RC Champion

Spur gear meltdown and slipper overheated w pics!

So lastnight I ran a couple test runs with some friends. I noticed my slash seemed to be not moving but the rotor was turning. So I take off the body and smoke was coming out of the slipper area and you can smell burnt plastic. It was pretty strong. So after we took the rear apar I found my spur gear all melted all over and the slipper plates and pads were insanley hot and warped. It was entertaininf at my expense.
    The gearing was 22/50. Thought my slipper was tightened down. I know the gear ratio is bad. Looks like I may go up in slipper and get a smaller pinion lol. Was thinking about the RR Gen3 slipper but all metal isn't always good. Need to have a weak point to absorb the energy and reduce damage. Just have to figure out what would be ideal gearing for a mamba 2200 for bashing and still be able to outrun my buddy's erbe and savage flux!
    The other issue is should I just switch to mod 1 gearing since I like to run in sand and gravely areas.

Gotta love rc. So many tough calls to make...
    Last edited by Dknuckles; 06-25-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Go mod 1 matey ! I run 18/40 .
    Slash 4x4 2650kv sirius(castle) mip's
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Revo slipper with aluminum pads has been bulletproof for me. You don't want your slipper locked down. 1/8 to 1/2 should work well. I can't see Mod 1 vs Mod .8 helping with your situation.

RC Champion
    The mod 1 would be since I like to drive in sand alot. Just a toss up on which gear set up I want to go. I may just stick with what I had and run it again. The slipper may have been too tight. Trial and error...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run revo specs slipper, metal bearing adapter, aluminum motor mount, 1/4 loose mmm-2200 on 3s and no issues.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 06-25-2012 at 04:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You will probably want to tighten it actually. I have done the exact same thing on mine. Tightened it up a bit and put alum pads on and havent had a problem since. I run the 2650 on 4s geared 21/50 will try 6s soon with 25/50 for some speed runs.

That's impressive work. Lol. People usually go TO mod .8 from 48 pitch for help with sand etc... So I don't know what you'd gain going to mod 1. If you do, report back on the results so we'll all know.

Were your driveshafts spinning freely when this happened?

Sent by magic from my phone
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksprogis View Post
    Go mod 1 matey ! I run 18/40 .
    do you use the Revo 40 slipper TRA3955 ? or metal?

how does it hold up?
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    My MIP axles held up great. I'm thinking since I had my surgey on my hand that it may not have tightened the slipper enough. But stranger things have happened...