RC Qualifier

How does traxxas waterproof thier escs?

Does anybody know what chemical/substance they use exactly and whether or not they coat the whole chip or just around the heatsink
    Rustler Killing Bandit

RC Racer
    i have opened it up before, and they poor a resin in the casing, which fills the entire casing around the esc. i dont know exactly what it is, but its a clear, hard rubber. are you thinking about waterproofing an esc by yourself?

RC Qualifier
    well im experimenting with an ancient rx right now. dipped it in lexan glue hoping maybe thatll working really well. gonna test it underwater and if it works gonna double coat my esc which is the mamba max not a traxxas which is why its not water proof
    Rustler Killing Bandit

Not exactly sure what they use, but it reminds me a lot of hot glue. The whole board and everything is covered with it.

RC Qualifier
    It could be a high-temperature potting epoxy. A thin layer of high-temperature potting epoxy should theoretically waterproof any ESC, and of course make it impossible to work on, thus void the warranty. Been thinking about trying it on my Castle ESC anyway.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC Qualifier
    idc warranty is almost up anyways and castles mamba max rarely has issues especiialy running below 3s like ive been. tried the lexan glue and apparently my rx now doesnt work. to be honest idk if it ever worked in the first place though
    Rustler Killing Bandit

RC Racer
    I am sure it is potting epoxy as OT hinted above. It's a unique epoxy that is non-porous, non-exotherming, and not electrically conductive, specifically made for encasing electronics. It is considerably more expensive than "normal" epoxy. I waterproofed my Castle Sidewinder months ago with 3M clear and have no regrets. Using a disposable syringe, fill under the circuit board first then up to the top of the heatsink.

I don't know about other brands, but the 3M product is thermally conductive and my heatsink doesn't get hot at all even when running 9.9 volts.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    I am sure it is potting epoxy as OT hinted above. It's a unique epoxy that is non-porous, non-exotherming, and not electrically conductive, specifically made for encasing electronics. It is considerably more expensive than "normal" epoxy. I waterproofed my Castle Sidewinder months ago with 3M clear and have no regrets. Using a disposable syringe, fill under the circuit board first then up to the top of the heatsink.

I don't know about other brands, but the 3M product is thermally conductive and my heatsink doesn't get hot at all even when running 9.9 volts.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I'm especially interested now since I had a water scare with my Sidewinder that meant it sat in rice for 4-5 days. Did you take any b4 and after pics?

Also, could you send a link to the 3M stuff you used? I get emails at work from MasterBond but their stuff is industrial and $$.

RC Racer
    OT,

Epoxy waterproof at your own risk because you void your warranty - but trust me it's worth it

You want 3M DP270 potting epoxy. Cheapest option I found was Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld...+potting+epoxy

DO NOT get the dispenser. It is really expensive and unnecessary. I wore a glove and pushed the plungers with my fingers, dispensing the two parts into a glass jar and mixed the epoxy then poured the mix into a disposable plastic syringe (5 for $5 at WoodCraft). I have micro air bubbles but nothing large. I can post pics later.

Water worries will be a thing of the past if you do it right. Puddles... ha. Give me the garden hose .

RC Qualifier
    SR,

I don't think there's a lot of warranty left on my Sidewinder. MMP is really new. Might do just Sidewinder or might do both.

Of course I'll just do my old Mamba Max first. No way is it still under warranty. If I were sure I could do it careful would that be enough to do all three ESCs?

Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 06-28-2012 at 10:08 PM.

RC Racer
    The 1.7 ounce size should certainly be enough for two ESC's. The Sidewinder case is pretty shallow and didn't use much - I don't know about others.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
    The 1.7 ounce size should certainly be enough for two ESC's. The Sidewinder case is pretty shallow and didn't use much - I don't know about others.
    The older mamba max is similar in size to the Sidewinder. The MMP is a little larger but not much.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the pics, SR. I'm definitely gonna do that to mine, starting with the out of warranty MM then Sidewinder and eventually MMP. Will see if my buddy wants to do his Sidewinders as well.

How hot are the summer temps where you drive? Any issues?

RC Qualifier
    well i decided to ditch the idea. i rarely run my buggy in water. BUT im planning on getting a summit, installing the mamba monster + 2200kv and waterproofing that. so ill use all youre advice in that project
    Rustler Killing Bandit

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    How hot are the summer temps where you drive? Any issues?
    80's & 90's and no problems yet. I have an IR temperature gun but haven't taken a reading yet. Every time I stop to check the heatsink is only warm. One thing I should note is that I use no punch control on my Sidewinder. I read somewhere a while ago using punch control can cause the ESC to heat up more - I need to call Castle and confirm if this is true or not.

One last thing for anyone epoxy waterproofing is to take your time. The 3M epoxy has a very long working time so their is no need to rush. Get all the crevices and make sure you fill completely around any wires. Also, I recommend filling under the circuit board first otherwise you'll have big air bubbles work their way up.

RC Enthusiast
    anyone use 3m skotch coat to water "proof" their ESC? pros/cons ??