RC poster

Traxxas Power Cell 8.4V NiMH 3000mah

Hi guys

Got a little issue, im trying to charge the stock Traxxas Power Cell 8,4V NiMH 3000mah with the stock charger what came with my Traxxas Slash 2WD VXL, first charge went fine and it took about 8hours or so like manual said

the car runned fined no problems etc, but when i began to charge the battery a second time next day, it charged and charged and charged some more, it runned about 10-11h and the charger was still not showing its full, the battery was kinda hot so i unplugged it right away and have not touched it after that

do i dare to try to charge it again or should i take this as a dead battery, i have not plugged it into my vehicle cus it didnt charge in normal time so didnt want to risc my slashes health.

I charged the stock battery only once and with the stock charger, the battery and the car is no more than 5days old, im not planning to send the battery to warranty cus im using 2S Lipo 4200mAh anyway, just wanted to know is it safe to even try charging this battery pack anymore

After the first drive with the nihm battery i took the battery out of the car right away, and the battery sitted in a battery safety bag about 24hours before next charge, and i have been keeping it on dark cabin away from sunlight/heat and moisture

RC Champion
    You need a better charger. I am a noob and bought an upgraded charger (30.00) when i bought my slash. Bought a traxxas ez peak plus a few weeks ago best money i have spent yet.

RC poster
    I recently purchased a Stampede 4x4 VXL and I'm new to the Hobby. I had the same experience, stock battery first charge took over 10hrs on the stock charger. Normal charge times after that. I notice the green light indicator doesn't change as it should when plugged into a surge protector rather than directly into a wall socket.

I just bought an EZ Peak Plus charger and I'm still exploring it. I bought this charger because I know I will soon invest in battery upgrades soon enough. I'm toying with the stock 7 cell 3000 Mah battery. Being that the EZ Peak charger charges at 4amps I have I've charged the stock battery with the Plus at 4 Amps. It charged in about 50 mins. The Plus limits the amps Automatically. I discharge the battery after each use to 6.3v at 2amps before charging again. I'm curious to try really quick charging the battery at 6 amps. Has any one else tried this before?

Thanks
    Last edited by Swerve; 06-26-2012 at 06:19 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Swerve, Charge your 3000 mAh at 3 amp max (1c)

RC Competitor
    I have an older prophet charger that I used with my nitro cars, has 1,2,4 amp rates and automatic trickle charge, is this considered ok for todays nimh batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyd View Post
    I have an older prophet charger that I used with my nitro cars, has 1,2,4 amp rates and automatic trickle charge, is this considered ok for todays nimh batteries?
    I always charged my nimh's at 2 amps.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Bloodrage, its ok to run the battery as-is, and as the other poster said, you need a smarter charger. Sometimes this happens with the wall charger.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...