RC Qualifier

Alternative to the stock slicks.

Does anybody know of a good alternative to the stock slicks? I keep having tire explosions at speeds of 140 or so and I have heard there are better tires out there. Anthony V at one time mentioned some but wouldn't elaborate. I just need something with a little better belting and construction. I've been looking at these Sweeps but I don't know if that will help or not.

http://www.sweepracingusa.com/18-GT-...ons_p_422.html

Last edited by cooleocool; 03-31-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: merge
    The Annihilator....fastest XO-1 on planet Earth.

RC Champion
    Got any vids of 140 mph runs?
    Jeremy

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    the sweep are not the same size as the xo-1 so that will put your car even lower.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    What were your results with BSR foams? I have a set but I have not used them yet.

I think you need to upgrade to whatever that Tim Smith guy uses.
    XO-1+Wind=(XO-1+Curb)x2=Me-XO-1=Me+Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    Do you still have free reign of that interstate ?? That sucks with the tires !! Still snow on the ground here.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bringit View Post
    What were your results with BSR foams? I have a set but I have not used them yet.

I think you need to upgrade to whatever that Tim Smith guy uses.
    I ran the foams for quite some time and eventually gave up on them. I could either have the car drive pretty decent but then flip over at 140 or so.......or drive really terrible and be stable at high speed. No in between. They just don't have the kind of grip I need. My car currently weighs 20.5 pounds and believe it or not the stock tires actually put the power down pretty well with some weight on them so I went back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by XO-1 NUT View Post
    Do you still have free reign of that interstate ?? That sucks with the tires !! Still snow on the ground here.
    I still use it but not for long. I figure I only have a short amount of time before they open it and then I'm screwed. Sucks because I am on the verge of going REALLY fast. Car drives unbelievably well now and I have an insane amount of power left to give this thing if I just had some tires that would hold together. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-31-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Is there possibly a way to harden the rubber on the stock tires so they don't grow ??

RC Qualifier
    I actually modify the tires before I run them. They way approximately 162 grams stock. I do a series of steady burnouts to reduce the weight to 140 or so. This reduces the mass so there is significantly less growth. The belting material is just cheap cotton and it just can't handle much.

RC Racer
    Maybe try firm foam and thin them down for less rotational mass so that they wont expand?

RC Qualifier
    Looks like I can't find anything to replace these things with so I'm just going to work on modifying some new stockers. I wish Traxxas would get on the ball here and come out with a better tire. Sucks that the one thing that really is holding this car back is their own tire.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStenchOfSpeed View Post
    Looks like I can't find anything to replace these things with so I'm just going to work on modifying some new stockers. I wish Traxxas would get on the ball here and come out with a better tire. Sucks that the one thing that really is holding this car back is their own tire.
    No offense, but they did not design those tires for the speeds that you are taking it. The only other tires that I would recommend that I have seen guys use on their Ofna GTP2e's are Grp's, Pmt's and Alhpa's. They are all belted but significantly shorter then the XO-1 wheels.

Oh and I doubt the Sweep racing tires could handle it even though they are belted.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-01-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: merge
    Traxxas gone bye bye!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierravmax View Post
    No offense, but they did not design those tires for the speeds that you are taking it. The only other tires that I would recommend that I have seen guys use on their Ofna GTP2e's are Grp's, Pmt's and Alhpa's. They are all belted but significantly shorter then the XO-1 wheels.
    Oh, I'm fully aware of that but let's face it......the stock tires leave a little to be desired in more ways than one. They aren't the grippiest things on a stock XO-1. The material they make the belting out of is weak as water. I just think it would be great if they would come out with an improved tire. All they would have to change is the belting material and the compound.

RC Racer
    Actually Stench the stock compound is pretty good. I'll pm you on how to get it to be super sticky

RC Champion
    You need XO-1.5 tires.

