RC poster

4s Lipo Gearing Help

Hey guys, I'd like some help with 4s lipo. I will be using two Gens Ace 2s 5000 mah 40c lipos. I am thinking of using a 21/54 setup. I've done a lot of research about this setup and many people seems to be satisfied with that setup. However I'd like to go to the extreme and use a mod 1 gear. I don't understand what mod 1 gear is but there's a video of the ERBE on youtube reaching 72 mph speeds with that gearing on 4s lipos. The guy used a 25t 34t mod1 gear setup to attain that speed. What will my temperatures be if I use that gearing (25t 34t mod 1)? Will this affect my motor and ESC? I'd like a little bit of information about mod 1 pinion gearing. Thanks guys.

RC Qualifier
    Mod 1 refers to the angle of the sides of the pinion teeth. Sometimes referred to as "pitch" as well.

The significance of the pitch of your gears is that you need the pinion and spur to have the same pitch. Other than that, it won't impact anything.

It is the gear ratio, not the pitch of the gears, that impact top speed.

25/34 gearing is very aggressive. You will probably have temperature issues very quickly.

I would not suggest trying that gearing unless you have a temp gun. You could fry your motor and esc if you aren't careful.
    ERBE, Summit, Thunder Tiger MT4

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    Mod 1 refers to the angle of the sides of the pinion teeth. Sometimes referred to as "pitch" as well.

The significance of the pitch of your gears is that you need the pinion and spur to have the same pitch. Other than that, it won't impact anything.

It is the gear ratio, not the pitch of the gears, that impact top speed.

25/34 gearing is very aggressive. You will probably have temperature issues very quickly.

I would not suggest trying that gearing unless you have a temp gun. You could fry your motor and esc if you aren't careful.

Thanks for your help LaTufu. Probably not a good idea then as it's too aggressive. Another question:

What if I use 22/54 gearing with Proline 40 Series Road Rage tires and 4s Gens Ace 5000 mah 40c lipo. I will be doing high speed runs on asphalt. The wing and wing mount will be removed and the truck will be lowered. What speed can I attain with these specifications?
    Last edited by rc_fusion; 06-20-2012 at 06:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    You should see speeds somewhere in the 42-45 mph range. That's what I hit with a GPS, using Road Rage tires and 21/54 gearing. I also kept the wing on.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    You should see speeds somewhere in the 42-45 mph range. That's what I hit with a GPS, using Road Rage tires and 21/54 gearing. I also kept the wing on.
    Do you have temp issues with the 21/54 gearing?

RC poster
    any overheating happening with that gearing?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    i also run gens ace lipo 2s 5000mah 50c-100c and i geared it 20t/54t but, i only run it on the street though so my temp are very cool (ESC 110, MOTOR 130). now on the short grass i get 125 ESC and 150 motor but, i dont run agressively just couple of speed run back and forth, then slow down.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | 360mm XO-1 GT |

RC Qualifier
    It definitely heated up quickly, but it never got above 150. I only did it for speed runs. When I switched back to Trencher X's, and went back to off road, it got too hot too quickly for my liking.

I stick to 18/54 now. No temp issues with that setup.