RC Racer

Finally got her out !!!! How much launch control you guys use ?

went out sunday around 2pm for some passes. the concrete strip i was using temp was around 125 dergrees. i got the tires warmed up to 112-115. i managed the to get launch control to 55%. has anyone launched at a higher % ? and what were your conditions?

RC Enthusiast
    What C-ratting battery were you using....???? We used 60% punch control with a 35C rated battery and added 3 ounces of lead to the nose of the chassis near the front fuel tank to get it to launch hard on our r/c drag strip... track was preped with VHT... with a higher C-rated lipo we could not get it go go more than 5 feet with out loosing it.... the.. we also made the front suspension locked down (no movement) to keep it from going out of control after a run down the 132 ft track.... made mostly 3.0 sec runs..but got a 2.90 pass out of it as well.... average mph was 40 to 43 mph....

RC Racer
    im using 25c 3s 4000. i wanted to lock the front end down, but the surface was so uneven. it appeared that was causing me to lose traction. i need to find a better place to run. i will look into adding some weight up front. did you get your weights from a tire shop?

RC Racer
    did you guys do anything to the rear ride height ?

RC Enthusiast
    Not yet on the rear... we talked about trying to get rid of the shocks and go with a solid turnbuckle type set up.... no movement there either....

RC Qualifier
    I was leaving at 60% with a 3s after playing around with it for a while. I haven't messed with it recently while I wait on the DTS. I changed all kinds of stuff to get it to do that though. Wasn't very stable out of the box. Modded tires, gearing, rear end, etc. Have no idea what kind of times.

RC Racer
    hey, you care to share some of the changes you've made ?
    Last edited by CSTBOY; 06-19-2012 at 11:13 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I softened the tires with tire sauce. Burned out while applying pressure. This gradually widened the contact patch. Geared taller as well for the 3s. The biggest thing I did was to fill the diff with epoxy. Why would a drag car EVER want anything but a spool? This seemed to help the cars tendency to turn suddenly under acceleration AND braking. Leaving at 60 with 3s, the car would move get out of town pretty quick but I'm sure there is still room for improvement. I'll mess with it some more when the timing system comes out.

RC Racer
    I took a idea from mr. Weeks and put a few oz's of weight up front. Let's see what happens.
    Last edited by CSTBOY; 06-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    LOL.. Mr Weeks... is my dad on here...lol... seriously.. the lead will help.. and i like the idea of lockng up the rear diff with epoxy.... we might try that before getting rid of the rear shocks....

RC Racer
    yea the epoxy idea does sound pretty good. i wonder what kind he used. do you have any vids of your runs with the weight?

RC Enthusiast
    i was running the tree of our club.. so i did not get any..but i think some one did will check with they guys and see.... we de tuned the speedo to where the full power came in about half track.. nd he popped another wheelie...lol. and that was fun to see....lol...

Before locking the rear, try filling it with silly putty.... If you don't like it at least you can remove it... Just an idea
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Enthusiast
    Only thing is.... in any fomr of drag racing you have no need ofr a dif.. i know guys that take dif rear ends and spider gear set ups becasue they are cheaper to get for their big drag cars and weld up everything they can to get rid of the diff and make it a locker...

the guy that has one of the FC's here already locked his up and it launches better and doesnt go out of control when letting off of it on un-preped surfaces. says he cant wait to get it on our preped r/c drag strip..

Quote Originally Posted by billy Weeks View Post
    Only thing is.... in any fomr of drag racing you have no need ofr a dif.. i know guys that take dif rear ends and spider gear set ups becasue they are cheaper to get for their big drag cars and weld up everything they can to get rid of the diff and make it a locker...

the guy that has one of the FC's here already locked his up and it launches better and doesnt go out of control when letting off of it on un-preped surfaces. says he cant wait to get it on our preped r/c drag strip..
    I do agree, my first 1:1 car had a Detroit Locker rear diff. dealt with locked Ford 9's and ended up using "Strange" diffs. All full posi,,, but also, there's a huge difference in setup from a fueled vehicle compared to electrics too.

Silly putty costs what? IF you weren't happy with it, then you can just take it out, JB-weld,,,, once done ,,, it's done....
    Robin Williams
    He will be greatly missed...

RC Racer
    Question, since the diff is like the erevo. Would the erevo Differential Spool work in the funny car? I hope that wasn't a stupid question!!!! Lol

RC Enthusiast
    Nitro... agreed... Nitro and Electrics are totaly different.. the electric cars leave SOOO much harder.. And i understand why Traxxas did the "diff" in the FC..but guys do what they want to do with a r/c car.... drag car most of all GO FAST...lol... DIFF's make that realy hard..preped or none preped...

i dont mean to sound combative on this subject....lol.. but the issues weve had here have stopped a couple people from buying the FC... i've told them dont give up ..just let us find some easy cheap solutions to make it a drag car for them to compete with(even in bracket).... right now its the cheapest entry level kit for compeditive drag racing... and you dont need a diff to go striat...lol

CSTBOY... if it does work that would be a plus....

Looking at the exploded view and that alone, i really don't think the Revo Spool would be useable in this situation.
    If it did that sure would be an easy button fix.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    I tried using chewing gum before I used epoxy......I swear it seemed like it made no difference. The gears just ground it up like it was nothing. Never tried silly putty.

RC Racer
    3 oz of weight up front makes a difference. Thanks for the idea.

RC Competitor
    Put a fishing egg sinker in the nose. Helped some. Stiffened front springs all the way, rears as well. The stiff rears actually hurt launch, but it drives more stable. Really think the diff is the real problem. Anytime I go above 60% it has a tendency to unpredictably pull to one side or the other.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

RC Racer
    i see you in longview. im in pittsburg, maybe we can do some racing one day

RC Competitor
    Pittsburg huh? Small world! You got any other rc toys? The drag car is my dads. His first RC!!! Bought it on an impulse when I was getting parts for my off road rigs. He is a drag junkie and force fan, so it was more than he could pass up! I have been trying to help him get it lined out and running.
    My stuff is a mix. Revo 3.3, Nitro Rusty, 2wd BCK Slash, and a Digger truck for my boy. Have a local off road track down in Tatum me and the boy have been running at if you are into that.

RC poster
    FH
    Make 4- 4ft burnouts while gradually increasing torque control until there is no wheelspin. Backup, stage, and let it happen. Nice bracket racer for the street. Any one from Bay area? Too hot in TX for me!

RC Enthusiast
    I'm launching at 50% TM but that is surfaced related and I haven't had the time to mess with the tires... Soften them up... Once this takes off and there are some organized races I can see different tires for different surfaces

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How quick are these in a 300 ft track? I have ran my modified merv in 5.5 seconds taking it easy the first 100 ft