Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Here we are again, new tires, with all things I do, its "go big or go home", so I got some 2.8 Trenchers and belted them with gorilla tape, twice. I used my "Dremel" with wire brush to rough up the bead so they would stick the best they could. I must say, I absolutely hate rims with channels for the bead now, these are SO MUCH easier to glue.

One done!

Taped!

Ready for a "rim job"...

All ready for glue.

Glued.

I must say, these have some REALLY beefy tread and I'm REALLY excited to try them out. They look like they would tear anything up with the huge lugs.

My new 2.8 trenchers weigh in at 390 grams with two rounds of gorilla tape, whereas the old worn out SC trenchers weigh 240 grams with no tape.

Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 01-31-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Have you tryed them out yet?
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    I drove it a little yesterday but everything was frozen so I didn't get any grip.

It also just snowed like 4 inches today.

I'll probably wait for warmer weather to give them a good run.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    I drove it a little yesterday but everything was frozen so I didn't get any grip.

It also just snowed like 4 inches today.

I'll probably wait for warmer weather to give them a good run.

Yeah
    This winter isn't as fun for me cause I'm actually into rc's..
    I haven't even got to try out the streetfighters I got from Christmas
    We have a 11* c day this week but then all the snow turned to water
    Now there's 2 inches of snow from this morning

RC Qualifier
    Yeah it kinda sucks unless you go and spend big bucks waterproofing you truck, getting paddles, and skis.

The trenchers are quite a bit bigger than the SC trenchers. They make my truck look like a dragster with the little tires up front.

How fast do tires wear out for you?

RC Qualifier
    It really depends, but the trenchers were already bald days after I put them on.. lol. Looks like they lasted 2 months before they wore out. (Looking back at my posts)

Though I mainly run on street so that's my main problem.

Okay
    Thanks for the quick responses on my questions

RC Champion
    You need one of these:
    http://highgearrc.com/hgrc_047.htm
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    That thing is really a beast, now! Hope you have extra drive shafts!! If you thought they were ovalling out before.... The MIP'S X-Duty's may really be in order, now! That's a lot of rubber making contact. I just can't imagine how fun that truck must be. I tear my E-Maxx up on 6S & 2200kv. I broke two Slash chassis before I got an aluminum one, but never like your carnage at the track. Way to go!!
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    Hah, thanks for the compliments, I was thinking about driveshafts sometime, but these HD driveshafts have been holding up great. I was thinking to get Traxxas CV shafts for the 4x4. I'll probably call Traxxas on that and see what they say about my situation and see if they will work.

It is a really fun truck to drive because it never overheats even with the most intense bashing, I don't see it overheating.. or even heating up in the slightest.

I bet that e-maxx is really fun on 6s, how much do you break on that? Lol..

This will not turn into a 1/8th conversion as far as I can see into the future.

CM10 Samsung Epic - Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 02-03-2013 at 11:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The truck is amazing, my 2075 finally gave out, it really doesn't like 7 volts.... I replaced it with a proper high voltage servo, a JR DS821HV. It was the cheapest servo they had at HobbyTown, it was $20, it is nothing earth shattering, it offers about the same performance as my old 2075 IIRC. EDIT: Just looked it up, it really is not a GREAT servo, but it does the job for a good price; the torque and the speed is pretty blah.

The tires and everything are great, truck in general is a lot of fun, I broke my rear shock tower so I have to decide what I'm going to do with that. Most likely I'll get another stock one(cheapest).
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 03-26-2013 at 12:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    How fast do tires wear out for you?
    My trenchers have been running about 2months now and I still have a lot of tread left I got m2(medium) compound, still have a lot of traction and last long

RC Enthusiast
    nice! but i dont see how you still have stock a-arms

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slash_Lambie_VXL View Post
    nice! but i dont see how you still have stock a-arms
    I have stock fronts because I haven't broken them yet. I have RPM rear a-arms and bearing carriers as well as a brand new RPM rear shock tower.

