RC Racer

Gearing for sand

I know this had been asked many times before but what is the best gearing for sand? And where can I get boots to put over the axels

Sent from da iPhone
    2WD Slash Vxl W/ Venom 2cell LIPO 7.4v 5000Mah 20c

RC Qualifier
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Racer
    I skimmed through that and I feel that there wasn't really an answer

Sent from da iPhone

RC Qualifier
    Oh. I'm running 32 pitch gears because I was stripping 48p in the coarse sand I run in. My 32p gears are 54/14, for a final ratio of 10.49. That keeps me pretty cool. I'm running 3s lipos and some big paddles, too.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Racer
    Im not really clear on what the pitch is can you explain that to please ... Thanks

Sent from da iPhone

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snicklefritz View Post
    Oh. I'm running 32 pitch gears because I was stripping 48p in the coarse sand I run in. My 32p gears are 54/14, for a final ratio of 10.49. That keeps me pretty cool. I'm running 3s lipos and some big paddles, too.

Do you run with gear cover on or off

Sent from da iPhone

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure the exact definition of pitch, but 48 pitch gears have smaller teeth. Also, with the traxxas gears anyways, the 32p spur gear is flat, and the 48p is convex. So the 32p gears would hit the gear cover unless you do some modifications to it. I don't use the cover. My theory is that when running in sand, the gear cover just traps sand inside, causing the spur gear to strip quickly. I've tried the RPM "sealed" cover with 48p gears and I still had sand enter and lead to stripping. I've had very good luck with 32p gears and no cover.

Note: If using 32p spur gear you have to use 32p (or 0.8) pinion gear. You can't mix and match because two different pitches won't mesh properly.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    Anyway, back to the original question. Whatever pitch gears you use you want to know what the final ratio is. Just like fullsize vehicles, a lower number is for higher speeds, a higher number for low end power. Stock gear ration on the Slash VXL is 10.17 so you'll want to go up from there for sand. I'm only at 10.50 now but I'll probably want to change it now that the summer temps are warming up. You have to keep a close eye on your motor and esc temps. Whatever the lowest ratio that allows you to run a full battery without overheating is the correct one.
    I Wanna Go Fast!