RC Enthusiast

Question What caused Battery problem?

I was out bashing with my lcg slash and all seemed well. I was running on flat grassy ground with 40 yard straightaways and serpentining between trees. battery is a Duratrax 8 cell 5000 mah nimh and I have velineon system in truck. Battery has less than 5 runs on it.

When i was finished i noticed a strange smell and discovered the battery had melted the shrink wrap and one cell appeared burned( partly brownish color). No damage to truck and it runs fine with a new battery.

I charged damaged battery and it seemed to take a charge and was at 10+ volts. when I try this battery the truck has no power and the wheels barely spin when lifted off ground. Voltage had dropped to 8+ volts overnight.

Gearing was 23/86 I have changed to 19/86 since this incident

Any suggestions on gearing?

What caused the battery to fail?

Anybody know what kind of warranty Duratrax might have?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The pack had a bad cell. Dont know dtx's warranty, but you should contact the seller. It was def a defective cell in the pack, and not your fault. Whoever sold it to you should be able to help you with warranty info, or go to dtx's site. This is not the place as traxxas wont allow you to get tech help for other companies products on this forum...

Good luck on getting your problem worked out 8)
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    Well sometimes the battery will just over heat from to much run time or from factory errors but usually a battery will not over heat that fast so if you can return the battery for a new one and btw the 23/86 gearing is made for hard smooth flat surfaces not for flat grassy ground so that is what probably ruined your battery cause it was working too hard.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    ^^^ A new battery should not fail under that load... Man nimh's are not what they used to be...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???