I said it once and I'll say it again, this truck is AMAZING. SO fast, SO reliable. The massive rear tires did what I thought they would do, they provide amazing grip on pretty much all surfaces, they absolutely destroy street and this light snow we still have.

I also feel a differential failure coming fairly soon (just the nature of the beast) - I plan to get a set of differential gears cryogenically hardened next time I need to replace them.

RC Qualifier
    Well this looks like fun...and it was. 6s lipo lcg mamba monster slash. Geared for about 100 theoretically.

Samsung Epic | Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    Did you have to make a gear change going to the bigger trencher tires?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill6680 View Post
    Did you have to make a gear change going to the bigger trencher tires?
    No I didn't. This motor doesn't care what its geared at. I took it out on 6s and it was just warm when I got done doing speed runs, though it was around 40 degrees out and the motor fan was running at ~25volts.

Last edited by Kitteh298; 03-28-2013 at 01:37 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Few tips...
    THROW AWAY YOUR OLD GLUE BECAUSE IT DOESN'T STICK WORTH A .... .
    and
    Follow this guide for maintaining a smooth suspension by maintaining your sliding driveshafts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqmKoj2yc8

RC Qualifier
    There's more than one way to destroy an old set of tires. I opted for 6s.. HAHA.

RC poster
    Is putting the CASTLE CREATIONS MAMBA MONSTER 1:8TH 25V ESC V2 WATERPROOF W/2200KV MOTOR in my slash 4x4 lcg overkill or just plain fun. I have a mamba max pro sct 1415 but I want the waterproof and more power. Am I overstepping my boundries? I know the 2650 KV is entirely too much. I only run 3s lipos and like power and speed the more the better. Advice anyone?
    Last edited by stephenmarron; 04-28-2013 at 03:58 AM.

RC poster
    Stay away from the cv shaft they tend to break at the pin hole, has happened to me many times. Now I have 4 cv shafts sitting in a bag with several replacement hubs for emergencies.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmarron View Post
    Is putting the CASTLE CREATIONS MAMBA MONSTER 1:8TH 25V ESC V2 WATERPROOF W/2200KV MOTOR in my slash 4x4 lcg overkill or just plain fun. I have a mamba max pro sct 1415 but I want the waterproof and more power. Am I overstepping my boundries? I know the 2650 KV is entirely too much. I only run 3s lipos and like power and speed the more the better. Advice anyone?
    I don't think you are overstepping anything, if you have the money, do it, but set a torque limit(I found about 7/8 is best) so you don't blow anything up. It is a bulletproof setup, at least for my truck. The only thing I have trouble with is finding tires and bodies because its so fun to do speed runs and wheelies, I go through them pretty fast. I love having this much insane power that doesn't hardly ever break. Wheelies at 45 miles an hour is just crazy. I recently raised my torque limit and man have I been missing out!! Going from 4 to 8 is a vast change and I love it. I love hearing that high frequency brushless whine.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think you are overstepping anything, if you have the money, do it, but set a torque limit(I found about 7/8 is best) so you don't blow anything up. It is a bulletproof setup, at least for my truck. The only thing I have trouble with is finding tires and bodies because its so fun to do speed runs and wheelies, I go through them pretty fast. I love having this much insane power that doesn't hardly ever break. Wheelies at 45 miles an hour is just crazy. I recently raised my torque limit and man have I been missing out!! Going from 4 to 8 is a vast change and I love it. I love hearing that high frequency brushless whine.

You gotta vid of that thing running?

Wheelies at 45 miles an hour is just crazy.
    I would agree.
    I'm guessing you don't have a slash body on your truck.
    Because it's a known fact that at 45 mph if the front of that truck comes up at all its going over..
    When I ripped a motor wire on one of my 3800's I thru a 2400kv castle to finish the day,IMO,what a wast.
    I wont say you cant do it,anything is possible,but would also love to see a 45mph wheelie and not have the truck flip over.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately I don't have a video but I can say this for sure, it is absolutely incredible. I was running without a body, and yes I do know what happens. I actually had a full back flip one time which was just crazy, flipped right over onto its wheels.

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately I don't have a video but I can say this for sure, it is absolutely incredible. I was running without a body, and yes I do know what happens. I actually had a full back flip one time which was just crazy, flipped right over onto its wheels.
    Nice, if you could get a vid up that would be sweet to watch

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'll get a video as soon as possible. I tried to last night but I hit a curb trying to record and drive...

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    It's been ran hard the past few months and I got it really dirty today so I figured it needed a teardown, and rightfully so, the transmission screws have really loosened up, even fell out and into the transmission!

-The tires needed re-gluing. - one has a small hole in it.
    -Transmission needed cleaning, re-grease, and re-seal
    -Everything needed a good scrubbing.
    -Needed to replace a led in the headlights.
    -Heat shrink exposed wire - From a few too many upside down slides without the body on...and broken rear body mount.
    -Open ESC and motor/fan to clean

DIRTY!

Problem? Yup.

Just getting into it..

Done for the night, its all clean, tires drying, but I need parts, screw is stripped for the arm mount and I haven't got another one. The diff case is also in pitiful condition, all the screws just spin in the case, one pin is super glued in place, and now there are gouges all over it from the screw that fell out.

LHS List
    -Diff case
    -Small screw for transmission
    -Servo Tape
    -RPM Rear Body Mount

RC Qualifier
    sexy new diff case, it feels almost like a locked diff for some reason.

RC Competitor
    how much did your mamba monster motor cost you, and where is the cheapest website to buy one from? i have a rustler with the velineon system in it i wanna take that out and put it in my drift car
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE, EVERYONE PAYS THE PRICE

RC Qualifier
    I think I bought mine for $250 from Craigslist.. I then had to pay 70 to replace it from castle as I smashed it into a curb.

I would say eBay or if you can find one on Craigslist, that's even better. For a Mamba Monster to fix in a slash, you need a transmission case with no wall around the motor.

See Here:

RC Qualifier
    Few updates.. I re-taped my tires, used a heat gun to de-bond the glue. I also taped them differently, i used tape on both sides rather than just in the middle. I think that's part of the reason why the tape came off.

Replaced the chassis because it finally broke, and the battery strap broke as well.

And since I broke my rear body mount, I made a roll bar that would protect my shock tower.

Last edited by Kitteh298; 05-15-2013 at 10:49 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I figured since I had headlights that I should have some tail lights because it will really help when running at night.. I bought some 5mm red leds and mounted them in my roll bar thingy, they should work really well. The glue is setting up now, I'm really excited

RC Qualifier
    Broke my chassis.. AGAIN.. so I figured I would make it better this time.. I went with a Frankenstein mid-motor setup. Haven't ran it yet but I bet it will handle really well, my front tires didn't have much weight on them before so that made it corner kind of poorly.

RC Qualifier
    That mid-motor setup handled like absolute garbage. I bought a new chassis and this is currently my cleanest and strongest build yet. All of the holes are clean and precise. I'm making a aluminum plate that will hook into 6 of the top holes on the chassis and attach directly to the transmission rather than to the shock tower and that taking all the stress. I'll have it together over the weekend for sure. This setup will be bulletproof by the time I am done with it.

RC Qualifier
    Got it all done and it is bulletproof. 1/8th inch 6061 aluminum..

RC Competitor
    Been a while since I've logged onto this forum but holy @$&! you've done a lot of work to your truck! What a beast!

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I've really been hitting it hard this summer making my truck nice. I have even more to share, new gearing (25/50, up from 22/54), and I bit the bullet and shelled out $38 for a rear set of g-locs because the tape came undone on my trenchers for the second time and I'm fed up with them and wanted a proper street tire. They handle great and look very sexy. I made a front splitter from an old buggy wing I had as well.

Also, I've only now had to replace parts of my driveshafts (stub axles and female half shafts) after eighteen months of hard running.. WELL WORTH THE $20.

Last edited by Kitteh298; 06-13-2013 at 09:57 PM.