Thread: Noob motor?

RC Champion

Noob motor?

I have a brushless 6808 slash. I run nimh right now till they die then 2 lipo. I have no interest going 3. I know you can upgrade to a better motor my question is would a more efficent motor now drop motor temps on nimh and help me prepare for lipo? If so what? I don't know jack about upgrade motors and don't care if it costs I just don't want to buy junk.I e-mailed traxxas support and they replied with "possibly, talk to your local traxxas dealer for best information" and gave me a link to a dealer locator.

RC Qualifier
    Yo can run castle 3800 on 2s and it pretty fast. Gotta gear low. The 2400 is very very fast and can be geared up on 3s and 4s. The 2200 is insanely fast and is capable of up to 6 s of u dare!!! Probably overkill but who ever said too much power is a bad thing right. All depends on your budget and driving needs. Watch some youtube vids. There are many people running all three of these popular choices. And there are many more out there so do some reading and decide whats best for you. I run the 2400 and love it. Plenty fast for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    If you just bash, or bash and race where they don't limit you to only a 2 pole motor, robdog is right. Look up the castle systems. They are 4 pole motors= more torque. You can gear your truck more aggressively or leave it stock and not really have heat issues. Castle makes good stuff that is reliable. Look at some of the stuff traxxas put their stuff into. Reasonably priced also. Very fast on 2s, silly on 3s.

RC Racer
    Are you looking to upgrade esc also. If so mamba monster 2650kv combo is awsome. Run it in mine never have heat issues. Doesn't know how it would be with nimh does 2s fine 3s is perfect plenty of speed tons of torque.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

If you go castle or any other 4 pole motor, you're gonna have to change the esc too. The vxl3s will not run well with a 4 pole. It has kind of a rev limiter and will only stay in a mid range rpm. The 3800 or 2400 combos are great. If you never intend to run 3s then the 3800 is your best bet. However the 2400 on 4s will run just as cool and will have tons more power.also..keep in mind when you go to the bigger motors it would be a good idea to also upgrade the driveshafts.
    (2) RC8TEs, RC8.2E, (2)slash 4x4 2650, Slash 3800

RC Champion
    The Castle MMM/2650 is without a doubt the best 2s system, runs super cool and can be geared on 2s to destroy the Stk system on 3s.

You could probably save $50-$75 on the MMP/2400 set up but the MMM/2650 is worth it, 2yrs ago I contacted castle creations and its what they recommended.

Its the best upgrade I've done to these, I tried it on 3s,4s,6s but settled back to 2s on both Mine and the Kids
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4