Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier

"Monster" Power - Mamba Monster Slash!

Some may have seen my post in my older thread where I put my spartan's electronics in my slash.

My "waterproof" velineon speed control burnt out when I jumped it in a pool, so I finally decided to "go big or go home" I was tired of my velineon always overheating anyway.

Now for some pictures.

The system is off at castle for warranty repairs. Motor is still ok I am told, but speed controller broke.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    what gear box is that?i put my monster setup in my slash from time to time i have a tacon 4074 2150kv with a hobbywing 80amp xerun esc that i run on 3s it runs great but just to much power for the truck no broke parts but my traxxas anacondas look like drag slicks now i went back to my mild setup a tacon 3660 1800kv motor that i gear up for speed 40mph and it runs great on 3s but on 4s the motor gets way to hot
    Rustler 3s 550 2200kv
    emaxx 5s 2150kv

RC Qualifier
    It is a venom gearbox, I linked to my other thread that said that.

You can never have too much power! I'm surprised you are only getting 40 out of that setup, I think mine is geared to about 80 on just a 3s, it is going to be scary fast on 6s.

I wanted speed but no heat, this was a viable option, so I jumped on it. Unfortunately, I have to wait for a new esc because when I plugged in 6s, it jumped forward and shroted out both my batteries internally and the esc is borked somehow, castle told me like 4 weeks to get a new one... ;(
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 06-20-2012 at 11:14 AM.

RC Qualifier
    40 mph is on the 1800kv motor i can gear higher but theres no need the 2150kv motor on 4s i have hit aroung 60 mph could have got more but ran out of room
    Rustler 3s 550 2200kv
    emaxx 5s 2150kv

RC Qualifier
    Why such a powerful system in a slash? And for what purpose really?

RC Qualifier
    Haven't I already explained this? I want extreme speed and power without the heat of most systems running just a 3s battery. Like my velineon, I had to stop to cool down and I really didn't like it.

Oh and just the thought of putting such a beast of a motor in this little truck tickled me so.
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 06-20-2012 at 01:27 PM.

RC Champion
    ya, you can never have to much power. i plan on getting the mmp/2400kv setup which i hear is over kill. overkill is awesome though. just gotta put a brick on the front and wheels and tires from a go-cart on the rear. lol

RC Champion
    It is a bit over the top, but I like your thinking. You can never have too much power... Hope you get the esc back soon.. would love to see what you run with 6s...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    if your just a basher like myself you can use any setup you want i understand racer going with normal setups but i like onroad myself no off road my next project is making my emaxx a onroad monster with a 5s setup
    Rustler 3s 550 2200kv
    emaxx 5s 2150kv

RC Racer
    Man that is sick. Makes me want to take the motor off of my ERBE and put it in my slash lol.

RC Qualifier
    I will certainly post some pictures and videos when I get my speed control, you can expect some videos in about 4 weeks (castle told me 2-3 weeks for more mamba monsters to get in)

I am going to go racing with it when I have it back together, I will have to ask if I qualify for the spec class now... LOL

As for the mamba SCT system or whatever that one is (the 4 pole one) I saw those for $164, new. But, I didn't want to just throw any old system in there, I wanted something different, something so over the top.
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 06-21-2012 at 07:26 PM.

RC Qualifier
    So I called castle today, asked if they had any mamba monsters in stock. They did, but none with the traxxas connector. I told them that would be fine, so they are sending out a speed control and connectors. So happy! It will be here on Thursday! I will take pictures of whatever.

I also might take a video, what's the best way to use my phone to record and drive at the same time?

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    tape your phone to your head. lol.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by redlightrandy View Post
    tape your phone to your head. lol.
    I don't know about thaat , lol.

RC Qualifier
    Got it back yesterday(thursday). I ran it for about 15 minutes and I was just about to take it in, when suddenly, I spun out on some gravel and smacked the motor on the curb. It is toast, I think I may have caused it too, I put longer screws into the can afterwards because the holes were stripped. I was told after I did it that it probably caused a short inside of the motor. It gets really warm really fast and will smoke on full throttle... make people sad. Theres an $80+ crash, gotta do the flat rate non-warranty replacement... At least my boat still works and I still like castle.

RC Qualifier
    what pitch?
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx

RC Champion
    that is why i suggest bumpers and tranny cases that can use them.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    Got it back yesterday(thursday). I ran it for about 15 minutes and I was just about to take it in, when suddenly, I spun out on some gravel and smacked the motor on the curb. It is toast, I think I may have caused it too, I put longer screws into the can afterwards because the holes were stripped. I was told after I did it that it probably caused a short inside of the motor. It gets really warm really fast and will smoke on full throttle... make people sad. Theres an $80+ crash, gotta do the flat rate non-warranty replacement... At least my boat still works and I still like castle.
    all that power though right?

RC Racer
    Yeah i heard that the 2200kv motor was overkill but i am getting a 2400kv with mmp for christmas so i would love to compare the two motors and see what the difference is?

RC Qualifier
    I was using a mod 1 40t spur and a 17t pinion. But that no longer worked after the crash so I bought a 56t spur and a 18t pinion in 32 pitch

The night that I crashed, I promptly ordered a t-bone rear bumper / wheelie bar. (Thanks Toyboarder!)

And yes, there was quite a bit of power, it felt like a big semi though.

That 2400kv motor is MUCH different from the mamba monster 2200kv one. Never used one, but the mamba monster is made for big trucks(like the e-revo). The 2400 is a 4 pole, it is basically like this motor but it revs a little higher and is smaller?

