RC Qualifier

Summit Locking Diffs/ 2 Speed Transmission

Ok, so here comes the newbie questions.... If the Summit is already 4WD, what would locking the diffs do? Im trying to figure to out if I want to put a locking diff in my Erevo/Summit. Im already in the process of putting a Tekin RX8 sensored BL system in my Erevo. How hard would it be to put a 2 speed transmission in my Erevo? And could I put it in and leave it a manual 2 speed, meaning if I wanted to switch speeds could I just take off the body and switch speeds? Would it stay in one gear if I didnt have a servo hook up to it?

Thanks for help,
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    Ok, so here comes the newbie questions.... If the Summit is already 4WD, what would locking the diffs do? Locks left and right sides so that one side doesn't "diff out" or spin ineffectively when the other side is stuck. Im trying to figure to out if I want to put a locking diff in my Erevo/Summit. With or without servos and extra radio channels to control them? Im already in the process of putting a Tekin RX8 sensored BL system in my Erevo. How hard would it be to put a 2 speed transmission in my Erevo? It should drop right in. And could I put it in and leave it a manual 2 speed, meaning if I wanted to switch speeds could I just take off the body and switch speeds? Would it stay in one gear if I didnt have a servo hook up to it?

Thanks for help,
    Clay
    Lastly, manual transmission gear switching is definitely an option and is very possible. Some have done that on their Summits temporarily when they've blown the trans servo. It stays in the gear you left it in. I don't think it is necessary with a properly (low) geared stock ERBE, but might be in a brushed version. I suppose a Tekin might be even smoother with a 2-speed trans, but I have never used a Tekin. I think being under-geared is something to research on the Tekin equipment.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Thank you ksb51rl.

RC Qualifier
    Any idea what a Summit 2 speed transmission would be worth?

RC Qualifier
    Mount Airy, aka "Mayberry" North Carolina
    A patient man could purchase one from a popular auction site for less than $30

Looks like they average around $50 on that same site
    The Kid

14.4 Dewalt & Misc. el-cheapo mods

They are the same trans ,the summit has the two speed kit installed you will still need the linkages and servos +4 ch radio.could do it manually until you collect the parts

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas makes a 2 speed kit for the erevo. It comes with everything you need.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by woog421 View Post
    Ok, so here comes the newbie questions.... If the Summit is already 4WD, what would locking the diffs do? Im trying to figure to out if I want to put a locking diff in my Erevo/Summit. Im already in the process of putting a Tekin RX8 sensored BL system in my Erevo. How hard would it be to put a 2 speed transmission in my Erevo? And could I put it in and leave it a manual 2 speed, meaning if I wanted to switch speeds could I just take off the body and switch speeds? Would it stay in one gear if I didnt have a servo hook up to it?

Thanks for help,
    Clay
    The locking diffs mean that if you have a wheel on either axle in the air you don't loose drive to the one which is still on the ground. Open diffs transfer power to the path or wheel of least resistance e.g picking up a wheel when going over rocks. This usually ceases forward momentum.

Diffs locked means that both axle are joined together so if one wheel is still on the ground it still gets drive even if the other is off the ground

RC Champion
    The summit is 4 years old and there are still no other rtr truck with locking/ unlocking diffs
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE