Thread: Breaking merv

RC Competitor

Breaking merv

Im going to be getting a merv or a rustler soon still can't decide I'm On a budget of 350$ and need to know how you all break your mervs

RC Qualifier
    All depends on driving style. I have had both rustler vxl and currently have the merv vxl. I'd honestly unbiased opinion go with the merv. Their is a little more matienence but they are so much more fun!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dennerracingteamdrt

RC Competitor
    Also want to know about series conector with 2 stock batteries and heat issues

RC Competitor
    As for mydriving style and conditions Im rarely going to be jumping going to be mostly on grass and gravel.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    we dont really meant to break our merv, its more of an user's error (mistakes) but if something breaks you upgrade it from there. most ppl start upgrading their a-arms to RPM, cvd's on for corners, aluminum knuckles, aluminum push rods/linkage, aluminum bulkheads and before you know it you have spent a furtune but, its worth every pennies
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Competitor
    But what are the main errors that break the parts

RC Racer
    1) the servo isnt strong enough,so that will break after some time , i replaced it with ******* 390
    2) the bulkheads are rubbish, so you will have clickin diffs: shim them from te start, see this: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-your-bulkhead
    3) the only thing i broke apart from that are a lot of a-arms, rpm is the best solution.
    4) i lost a huge amount of body clips, use velcro,stick them on the baterycompartiment and the body and you dont need clips anymore.

my friend has a brushless rusty,but he got it for the price of a brushed one because the shopkeeper is pretty old en he made a mistake.
    Last edited by newbie123; 06-27-2012 at 02:44 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JMBEESON View Post
    As for mydriving style and conditions Im rarely going to be jumping going to be mostly on grass and gravel.
    The merv would be awesome on the gravel compared to the 2wd rustler. The rustler would be awesome on grass compared to the merv.

The merv is pretty low even with the biggest tires that "fit" on the merv. So heat would be an issue running on grass at "rustler speeds".

The rustler would be "better" at taking the abuse from jumps that the merv.

If the difference between 2wd & 4wd doesn't matter to you, and the "coolness" of the merv, I'd go with the rustler.

But if you read through these threads there are people who have had many RCs and say they have the most fun with a merv.

From a "fun to drive" perspective, any traxxas RC compared to a merv is a "tough" choice imo.

With a strict budget of $350, a merv is a bit too much $. With near certainty, stuff (servo, chassis, bulkhead, differentials) will break. So a repair/upgrade fund is needed to keep playing.

With that said, I have a "T-Bone" full skid plate & my slipper is set so that it actually slips, no standing flips but no broken diffs either.

Those two things will save alot of money. But the T-Bone alone would put you over budget.

Get the Rusty.

RC Qualifier
    rpm a arms are the very first thing you should get..
    then alum. axle carriers.
    if you get a t-bone bumper and/or skid plate, you wont be breaking things very often at all..
    with the t bone. you may strip some diffs and spur gears, or burn up some slippers..
    but you wont be breaking anything when you crash.. my tbone has WAY exceed my expectations. i never would have though it would have save as much money for me as it did