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    Too bad you found out the hard way, like I did to always have a motor guard. Yeah, the 2400 will rev a bit higher, but will laugh at a mere Slash. The VXL is a 3500k motor, so that would be fine. You throw more volts at a low KV motor to get high speeds. They have more torque, so they don't heat up as much. While high KV motors will get you a lot of speed, they lose torque as the KV number increases. They lack the torque to get the truck up to speed. This is why they heat up. Also, the higher the KV, the faster they are spinning with the same voltage. This also produces more heat. The heat kills the motor.
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    I would get rid of those progressive springs !!!

RC Qualifier
    That screams lots of money to me, these work fine, so why change them?

RC Qualifier
    Well I got the bumper in and installed about a week ago. I also called castle and they said they wouldn't get the black 2200 in until September, but they had the green they could ship out now, so I got that and it will be here Wednesday.
    Here are a few pics.

I also went and got a 54 tooth spur and a 22 tooth pinion.

Last edited by Kitteh298; 07-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    ITS ALIVE! It runs really nice, the motor isn't even working. The traxxas one has shorter wires which sucks, but the new green one has quite a bit longer wires. Now the esc actually mounts.

Oh and MAXXXMASHER, keep in mind, the 2200 and 2400 are 4 pole motors, so they will have gobs of torque

Pictures as always!

Sent from my Samsung Epic using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by Kitteh298; 07-11-2012 at 10:29 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I really want to see videos of your new system.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    I look forward to it as well. I don't know how I will do it. I only have my phone that makes decent videos.

How do you like the Tbone wheelie bar?

Sorry about the carnage damage...
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I really like it, I especially like the rubber wheels. Instead of the hard plastic or rubber on the traxxas one.

RC Racer
    i have a MMM 2200kv system in my slash and i will tell you from experience you will need a RR idler gear, MIP X duty drive shafts, and a few spare top gears and diffs. The MMM has way more torque and power than the slash transmission can handle but when you can run 4s all day long in the sand dunes without having any heat issues running 22/50 gearing its well worth it. I can also tell you that if you plan to run 6s you will have to lower the ride height all the way down and add alot of weight to the front end or even a wing to the front. I have ran 6s a few times and i have never been able to get past 1/2 throttle without the front end ending up behind the rear end. Even running 3s it will be a beast. On the gps i have seen 55.2mph with a 3s and 77.8 with 4s and 6s the fastest i had was 72.4 and that ended up in a flip but i was only at about 2/3 throttle.

RC Qualifier
    Haven't had any problems yet, my driveshafts are ovaling out a bit though. I locked my slipper for some wheelies and never changed back.

I went to the track the first time and it ran really good.... for the first 5 minutes. I got a little too trigger happy off a jump and nailed it into a wall, broke the chassis right in half. I had it coming though, it was already cracked on the side as you may see in one of my older pictures.

I am glad it broke because now it looks like a brand new truck. I got a few other goodies along with the chassis. A rpm front bumper and nerf bars. Before I started racing I changed my shock fluid from 45 all around to 45 in front and 60 in the rear. I also bought traxxas red anodized caps so I would never blow a shock again. I am happy

PICS

RC Qualifier
    Maybe you can get steel driveshafts and if you break the chassis again you can get a STRC LCG chassis.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    I thought of the STRC for about 2 seconds, I then realized that it would cost upwards of $60. Another stock chassis only cost me $18, $23 with some screws. 5 years on the same chassis is dang good don't you think?

I will be forced to look into different drive shafts sooner or later, these are starting to oval out on me.

In other news,I ordered some trencher tires and traxxas rims at the lhs and set my punch control to 75%.

Once again, I am very happy with my truck! I can finally run it how it is meant to be ran.

RC Qualifier
    Ok, I went to the same way. I made my watercooled slash to a slash monster.
    Maybe you are thinking "why I bought a 2200kv and not a 2400kv?": Because i won this motor in an auction.
    It did not tested yet, because I bought a different pinion and it doesn't fit.
    Now, The pics:

Last edited by DBG; 07-17-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: add a pic.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    The 2400 is a completely different motor. lol.

Good for you man, you will really like the setup. My gearing is 22/54 in 32 pitch, it gets up to a nice warm temp and goes like heck.

RC Qualifier
    The 2400 is a completely different motor. lol.

Good for you man, you will really like the setup. My gearing is 22/54 in 32 pitch, it gets up to a nice warm temp and goes like heck.
    Ok, maybe i am going to use 14/58 in 32p

Here is more pics:

Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    Your truck will go very slow on that gearing.

RC Qualifier
    Your truck will go very slow on that gearing.

That is the point.
    I want my truck slow, because my 10 year old brother is going to drive too.
    I really don't want my brother crash my slash.
    That engine looks big and powerful.
    My brother cant handle the velineon with the batteries at 50% at full throttle, I cant imagine with a mamba.
    Is easy handle the velineon at full throttle, but really I don't know how to handle the mamba at full throttle.
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL

RC Qualifier
    No no no. Just buy the castle link and you can set any forward power percentage. Then you can just hook it up and change the power to about 40% for him and 100% for you.

RC Qualifier
    No no no. Just buy the castle link and you can set any forward power percentage. Then you can just hook it up and change the power to about 40% for him and 100% for you.

That's a good idea . My next order is the castle link
    Thanks again
    Sl4sh MM2
    T-Maxx 3.3
    Summit 1/10
    Sl2sh VXL