RC Qualifier

Drive Shaft - Looks short - doesnt cover both drive hubs?

Guys,

Ive been hearing some clicking in my Slash VXL 4x4 - so last night I inspected it and noticed that all the bearings in the rear seem to be shot. Ok no problem. I also notice that my shaft (blue aluminum shaft) moves around alot within the entire lengh of the chassis - it just doesnt seem to be tight in there - it bounces around and is scratching the blue off the shaft. Looking down at the drive shaft I noticed that it seems a bit short - meaning it doesnt meet the entire length from drive hub - I can see some of the teeth of the drive hub cause the drive shaft doesnt cover the length of the front drive hubs - but it covers the entire lengh of the rear drive hub...

Is that normal?
    Last edited by MAYOR VXL; 06-18-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    Normal. It allows for flexing.

Bearings: if shot I recommend Boca Bearings economy bearings for 99 or less each in 10-packs. Feel free to spend more.
    Driveshaft: it is not supposed to be tight. If it were, certain chassis flexes would cause damage.
    If you try to remove the fore-aft play in the driveshaft by moving the rear drive hub forward you will wind up with a wobbly shaft.
    Bouncing around should not cause the surface to wear - debris trapped in the shaft tunnel will.

Note to self: Slow down the Texas Ninja posters. ^^^
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    I add a couple o-rings over the drive ends it takes up the slop on the driveshaft and still allows for any chassis flex
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    I just bought avid ceramic wheel bearings nice stuff.