ESC and in this way I could unscrew and fit the magnet holder without moving the motor or removing the gear... No readjustments needed and only 2 screws....

Erland

One last thing - Revoroller, I don't know how you managed to get different results but I'll put all my money on rgs3 as the sensor is only counting number of turns - nothing else (maybe the sensor didn't manage to pick up all the turns on one of your set-ups?)....
    The ERBE viking will never walk alone

RC Racer
    And should we use the small or big magnet holder for the ERBE??...

In this thread both is mentioned, Revoroller is claiming small one to be used, in this thread the big one (and that is from a Traxxas employee) http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...r-Speed-Sensor but he also states that longer screws should be used so....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Erland View Post

One last thing - Revoroller, I don't know how you managed to get different results but I'll put all my money on rgs3 as the sensor is only counting number of turns - nothing else (maybe the sensor didn't manage to pick up all the turns on one of your set-ups?)....
    No worries
    This rpm and speed sensor seems inaccurate to me anyways. Until I have the ability to put in a custom tire size, I'm not going to pay attention to my speed. I hope this is not an attempt by traxxas to make us run out and buy traxxas tires only. They knew that most people run aftermarket tires before making this system, so the itunes app should have the ability to punch in a custom tire radius for an accurate reading. Ohh well! I know I'm getting a wrong reading. So temp and voltage is my primary concern.
    Last edited by Revoroller; 07-10-2012 at 07:03 AM.

RC Racer
    I thought the app did have the ability to alter the tires - not sure if they offer choices outside of the Traxxas brand, but Im pretty certain you can alter tires.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    I thought the app did have the ability to alter the tires - not sure if they offer choices outside of the Traxxas brand, but Im pretty certain you can alter tires.
    Yes, you can change the tires, which changes the rpm and speed, but there is no option for dialing in a custom tire size, which would be awesome.
    Traxxas rep hinted that there might be an update later for custom tire size, but until then we are limited to using only traxxas tires in the configuration

There are no tire options to match my 3.2 Masher's

RC Racer
    Ok, think I got it down after redoing the magnet holder tonight...

The right magnet holder is the SMALL one and not the large. The smaller one is better aligned with the sensor but it will read the magnet using the big holder as well. More importantly the large magnet holder will grind on the spur gear cover. Both are plastic so it might just wear down but this is not an issue with the small holder.....

I also used the long screws and that seams to work out fine... I still have no use for the smallest one.....

Anyone knowing which tire I should select running on badlands/Maximizer?

RC poster
    Thanks for all the great info. I did my telemetry install before I saw this thread. I wish I would have read it before. It would have saved me some time. I didn't realize the transmitter was only mounted in the housing with double sided tape. I ended up carefully removing the pins from the connectors to get them into the housing and then reassembling them. I was trying to figure out what they were thinking when they designed it, since in was impossible to get the connectors into the housing with the transmitter in place. Live and learn.

My question is, where did everyone get the magnetic sensor part? (#6538) Everywhere I check says it's out of stock until late July. Where they available at some point and I missed it?

Thanks,

Dave

RC Racer
    Well, I will say this. I installed the LARGER mount, and heard clicking inside (as did the original poster) and I also had the same crack in the larger mount (as did the original poster) - so it would make sense to use the smaller mount - but Im not so sure about the shorter screws - Ill have to test that tonight...

You all make valid points about the mount size and how that will impact the speed the magnet will travel around... Lets just use simple math (not accurate but just doing so for simplistic purposes). Lets say the LARGER mount is 2 inches from center to edge and the SMALLER mount is 1 inch from center to edge. A magnet placed on the edge of the LARGER mount has a greater distance to travel (its going around a 4 inch diameter) and a magnet placed on the edge of the SMALLER mount has a smaller distrance to travel (its only going around a 2 inch diameter). Since the magnet will go around the SMALLER mount quicker - it will in essence go around more times in the same amount of time when compared to the LARGER mount - cause it has less distance to travel...which means the sensor will "count" the magnet on the SMALLER mount more times - given a result of a higher MPH...

Does that make sense?
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Are you kidding? I'll give you right on one thing - the outer magnet will travel faster....

but as the only measurement is the sensor which counts the number of times the magnet is passing by e.g per second and with that it calculates speed of the car based on gearing and wheel size.... And regardless of magnet placement and it's speed the speed reading for your car will be the same (given that the magnet is within range for the sensor).

Btw - I used the long screws and they seem to be working just fine together with the small magnet holder

RC Qualifier
    Well, I will say this. I installed the LARGER mount, and heard clicking inside (as did the original poster) and I also had the same crack in the larger mount (as did the original poster) - so it would make sense to use the smaller mount - but Im not so sure about the shorter screws - Ill have to test that tonight...

You all make valid points about the mount size and how that will impact the speed the magnet will travel around... Lets just use simple math (not accurate but just doing so for simplistic purposes). Lets say the LARGER mount is 2 inches from center to edge and the SMALLER mount is 1 inch from center to edge. A magnet placed on the edge of the LARGER mount has a greater distance to travel (its going around a 4 inch diameter) and a magnet placed on the edge of the SMALLER mount has a smaller distrance to travel (its only going around a 2 inch diameter). Since the magnet will go around the SMALLER mount quicker - it will in essence go around more times in the same amount of time when compared to the LARGER mount - cause it has less distance to travel...which means the sensor will "count" the magnet on the SMALLER mount more times - given a result of a higher MPH...

Does that make sense?
    Make sense to me. I even changed my magnet position and the speed changed. (my magnet is glued onto my metal spur gear )

RC Racer
    I have to ask... What do you think is right given your logic?

1. That the sensor meassures speed of the magnet and not RPM

2. RPM depends on magnet placement (****)?

I think the magnet and sensor are Odometers...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...ices/odometer2.

Anything I'm missing or getting wrong?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Erland View Post
    I have to ask... What do you think is right given your logic?

1. That the sensor meassures speed of the magnet and not RPM

2. RPM depends on magnet placement (****)?

I think the magnet and sensor are Odometers...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-dr...ices/odometer2.

Anything I'm missing or getting wrong?
    If I'm wrong I can definately say that I can live with it

I've tuned out the speed and rpm, and monitor temps and voltage mostly .

Nice link, very informative.
    Last edited by Revoroller; 07-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.