Hybrid View

RC poster

Dynamite Speedpack 6000 mAh and a new Ultimate

Greetings all,
    I'm new to the Community having decided to splurge on a new RC truck since my first MRC Tamiya Frog thatI built way back in mid 80's.

I met up with my brother at a dragstrip he races at halfway between where I'm currently working at and where he lives over Memorial day weekend. He told at the end of the day some guys break out the RC vehicles and race around to have some fun after a hard day of racing. Sooooo....in order to participate I basically the same setup he has except I have a different body color configuration than he has. He was telling me how he got a 3S battery and how it was almost too much to handle. Wanting to be somewhat competitive I bought a Dynamite Speedpack 6000 battery though the LHS guy pointed to a Speedpack 5300. I figured the 6000 would give me more run and decided that was the way to go. After getting home and finding out the 6000 is thicker than the standard battery bracket I'm going to have run out to the HS tomorrow to get one that'll hold the battery in place.

Now for a few questions. Is the Speedpack 6000 battery OK? Other than the thickness are there any other issues I should watch out for? Is a cooling fan recommended? I now see others talking about other battery brands. What makes the others a better choice?

I bought a Duratrax Onyx 245 charger. The HS owner said it should take a few hours for the battery to charge up but I could swear I had it charging for only about 45 minutes when the charger started playing a tune. Is this a realistic charge time? If so I guess I'm happier since it means I won't have buy as many batteries.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

Thank in advance....Sprags

RC poster
    Is it a 2s or 3s pack? The stock motor runs hot on a 3s pack. There are 3 ratings for lipo packs s=number of cells or voltage,speed, mah=capacity,runtime, and c=burst rating,how many amps it can deliver at any one time,torque. Hope I helped!

RC poster
    The complete description of the one I got is 'Speedpack Gold 7.4V 6000mAh 2S 30C LiPo, Traxxas'. The hobby shop owner told me the 3s packs had a tendency to heat things up quicker and fry out the electronics...plus make driving the car tougher because of how much power. I hope that helps ith getting some advice.

The one thing I forgot to ask about was about if it's possible to put the truck in training mode. The manual says that do that I press the EZ Set button until the LED turns green and then solid red and then begins blinking red...and then when it blinks 3 times I should release the EZ Set button...and then it either turns solid green or solid red. Solid green of course for low-voltage detective is what should have since it's a LiPo. The thing I'd like to know is how does it know it's supposed to be green. Is that from what I have it set to prior to changing it to training mode?

What a sweet combo - Slash 4x4 ultimate and a brand new lipo.

True 3s power will heat things up because there is more juice flowing but your electronics will handle it just fine. You should buy an infared temp gun (I got mine from harbor freight) to see exactly how warm your motor is getting and take action for temps over 140F. You can add a cooling fan or heat sink to the motor to lower temps, or take a break from running it.

Keep in mind, your vxl system was designed for 2s-3s lipo so you aren't hurting anything running this battery.

BTW, that's a good battery. Other's I can recommend are SPC brand and venom. Once you get used to the power of your new battery, you can try out a 3s for the sheer fun of it.

You can put it in training mode but you could also exercise restraint with the throttle to achieve the same effect.

Charge time on the battery sounds comparable to my experience with that size lipo.

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...