RC poster

Question Thiniing about a near future Summit Purchase, Questions???

Hi, thanks in advance for reading this and offering any insight.

Im not new to RC, been doing it off and on since 1986. But i will have to plead ignorance on "todays" electric RC. I just retired a Baja 5B. For my needs it was too much vehicle. Too fast, too heavy. Attracted too much attention. It always scared me what would happen if some univited kid was to run across my back yard and get hit by my 35 pound buggy going 45+mph...so buhbye Baja, hello...something else.

As Ive been reading up and watching Youtube vids, Ive narrowed it down to 2 strong contenders for my new RC. Either a 4x4 Slash Platinum or a Summit. Im leaning towards the Summit at this point. I do relise that in my decision making the Slash does require a radio and the Summit is RTR. Im not planing on racing, just bashing. But never say never. My idea was if I get the Slash, I would do some mods and convert it over to a sort of MT, that could be converted back to race as a SC truck if I decided to try that. But for my 4x4 bashing and crawling needs, its obvious that the Summit would fit that bill. Also not looking to go over 25-30 mph tops with the ability to do the obsticle driving that again the summit would be better at.

So now after my long winded prelog Ill get to my questions.

Has anyone done a upgrade to the steering servo's? Is it neccesary? If you have what servo's did you use? I ask as I have read or seen on YT vids that the steering is a bit weak. Yes? No? No one complained too much about it nor is it a deal breaker. I have a Hitec 7955TG servo that puts out 333 oz, so it alone should turn the Summit by itself...at least in theory.

And Im an not up to date at all on LIPO battery technology, which is worlds apart from the nicad and nimh Ive run in the past.

How are the stock batteries supplied with the Summit? Whats the average runtime with them?

I do plan on getting into LIPO's and know that Ill also have to pick up a new charger for them. What little I do understand about LIPO, is that it is possible to get too much battery and cause overheat issues and decrease motor life longevity.

So what would be a good range LIPO for my use? Brand not important at this point. But what type LIPO for a good balance of runtime and cool temps?

Sorry to be so long winded. Any input is appriciated.

Thanks
    wwit
    Last edited by whatwasithinkin; 06-19-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: my poor speeelingky

RC Champion
    In short, the stock steering servos are just fine in my opinion, I haven't broken anything yet. People upgrade to get STRONGER servos just to allow for even better crawling.
    Lipos are so much better than nicad and nimh, worlds apart and very safe these days, suffice what people are saying.
    The stock batteries are just fine for a while though (I still have'm and run them)
    No such thing as "too much" battery unless you are doing 3, 4, 5, 6, cell batteries - Lipos are "1s, 2s, 3s, 4s" meaning cells, 3s is a 3cell lipo, each cell is good for 3.7v so a 2s is 7.4v and a 3s is 11.1v etc... so in THAT regard you can get too much battery, but as far as a 3000mah or an 8000mah you cannot get "too much" for the car, only limitation is the physical SIZE of the battery, might be too big to fit in the battery box.

Good balance and run time, would be two 2s 6000mah lipos, affordable, and great run times.

Cheers, get the Summit with no questions asked! =)

It will go..... Anywhere. Anytime Any weather......Any questions... Lol
    Until you have owned one for a while I don't think most people fully grasp just how capable this truck is.It doesn't need a trail it makes the trail

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Hey thanks guys. Im 99.99% sure that Im going with the Summit at this point. Ive got a S-load of fleabay/paypal money coming due from sales the first week in July. Theres a guy up here that sells these every day for $60.00 cheaper than Tower and Amain.

the faq at the top of the page is well worth a read it goes over most of the truck.gets you up to speed so to speak
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried