RC poster

Questions Motor Info Needed

Hello,

Im new to the sport I have had my slash for a little over a month. I love it, it's a ton of fun to just bash, and practive days at the track are insane. After getting mine I got my dad into the addiction, He bought his slash 4x4 from Craigslist. It is essentialy stock, except it came hobby wing esc and tacon 4300kv. Mostly he runs on 2s, yesterday he decided he would take it out on the track with my 3s. After about 15 minutes he came in and fried his motor. he wasn't able to touch it for a while. Now to my question looking to get him a new motor he is on a super tight budget. I know a four pole motor is better that a two pole and that is about the extent of my motor knowledge. KV means high rpms, so does that mean if you want to run to your should run 3200-5700kv? and if you like 3s then you should be around 2200-2400kv? what is the difference between sensorred and sensorless? when a motor says it is a 6 turn, is that the amount of times the magnet turns? and by that logic at 12.5 turn motor would be better.

I have been looking at another tacon motor with a different kv, or a leopard?

Thanks in advanced for all the info, you guys are always really helpfull.

Love that Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You dont want to go over 4000kv, because they will run hot, if you are on a budget castle 3800 sct will be good, but limited to 2s. If you want to run 3s, 2400 sct combo will be the best upgrade probably a little pricy but totally worth it. Ive read good reviews about lepoard 2700kv, and sc8 2700kv combo. Upgrading the motor alone, wont solve much you will need to upgrade both parts.

RC poster
    Ok thats good to know about the kv. With the lepoard 2700kv I would jsut need to check the amp draw and make sure the hobbywing esc can handle it right? Also with that motor would he be able to run 2s or just stricly 3s?

RC Qualifier
    The Leopard is rated 3S-5S. You can run on 2S, but you won't be getting the most out of it. I don't have any 2S batteries to try with it. You will need an ESC that is rated pretty high since the 2700 is not a small motor and it pretty powerful. Stay away from the Tacons. They aren't bad, but run hot. The extra money spent on a Castle/Leopard/HobbyWing/Tenshock is worth it. Sensored motor will give you more low speed control and possible smoother throttle control. Definitely not a requirement unless you are doing some serious racing.

RC poster
    Ok that makes sense, but if her is looking to run mostly 2s then something with that low of a kv is not right. So would 3200-3800kv be right in his ball park? What does the turn count mean. I saw some for 12.5turn, and some were 6.5 turn? While I was at the track this weekend there was another guy there with the losi 4x4 he had the castle 3800kv with sidwinder esc running on 2s. his car was significantly faster then my stock 3500 on even 3s. Is this because he has more gear options? and i'm running stock gearing. I know the losi is a better racer then stock slash. but straight away speed he was pulling me pretty hard.

RC Qualifier
    The castle is a 4 pole motor, yours is a 2 pole and yes, he can gear up a little more because of it and has a good amount more torque than your motor, so it could can better pull the weight around the track.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info, and help

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know about that turn to kv chart. Seems off the stock vxl is 3500kv and is a 10.5 turn motor. But the chart says 13.5? Also my 6.5 turn tekin is rated at 3900kv and that's according to tekin. So I am a little confused with this chart.

RC Champion
    Turns is irrelevant unless you are racing at a track that has racing classes

The Motors Amp, Voltage and KV ratings are all that matters

Decide what voltage you plan to run (number of cells)
    Decide how fast you want to go
    Decide if you want sensorless or sensored

Selecting a motor that will do what you desire without getting hot is then a pretty easy job

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey; 06-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    You dont want to go over 4000kv, because they will run hot, if you are on a budget castle 3800 sct will be good, but limited to 2s. If you want to run 3s, 2400 sct combo will be the best upgrade probably a little pricy but totally worth it. Ive read good reviews about lepoard 2700kv, and sc8 2700kv combo. Upgrading the motor alone, wont solve much you will need to upgrade both parts.
    try the vxl 3500 or the castle sidewinder sc
    All I need now is to set a new lap record.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by f687s View Post
    try the vxl 3500 or the castle sidewinder sc
    those will run hot on 3s.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    Turns is irrelevant unless you are racing at a track that has racing classes

The Motors Amp, Voltage and KV ratings are all that matters

Decide what voltage you plan to run (number of cells)
    Decide how fast you want to go
    Decide if you want sensorless or sensored

Selecting a motor that will do what you desire without getting hot is then a pretty easy job

Cheers
    2s most of the time, with the occasional 3s thrown in for speed runs.
    Faster that stock motor and esc. I would like to have the option to gear the motor up if needed.
    sensored or senslorless doesn't matter to me. Now want KV would you recomened? from what I think I know you would want to stay under 4000 but aver 3000 I was thinking somewhere around 3800 or 3200. Now if you want to run exclusively 3s I would want to be below 3000kv somehting arouns 2700, and down to 2200. Does this sound correct.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    for 2s 3500-3800kv
    for 3s 2200-2700kv

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    for 2s 3500-3800kv
    for 3s 2200-2700kv

sums it up very well
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC poster
    thank you for the help and the info.

RC Champion
    After a lot of research I found the TenShocks or Hobbywing Toro motors (both same motors) gave best bang for buck - they are VERY cheap, VERY powerful, and have a good range of Kv - I, and many others use the 3500kv and it is faster than stock on 2&3s and runs MUCH cooler - you'll need an uprated esc (such as the budget hobbywing WP-SC8) they draw a big current so it's recommended you use 40C higher mAh lipos - I've not heard any bad reviews of the esc's or motors to date - HTH

Edit: see you already have the esc - 39 ($55ish) would do the job - you can get lower Kv than 3500 but may not need to - they run quiet cool
    Last edited by BrabusBen; 06-19-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted