Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Mamba monster xl in merv?

So basically is it possible to fit the mamba monster xl 1/5th motor system into a merv? Any comments?
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i dont think its possible, have you seen the actual size of those system?
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    here is a pic of a 1/10 it takes up a lot of room, and i even had to cut a hole in the body cause to motor was so big.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    Yea I know how big it is. I have a water jet so i can cut custom plates. And I can make accustom body. If i put the reciever up front then I just need to figure out the esc. Is the weight to much for the merv to handle?
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    way too heavy, not to mention the lipos you have to use, it needs alot of amps for the starving ESC. 1/10 scale ESC/MOTOR are most common to go Big Block.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Qualifier
    The biggest I've seen has been the 1/8th scale castle motor the 2200kv

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
    The biggest I've seen has been the 1/8th scale castle motor the 2200kv

and even that, is still way too big for the mini revo platform

RC Qualifier
    first problem you would have no room for the amount and size of batteries it would take..
    second problem, 1/10 on a merv already puts tons of stress on the drive shafts, tranny, diffs, ect.. a 1/8 would prolly tear up something every time you drove it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by boston2612 View Post
    So basically is it possible to fit the mamba monster xl 1/5th motor system into a merv? Any comments?
    So basically it would be very silly to even attempt to put a 1/5th scale motor in a merv... But you could do a 1/8th... I saw it done on the tube... It would be a cool project for sure... just remember about your drivetrain possibly being
    harmed by the power of the motor

RC Qualifier
    the 1/10 would be the biggest i would go.. surly 1/5 would be way to much 1/8 would be to much.. you wouldnt be able to make 2 good runs with out stripping some thing.. i would surly burn up a slipper real fast..

RC Qualifier
    Okay so I found a 1/10 motor but I'm having trouble understanding KV. If KV=rpm/volt or (---)per(volt) then if I'm using
    A 9400kv motor I would be running 9400*11.1=104340rpm unloaded? Is that correct or am I not understanding something?
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    rpm = volt x kv... but i wouldnt recommend a high kv motor not that high any way.. the lower kvs you can gear taller and add more volts to them.. the higher kvs will get real hot real fast. essentially you could get the same speeds if not more from say a 4600kv with tall gearing on like 3 or 4s that you could get from say a 7700kv motor with the most volts it is allowed, and gearing that it could take..

basicly lower kv, you can have taller gears, more volts,
    higher kv opposite, but you get more rpm from less volts.

the 4600kv and the 5700kv are the most popular around here..
    i have the 5700 and i gear the crap out of it.. and it hauls! i love it

RC Qualifier
    Ok but I want to hit 70+ mph
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    Um mm it bleeps out website names? That's not cool
    Slash rocks!!!

Um mm it bleeps out website names? That's not cool
    The language filter blocks that website because it is banned from this forum. Please do not mention or attempt to link to it.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    It'll never fit. Never ever. If you want to see what I'm on about try and fit a coke can in your motor area and add on a couple of cm.
    There are fitment issues even before you consider the thing costs more than the car, the huge lipos you'll need which'll cost loads but that's besides the point because they won't fit, the weight, your drivetrain, esc fitment. etc.
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Ok sorry I didn't know. Why does itblck it?
    Slash rocks!!!

Ok sorry I didn't know. Why does itblck it?
    The website is blocked because they sell knock off Traxxas connectors and Traxxas views this as steeling from them.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    On the speed calculator. According to it with the 5700kv motor on 2s geared 45/35 u can get 76.94
    Now that's tall gearing it may be to tall and over heat.. 5700kv motor geared about 50/31 should easily get u 70mph with 3s

Quote Originally Posted by Jhsmith1987 View Post
    On the speed calculator. According to it with the 5700kv motor on 2s geared 45/35 u can get 76.94
    Now that's tall gearing it may be to tall and over heat.. 5700kv motor geared about 50/31 should easily get u 70mph with 3s
    I've trusted and used that calculator for years but I honestly think he has an error somewhere in the presets for the mini platform. I just dont believe you are going to see 70 mph on 2s even with a big block. On 3s I can believe it if you can keep the truck on the ground and that is a BIG IF but on 2s???? I just dont believe it.

EDIT: Maybe it is not an error in the calculator but the gearing suggested. Is anyone actually running gearing that high without any issues?
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I rub 31/45 on 2s with a 5700kv motor.. And can run all day with no heat problem. Don't have a gun so can't say exact temps, but a lot cooler than stock 2s geared 25/50. And believe it or not, I was running that setup 31/45 on 2s and behind it in a car, and I had speeds in the car I was in reading 60mph and I still had some throttle left..
    Was comin up on a curve and had to slow down..

RC Qualifier
    Strictly for a couple of straigth uberspeed-runs? Or general driving and bashing?

The MERV might be a bit smal plattform for such a high velocity.
    Not to spoil the fun, just saying.
    If your are after insane speeds maybe a bit bigger car would make mor sense?

You'll need foam tyres, metall drive-line and a serioulsy lowered ride height plus some ballast at the front to keep a mini somewhat controllable at that speeds.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    I've trusted and used that calculator for years but I honestly think he has an error somewhere in the presets for the mini platform. I just dont believe you are going to see 70 mph on 2s even with a big block. On 3s I can believe it if you can keep the truck on the ground and that is a BIG IF but on 2s???? I just dont believe it.

EDIT: Maybe it is not an error in the calculator but the gearing suggested. Is anyone actually running gearing that high without any issues?
    I told him how fast the calculator says too!
    I did the calculator with his setup on 2's it was mid 50's

you can easily do 70+..... with a 1/7th scale traxxas xo-1

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just ran my merv with a neu 4550kv with 35/45 but with 3.3" foams on a 3 cell .gearing was fine but had limited space and under hard throttle any imperfection in the road caused it to wheelie at 65mph so I had to shut down.had plenty left but its kind of unnerving being on one wheel at that speed!

Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    I just ran my merv with a neu 4550kv with 35/45 but with 3.3" foams on a 3 cell .gearing was fine but had limited space and under hard throttle any imperfection in the road caused it to wheelie at 65mph so I had to shut down.had plenty left but its kind of unnerving being on one wheel at that speed!
    Just like with the speed Rustlers I think the biggest issue with a speed run MERV is keeping the car on the ground not the power to push it faster. I think the MERV because of it's size is even harder to keep planted and stable at speed.

Still I just would have to see a MERV going 70 give or take a few mph on 2s to believe it,,,even 60 is questionable to me on 2s
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Yea 50, every time I do that calculator I always forget to set lipo to 7.4v.
    I always just click on lipo max and 2 cell and it puts 8.4
    Sorry about that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    with the 5700 2 cell speed hawgs 3.6" yours tires now? right 35/45 69.2mph
    your old tires 3.3" road rage 2 cell 31/45 56.6 -35/45 63.9
    with a 3 cell 3.6" tires 26/45 79mph minus some aerodynamic drag
    no real reason to gear much higher !

now thats all according to the speed calculator not that it will pull that over 70 to well
    Last edited by 50togo; 06-27-2012 at 07:58 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Don't come on here and bash me. I have made a erevo 1/10 go over 90mph with dual Mombasa monsters. I want a mini that can hit crazy speeds. I have 5 3.3 revos for bashing and 2 2.5 tmaxxes I got a summit to. Now I'm looking for speed. That's just me though.
    Slash rocks!!!

RC Qualifier
    the mamba max pro 1/10 system will run up to 6s lipos, you could zip-tie a 1/8 ESC if you want but no lipo battery will push out a current that's more than the mmp will handle IMO. If you wanted a bigger motor you could probably use a tacon 36x74mm motor, 36mm is the standard diameter of a 1/10 motor but 74mm is 50% longer than a standard motor, people use them in their 1/10 e-revos. Again on a traxxas 1/10 VXL system a 2wd rustler will go 70+mph, the 1/16 revo should be able to 70+ from the same motor specs, so you're limited to what you can do with a pair of 2s 2200mah or 3s 1800mah lipos, unless the carbon integy chassis allows anything bigger.
    I like turtles.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    with my neu 4550 geared 35/45 3.3" foams on a 3 cell around 76 on the speed calculator.
    i just didn't have enough room on my speed run
    but then again if i had the room i would run my 3.6"speed hawgs for more top end
    that even taped on 3 cell would still balloon
    Last edited by 50togo; 06-27-2012 at 08:08 PM.

RC Competitor
    Maybe it's because your front shocks were on backwards!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by 50togo View Post
    Maybe it's because your front shocks were on backwards!
    Jhsmith1987's merv build post # 140
    Last edited by mindy9773; 06-27-2012 at 11:32 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So it would stay on the ground under power better? They had limiters in them with very little travel and didn't bind. Looks like this now anyway!

RC Competitor
    Yes I would say the front shocks on backwards would make a difference! Why not run your exotechs backwards. Even when someone has their tires on backwards someone will tell them. Look at the front skidplate you ran, all scratched up! Plus I remember you posting a problem with the stock shocks, you noticed a problem!

RC Qualifier
    Hey 50, is there an advantage to using aluminum battery doors?

Gotta link?
    Merv: Neu, MMP

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When I took them off I turned one around no difference at all.maybe with full travel it would make a big difference with limiters shock moves 1/4"
    the skid plate got scratched up when I rode one wheel at 65 and it came down too hard because it was so low. Lighten up already

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by chilidillo View Post
    Hey 50, is there an advantage to using aluminum battery doors?

Gotta link?
    never have to replace a door again because the Velcro was hard on it! Only integy aluminum I would own! http://thetoyz.com/Traxxas/Mini-1-16.../Integy/12790/

RC Qualifier
    If custom work is not a issue you could place monster lx, how ever the modding would be that serious so I wouldnt be beneficial. I mean, how about the massive lipo power? 3s lipos for the merv have hard time supplying the castle 4600/5700kv motors with mmp esc because thay dont have enough amps. 6s regular size lipos are as big as the whole merv, no to mention the added weight that will be hard for the chassis.

Cool idea yes, functional, well no.

You can go fast with regular mmp and 4600/5700kv motor.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Just like with the speed Rustlers I think the biggest issue with a speed run MERV is keeping the car on the ground not the power to push it faster. I think the MERV because of it's size is even harder to keep planted and stable at speed.

Still I just would have to see a MERV going 70 give or take a few mph on 2s to believe it,,,even 60 is questionable to me on 2s
    for speed like that you must run 3s believe me , also gear it agresive and roll on foams , make sure tou mount cvd's all the way and use a good esc with powerfull motor
    With 2s you dont have enough serious power to reach the 70 mph range.

at the point to keep this 70+ mph with a merv to the ground i must say your right and thats why fast speedrunning rustlers mount a ounce of lead to the front.
    also a merv gets (know that from my own speedrunner) at speeds above 60+ unstable as ....

also guys here on the forum (dont mention any names ) with there i do 72 i do 76 mph
    Just prove that with a video to me and let me see your running skills

as i speak for my own i do speedrunning 90% of the times with and on 3s with MMP and castle 4600 geared 35/45 with a Gyro and rolling on Fasttrax foams and al tweaked to the max!

but trust me you must fight to keep it on the road for insane runs
    Last edited by Mossie; 06-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Xtreme has no limiits