RC Racer

New Rally Paint Job

I picked up a Rally body for my roller I picked up on ebay and painted it with a hex pattern. Came out pretty good. I also put in some led headlights. They are the ones that can be angel eye or full light.

I call him Mr. Angry Snake now because even though it's a hex pattern, still looks like a snake, especially with the intercooler parts looking like fangs.

For running gear I have a BrushlessHobbies 120a ESC with Tacon 2848-540XL 3900kv 2 pole motor.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh now that is nice! How did you get the hex pattern?

I love it, awesome Job
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    I do crawlers too and on RCCrawler.com there's a guy Zeroack that does templates. He offers them free of charge on /http://rctemplates.blogspot.com/. You just print the PDF and then cut it out. If you have access to a vinyl cutter you can do that, but I ended up just printing on paper and cutting that. I used the wasp pattern and printed it at 150% (to make it bigger). If I did the smaller pattern, I would have had it cut out of vinyl and made the edges sharper, but I really wanted it soft like this.

For the paint job I used two spray cans, no air brush. I did the center in black metallic and misted the sides and front to get the speckled pattern. I tend to use the mist with a can trick because it adds texture to the paint job. If using spray cans, shake it up and don't warm the can up with a hair dryer like usual, just spritz the paint so it doesn't atomize too well. That way you get very nice looking speckles. It's always best to practice on paper before. Then with the black still tacky, stuck the paper to it and did the hex in sections. I did the sides one at a time, then the hood (halves because I wanted pattern on front fenders), then roof, and finally rear fenders. After that back with black.

There you go, I gave up all my secrets for this paint job

RC Racer
    nice paint job !
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/281683941894234/

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome thanks. I have done something similar but printed out the designs on sticker/label paper then you can stick them on and remove them as needed.

RC Racer
    I've had trouble with some sticker paper not peeling off well after they get paint on them. It's like when you use the vinyl mask and they get super stretchy when the paint gets on them. Which one did you use? I want one that isn't very sticky and I love the idea of printing directly on the sticker paper. That would save me a step.

RC Enthusiast
    I just use full sheet transparent shipping label paper. I have had similar problems but I find if make sure the paint is totally dry and with lots of patience it usually works. I also use Parma acrylic paints and a airbrush. I haven't done something as intricate as the wasp pattern but I think I'm gonna give it a try. I've already printed out the template and just trying to figure out how to lay it out on the focus rally body. Thanks for the info for the templates.

RC Racer
    Looks great man. Good job. Air brush?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaboy501 View Post
    Looks great man. Good job. Air brush?
    See Post #4