RC Enthusiast
    I actually modify the tires before I run them. They way approximately 162 grams stock. I do a series of steady burnouts to reduce the weight to 140 or so. This reduces the mass so there is significantly less growth. The belting material is just cheap cotton and it just can't handle much.
    Good idea. Destroy the integrity of the tires before even running them. Reducing the mass leads to less tire growth? LOL. Warming up a tire and thinning it out are 2 entirely different things ive seen the tire handle speeds way above 150mph with no problems on AnthonyV car.

Your issue is not the tire speed and you can see that from the actual wear on your tire. I have in person seen AnthonyV's set-up do 156mph with the stock XO1 tires without ever blowing up. This was with gps and radar gun. No telemetry. He also has zero traction issues with these tires and the other ones he runs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
    Good idea. Destroy the integrity of the tires before even running them. Reducing the mass leads to less tire growth?
    Glue something heavy firmly to a spot on your tire. Pull trigger. Observe. Yep. Thought so.

RC Qualifier
    By thinning the tire out you are making it weaker for example: take a rubber band that's 1/16in thick and try to stretch it then take a rubber band 1/4in thick and try to stretch it. The thicker rubber band will be more difficult to stretch just as your tires will do. The thicker the rubber the harder it will be for them to balloon so by doing burnout a you are making them considerably weaker just my 2c hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Qualifier
    I suggest you guys read up on centrifugal force. Or........mount a new tire on one side of your car, and an old wore out one on the other. Pull trigger. Observe. Which one grows the most? Don't believe me? Try it.

RC Qualifier
    I understand centrifugal force just fine
    Maybe you should read my post again

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

Ok guys, stop fighting, your both right. The extra weight makes it expand more, but the thicker rubber makes it harder to expand. They equal each other out, duh. Get back on topic please.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC poster
    Hey guys. CentrifugalForce here and stench is right according to my man isaac newton.

On a side note, my wife was driving around last week on worn/bald tires and had a tire blow out at 60mph. This tire was rated for 100mph but i noticed the steel belts showing after the blow out. It is clear to me and the laws surrounding me that it is Michelin's fault for using an inferior metal on their tire belts. According to my vast research the worn tires have absolutely nothing to do withthe failure.

RC Qualifier
    Well, If I defend myself, I guess the Traxxas cops will be in here to ban me so I'll just sit back and watch. You guys do realize that tire lightening is common practice in some forms of motorsports, right?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CentrifugalForce View Post
    Hey guys. CentrifugalForce here and stench is right according to my man isaac newton.

On a side note, my wife was driving around last week on worn/bald tires and had a tire blow out at 60mph. This tire was rated for 100mph but i noticed the steel belts showing after the blow out. It is clear to me and the laws surrounding me that it is Michelin's fault for using an inferior metal on their tire belts. According to my vast research the worn tires have absolutely nothing to do withthe failure.
    Hi Anthony and fan club.

RC Racer
    just sitting here eating popcorn and counting down till this thread gets lock. this is like watching soap opera, but with r/c. LOVE IT!!!

but Stench is right though, shaving tire is common in autosports, and sometime will outperform unshaved tires too. but too much will also ead to tire failure

RC Qualifier
    I seem to be a magnet for this kind of thing. I don't understand how something that is an excepted norm in motorsports can be cause for such a ridiculous dispute on an rc forum. Wow.

