Hybrid View

RC poster

First Time Buyer Seeking Advise

As the title says: I'm a first-time RC car/truck buyer and need advise on the following.

I've committed to buying a Slash model since I feel that it suits what I want (a project to immerse myself in when not tackling the immense amount of homework/research involved in a degree in physics) as well as being well suited to building a respectable short-track course around my house (≈ 150' x 75').

My proper question, though, is this: should I go for the 4x4 straight away, or take it slow, get used to the more tame-seeming 2WD, and consider the 4WD at a later time? I don't mind paying for either, so the price point isn't an issue except where benefit is concerned. That is, if I'm going to race it about the track that I build (and largely introduce/fiddle with obstacles using various trajectories, rotations, and other bits that people like me find entertaining), do I really need the 4WD model, or will the 2WD provide the same amount of satisfaction for ≈$200 less?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

RC Champion
    From a noob myself buy the 4x4 you will not be disappointed. As a first time buyer I bought the 4x4 as recc by my lhs and have no regrets.

RC Qualifier
    Just got my 4x4 and i wish i wouldve bought it a lot sooner!!
    Rustler Vxl,Slash 2WD,Slash 4X4,SPC Lipos

RC Enthusiast
    I was also a first time buyer. 4x4 is amazing and you get the brushless motor.

RC Qualifier
    just bought it after buying and xtm! broke alot on the xtm so bought a slash and have not broke one thing yet! love it so much

RC Champion
    Get the 4x4 - it's actually easier to drive than the 2wd! Both are very durable when compared with nearly all other makes of truck
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Competitor
    Any breaks just buy RPM .... And you made a great move buying a slash

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer2128 View Post
    Any breaks just buy RPM .... And you made a great move buying a slash
    Thank you for the input, everyone. Given your responses, I'm thinking that if I buy the 2WD, I'm going to end up wanting the 4WD after a couple of months and being about $700 deep with a truck that I kind of like to drive and a second that I really like to drive instead of $450 with one truck that I really like to drive lol. Thank you again, lads (possibly ladies — the internet is strange like that).

I'm curious about this post, though. What do you mean by this, exactly? I get that if anything breaks, I should buy RPM. But, I'm not clear on the acronym RPM? I'm sure it's not revolutions per minute lol. Perhaps it's shorthand for replacement parts? Or, maybe it's a brand of part? Again, not sure. Thank you all again for the input.

After owning 2wd slashes for a few years I just ordered a Sl4sh and a few hop-ups.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    RPM makes after market parts.

RC Qualifier
    Yep get the 4x4 and save yourself the money for upgrades when you want to go faster.