RC Qualifier

Lexan Shell Spray paint tips?

Hello good people...

This will be the first full shell I have painted (Painted panels before). Just wondered if there are any tips? It is going to be using multiple colours so I going to mask off the parts that will be different and spray the main colour first.

I also intent to use nail varnish for some of the detailing? Any issues with this reacting badly to paint lexan?

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Well I've never done it but make sure you paint on the inside.
    Jesus, Lights, RC, Minecraft, LoL

RC Qualifier
    Hehe...Good point...If I do make a mess of the inside...then I will spray the outside!

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You always want to paint the inside of the body and use Polycarbonate paints. There are a few different ways of doing it. I cut and trim my RC body first ( usually have an outter film to protect it ). You can use a hobby knife and break off pieces ( what i do ) and or use body scissors, curved and straight. I find the hobby knife way better if you are good at cutting straight lines. Then take a fine grit sand paper or dremel tool with a mild sanding wheel and clean up the edges. I then scuff up the inside of the body with a scotch bright pad for the paint to stick to better. I used this technique on my last painted piece. I've never had any problems with my paint chipping or flaking without using this. It only takes a couple of minutes what can it hurt. Lastly clean your body with soapy water to get all the oils an dirt out. Let it air dry or use a fan to speed this process up. Now you can apply graphics or mask off any designs that you want. You can also use Parma Fasmask to make designs. Paint it over the area you'd like the design. The best thing is to draw it on the outside of the body with a washable one or permanent,this can be taken off with alcohol later on or pulled off with the outter protective coating. Once you have it how you like it you can start painting it. This first coat needs to be a real light dusting. Let it dry, 15mins, then do light coats until its covered ( 3-4 ). Then peal your graphics and paint them. If this is lighter then you can cover the whole body with this. I've seen people paint light coats first then darker later. I've painted 5 bodies and they've all come out pretty good. I'm no expert, i'm working on getting better each time.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Ace. Thank you. Hopefully it will go well. I can see what I want in my head. Just need to take my time which is something I'm not normally good at.

RC Champion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

best "How to paint rc shell" vid on youtube.

RC Champion
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys. Awesome truck Captain. :-)

RC Racer
    Remember to paint the dark colors first and then the lights. If you do the light colors first, adding the darks could alter the overall shade of the lighter color and even just "bleed" thru.
    Rob
    P2DE Driver.

RC Qualifier
    Oooh....good point!