RC poster

Best gearing for my slash?

Well, my setup currently is a Mamba Max Pro ESC with the Velineon 3500 motor, on a 2s 5000mAh 35C lipo. I have switched to 32p gears for the durability and I am currently running 14/56. I run my slash on all different types of surfaces.. when at home(apartment) I can only run on concrete, but this isn't very often as i usually go somewhere else to drive. The other places I run are a sand track near me(very dry, slightly course/rocky sand) and a short track I built with some friends(soft dry dirt, kind of sandy) and i run both of those tracks with the proline sc paddles. Also sometimes I have the urge to shred through dirt fields near me, pretty much baseball fields but not groomed. So basically I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for me as far as gearing.. I'm not too worried about crazy speed, as this system is plenty fast for me.

One other thing.. Ive heard if your motor is hot and your ESC is cool you should gear up, and vice versa. Although i have also heard the exact opposite saying that if your motor is hot you need to gear down. Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    How hot is the motor running? Some esc's will handle heat so well(like your mmp)on 2s that it might stay at ambient temps. That esc should not be much more than warm with a velineon 3500 on 2s. If that motor is at or under 160-165 after a full run, then you are getting close to the tallest gearing(lower ratio) you should bash with. If it is hotter than that gear down with a smaller pinion.

I never understood that rule as it is impossible to standardize it from esc to esc... If either of my components are running too hot, I gear down.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    I dont have a temp gun at the moment but am looking into getting one. After almost a full pack on my track I can hold my finger on it for about 2-3 seconds until it starts to burn. I know that's nothing specific but does that sound like its running too hot? I may try a smaller pinion, cause i would like to keep temps as low as possible after running a full pack through it.

Also, how do I know if I'm geared too low? Do i just keep messing with pinion/spur sizes until I get a temp I'm happy with?

Thanks a lot!

What tires are you running? Tire size will affect gearing. I have that same setup on a Slash -same esc/motor/32p spur- but run a 15t pinion with buggy tires. I had a 14 on it but thought it to be too slow so I bought a 15 and a 16t pinion and decided on the 15t. I use a temp gun and haven't seen motor temps over 130F, but I also run an aluminum transmission case.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    I'm running the tires that come stock on one of the slash models, can't remember which one. They're traxxas kumho replicas.. I also run the proline sc paddles though, which I expect to get a little more heat because they're paddles.

My truck started making a loud funny noise yesterday and i discovered that the motor shaft was bent.. so I'm sending the motor to traxxas for a replacement. My bearings might also be getting worn, which im sure could cause heat.

Anyways, I think I'll pick up a couple pinions and a temp gun while I'm waiting for my new motor.

Also, which transmission case are you running? & how much did it cost you? I've been wanting to get one, and I would love to be running those temps.

Thanks everyone for the info!