RC poster

Beginner Question on Battery and Speed

Hello,
    I just bought a Slash Model 5803. I bought it for me to have fun with my grandson who is only 6 years old. I'm looking to tune the car to get the longest run time at a relatively slow speed. I haven't even run the first battery yet but I'm pretty sure the battery supplied will have a pretty short run time. If there is a way to slow the car down and extend the run time, that would be fine for awhile while my grandson learns how to drive. I'm willing to buy new/better equipment, but if I don't have to, that's cool too. For sure I'm buying a new charger because 8 hours to charge is just not going to cut it. Wondering if I should go LiPo or just get another NiMH battery. I have read that LiPo's can be recharged numerous times in the same day. Does that mean NiMH's can only be charged and drained once per day? Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

RC Racer
    A new charger would be perfect. You can charge a NiMH battery quite a few times a day. There is a training mode setting in
    the speed controller that will cut full power to 50%, thus extending run time, a lot on a 7 cell battery. Don't worry about Lio
    batteries for now, just buy another 7 cell. Example of run time, I bought 2 of the 5807 models. After I ran down the first
    charge with the included packs, and when I still use them now, I'll get about 35-40 minutes from them going all out. And the brushless system pulls a lot more juice. Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    I would recommend a charger that can do Nihm and Lipo... so at least you have options.
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

RC poster
    Thanks. I thought the 50/50;70/30 switch was 50% mode. Now I see it's a programming option "training mode". That should help a lot for his age. If I can get 30 min. out of the stock battery in that mode, two batteries like that should be enough to have fun.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    I would recommend a charger that can do Nihm and Lipo... so at least you have options.
    Agree. That make sense. Any recommendations or things to look for other than handling both types of batteries?

RC Racer
    Your Welcome. And No One is right, a charger that can charge both NiMH & LiPo batteries would be your best bet for options
    in the future. Be warned though, the first charge might not last too long. But after that you'll be going for a long time.

RC Racer
    Look at the Traxxas home page under products, chargers, part#2933. Its a good charger. A little expensive, but I'm
    kind of a same brand type of person. It works well and charges both types of batteries. Also, very easy to use.

RC Qualifier
    Get a charger capable of balance charge lipos and nihm charge. My onyx235 is ok. And a lipo 2 cell 5800 mah will be all u need, the nihm packs can be used all day just remember to let them cool before u start charging them. Lipos u can charge right after every use because they don't get hot. Read the instructions on your batteries and always charge at the specified amp rate , c rating .training mode with 2cells is going to be a long run time.
    Traxxas Slash 2wd and Thunder Tiger Tomahawk Vx