RC poster
    Well, If I defend myself, I guess the Traxxas cops will be in here to ban me so I'll just sit back and watch. You guys do realize that tire lightening is common practice in some forms of motorsports, right?
    is blowing up tires over and over a common practice in motorsports too? no cuz the teams dont go out amd do a burnout after burnout to remove mass. They run lightweight forged wheels and use expensive equipment to prep each tire. You dont see drag racers running worn down tires. stevie wonder can see you have flat spots on your tire. Dont know who anthony is but the reason ppl r after u is cuz u dont know what ur talking about. U claim all these high speeds and we all have yet to see a single video from u minus the one where u wrecked cuz u dont know wut ur doing.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CentrifugalForce View Post
    is blowing up tires over and over a common practice in motorsports too? no cuz the teams dont go out amd do a burnout after burnout to remove mass. They run lightweight forged wheels and use expensive equipment to prep each tire. You dont see drag racers running worn down tires. stevie wonder can see you have flat spots on your tire. Dont know who anthony is but the reason ppl r after u is cuz u dont know what ur talking about. U claim all these high speeds and we all have yet to see a single video from u minus the one where u wrecked cuz u dont know wut ur doing.
    That's cool bud. I have made it no secret that I am new to rc. HOWEVER.....I happen to be a highly respected motorsports professional. I build and tune some of the fastest and most successful small tire drag cars in the world. LOTS of them. My customers are very skilled, and often very well sponsored drag racers who come to me to go faster. I am hired as an engine builder and also as a consultant and tuner, often for other shops. Anybody involved in upper level small tire drag racing knows exactly who I am and the machinery I am responsible for. I'm not generally one to blow my own horn but you leave me no choice. I may not be an rc expert but I do know cars. If you listen up a little bit, you might learn something.....or just continue calling me an idiot if it makes you feel better. I have been 140mph. No more, no less. When I go 141.....I'll let you know.

RC poster
    someone thinks very highly of theirself. all those accolades and u cant even figure out why a thinned out tire is blowing. i did some reading and see this anthony guy is doing 150+mph and he has stock slicks in his video. u being a world reknowned racer must make him a nobel prize physicist. dont worry bout 141 id worry about 160mph as what ur trying has been done months ago already.

RC Qualifier
    I don't think highly of myself. I'm just letting you know that it might not be such a good idea for you to be calling me an idiot. As far as the claims of others go, i guess we're all free to believe whatever we want to believe. I know where a nice stretch of road is.....And that is usually the best way to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'm sure everybody would love to see a couple of fast xo-1's get down. Right?

RC Champion
    ^
    I don't think that's a flat spot. It's where the belt over laps itself for about an inch. A burnout should true up the rubber some. Right?

I want to see a video of two crazy xo-1 drivers passing each other at high speed from opposite directions for a combine difference of at least 170mph.

Ronnie Milsap got tired of lurking and had to signed up. Welcome to the party!
    Last edited by BL-Bob; 04-05-2013 at 04:46 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BL-Bob View Post
    ^
    I don't think that's a flat spot. It's where the belt over laps itself for about an inch. A burnout should true up the rubber some. Right?

!
    Burnouts do true the rubber. Removes a dip where the belt seem is, and removes the crown from the tire. More contact patch. Also has the effect of simulating lower "tire pressure" by making the tire more pliable. Works great.

I’ve experimented quite a bit with the xo-1 tires on a high speed balancer.
    I find they are going to start to balloon at approx 75mph; it doesn’t matter if they are new or you have worn them down to a smaller diameter.
    They also always start to balloon/crown in the center 1st; it’s just the nature of the beast. Trying to true them to remove the crown will weaken the tire in the center. Burnouts to reduce the diameter/mass will weaken the entire contact patch area and if done at high speed the center is more likely to wear more then the rest of the contact patch. At high speeds there will always be a crown and thus more wear in the center and there’s not much or anything you can do about it.
    Even if they were steel belted the center would still balloon/crown more compared to the outer edge/sidewalls due to centrifugal forces.

I’m no tire expert but it looks to me that the tire in the pic in post # 1 failed at the center where the rubber was thinnest and then continued to tear toward the sidewalls.

Pushing the limits for speed I would think the more rubber the better, they are going to balloon anyway. Why not have the most rubber you can to help prevent a failure.

Here’s a couple Thermal images I captured shortly after a couple speed passes.

Lighter colors indicate higher temperature.

Right front tire

Right rear tire

Right rear again

You can clearly see the center patch is heating up considerably more than the outer patch areas.
    I can actually set my camber by just scanning with the IR camera; a small adjustment will move the heat considerably.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Qualifier
    That's pretty neat. What kind of camera are you using to do this?

Thermal imaging camera, FLIR B20 HSV.
    Company perk.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Racer
    Look for Squirrels post on youtube about taping tires. I tryed to copy it to put on here but I can't figure it out.
    Last edited by XO-1 NUT; 04-07-2013 at 12:07 PM.