Thread: cv shafts

RC Qualifier

cv shafts

Snapped a cv shaft last night from diff to wheel. and have been looking for a set of steel cv shafts. do the ones for the merv work for the summit vxl? or what are some options? saw the telescopic ones from the toyz. haev people had luck with those? thanks

Front or rear??
    Stock or not?

The stock mini Revo shafts are known to hold up quite a while longer in the mini Summit.
    Other than that, I would stick to Traxxas shafts for the MERV and then switch the rear arms over to MERV arms... this should take care of your axle issues.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    rear cv shaft from dif to wheel. and yea still was stock. yea wasn't sure if the traxxas steel cvd's would work for the summit with that running the long travel rockers if the traxxas ones would be long enough. what you talking bout switching rear arms out for the merv arms? i thought the summit and merv had same a arms. or are you talking bout the rockers? just switching those over to the merv's? cause would like to go with steel cvd shafts.

The MERV CVD's are not quite long enough... that is why I suggested converting to MERV arms.

The front arms are the same... the rear arms are different.
    Summit has 10mm more wheelbase... the measurement from front wheel to rear wheel.
    This is all accomplished with the rear arms. This is also why the rear axles break. So.... it is possible that doing something as simple as installing stock MERV arms and stock MERV shafts for the rear will solve your axle issues.

This is a LOT cheaper than CVD's!!

RC Qualifier
    yea i was mislead than cause i was told the arms are the same all around from the merv and summit vxl. hmmm. lol yea money isn't a real issue it's my buddies truck and he just isn't mechanically incline so i get stuck working on it. and my merv is on it's way actually. .....so with running the merv arms on back you can still run the long travel rockers and not run into any issues? just would be losing alittle bit of length in wheel base?

Yes... you can still run the LT rockers and you would loose 10mm in wheel base.

Some have still had issues, most have not.
    My suggestion is to not run with the suspension at full droop...

RC Qualifier
    Don't get metal. The weak point will move up to your diff, which are a real pain to replace.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx