brushless? yes or no?

ok ive been out of the hobby for ten years, but randomly i bought a summit a week ago, then two days ago a slash, so my Q. is should i up grade it to brushless? is it worth the money and is it that big of a diffrence? and if i go brushless should i cont. using nihm batt. or go lipo and why? and one more Q. i deff wana upgrade the slash should i just leave the summit alone? the 775 seems strong?

RC Champion
    I can't speak for the summit, but I can say that upgrading the slash to brushless is a great option. Brushless systems are less maintenance, faster, and more fun. You can run either nihm or lipo batteries with a brushless system. I like running a 2s lipo for the longer run times. If you are new to the hobby again, you may want to learn how to handle the slash with the brushed system before making the brushless upgrade, but the velineon system was worth the money for me.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted is my middle name View Post
    ok ive been out of the hobby for ten years, but randomly i bought a summit a week ago, then two days ago a slash, so my Q. is should i up grade it to brushless? is it worth the money and is it that big of a diffrence? and if i go brushless should i cont. using nihm batt. or go lipo and why? and one more Q. i deff wana upgrade the slash should i just leave the summit alone? the 775 seems strong?
    I love my brushless slash but it can be a handful to drive, i suggest to get good with the truck before giving it ridiculous power. Brushless is less maintenance but can cause more wear on the drive train until you break and upgrade till you find what works best for you.

As for the summit, depending on the brushless system it can be as fast as an e revo and still crawl in low gear with minimal to no cogging. The leopard 4 pole and ******* 6 pole motors seem to work very well at low rpm. I have never used a MMM.

If you do go brushless i suggest starting with a 2s because it will somewhat limit top speed. There is generally no difference in run time between a 2s and a 3s of the same capacity driven the same way. I get 45-60 mins out of my 5000mAh 2s when bashing and used to get about the same when bashing with my 5000mAh 3s.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    I would leave the Summit alone, unless you love spending a whole day rebuilding your diff's. Go do some trail running though, you may find the power more than adequate, especially if you're running 2 x 2s Lipos in the beast also, part of the reason I think they went brushed is good sensored brushless systems are pretty pricey, and you want sensored for low speeds. As deer said, there may be some systems that don't stutter and cog, but I personally would go all or nothing if I was going to spend hundreds going brushless.

The slash...brushless is good. Not necessary yet, but good. Geared right, with the right tires, and a lipo you'll be able to do decent at the track brushed but will not have that super punch that a brushless does. When playing with others at the local track I really notice the difference on straight aways and coming out of the corner, the brushless just has more punch.
    P2de VXL - Summit

RC Champion
    Many people in the summit forum say the Summit doesn't need brushless, but as I don't own one (but I sure do want one!), I'll let others advise on that.

For a Slash I see no reason to stay brushed if brushless is in your budget. If you want/need waterproof, go with traxxas Velineon system. You can always start in training mode. If water-resistant is good enough the castle Sidewinder SCT or Mamba Max Pro systems are more versatile in terms of programmable and are great options.

In terms of batteries, LiPo is definitely the way to go. If you bought the new Summit with TQi transmitter it's LiPo capable. If its the older model it just needs a low voltage cutoff added for a few bucks to run LiPo safely. LiPo is way superior to NiMh in every way, IMHO.

SPC brand LiPos are a great value for price and excellent quality. For running a truck like the Summit that takes multiple batteries you can get chargers that can balance charge multiple LiPos at once.

What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

I'll chip in,as a summit owner and part time brushless rx8 runner. My advice is don't go brushless or at least not right away. It's not setup for that kind of power .upgrading the driveline is not exactly cheap.the truck does what it's meant to,go anywhere any time any weather plus look good doing it

Sent using magic and trickery
    Ok it was Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    I've got a brushless Slash that I run on NiMH. Yeah I want to jump to Lipo at some point, but it's not vital. This thing is plenty fast enough without the lipo right now. Im running 6cell 3000mah and a 7cell 3000mah and get about 20 minutes run time.

I'd say either go brushless, or go lipo, but not both right off. I went from a brushed Stampede (with a hot modified race motor) to this brushless Slash and it's a handfull. Im a good driver and the Pede was a breeze to control drifts and whatnot. This Slash gets away from once in a while if Im not paying 100% attention to what Im doing.

Get Lipo for extended run times and small increase in speed... get brushless for big increase in speed and slightly better run times.

RC Champion
    Good reply, devestator...

I definitely like the increased run times of LiPo. I use SPC 5000mAh 2S 25C batteries and you can get 45 minutes to an hour of run time on one battery. (or two for the Summit).

Staying brushed you can only run 2S, which would work well since you'd have the same batteries for slash and summit. Brushless most systems can run 2S or 3S. I haven't gone 3S yet since I drive as fast as I want to for bashing just on 2S. If I was a street speed runner I'd probably have a couple 3S batts by now.

The brushed motor on the Slash can last if it's broken in and well maintained. I went brushless on my rustler after I burned up the second Titan motor (I didn't know then what I know now). My slash I bought used with a castle brushless motor already in it. My stampede I upgraded to brushless from a hot (literally) aftermarket brushed motor because I had already fallen in love with brushless power and ease of use on my other two trucks.

Upgrading was definitely a process and took time and money to do. If I ever buy a Summit I plan to leave it brushed and run on LiPos.

Upgrading to LiPos didn't happen overnight either but I definitely will never regret it. I also don't regret buying a more expensive charger that I can charge 2-4 batteries at once with.