RC Enthusiast

Question ok, i give up. need help with turnbuckles on 3906 emaxx

hey first i wanna say ive done tons of searching, and ive found threads that are really close to the answer i need, but nothing that gives me a definite answer.

i have one of the original emaxx's with the orange novak evx. i hit a big rock at full speed in 2nd gear runnin 2 5000mah 7 cell packs and it demolished my a arms. no problem right? so i went to the hobby shop and picked up a set of rpm arms (#80465) to replace my broken arms and the other side respectively. got them installed and my turnbuckles are too short.

i ordered some new ones off ebay (#5139 116mm) to use as the front tierods. i thought i had measured correctly and 116mm would be the proper length, but it turns out they are slightly too long. with everything installed, my front wheels point inwards.

now onto my question, what is the proper length turnbuckles i need to get for the rpm arms that i bought. OR what would the part number be?

this has got me stumped, cause the 115mm rods mount up to the newer style axle carriers. and i dont wanna upgrade everything right now, too much money lol.

anyway i thought i was being clever and i thought i would just pull my pillow mounts out a little, didnt work, i shortened the rods as much as possible and no go.

sorry for the long post, i felt it necessary to explain my situation

Here are the turnbuckles you need.
    Front 106mm TRX #5138,
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7399

Rear 116mm TRX #5139,
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=7401
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    thanks for the reply!
    arent the 106mm the ones that came stock? if so then those are too short, let me upload some pictures

this is the longer, 116mm installed

shot of both wheels installed

This is a shot of the stock turnbuckle that came with my truck, if thats not 5138 then what is that p#?

RC Champion
    Did you shorten them all the way?
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Enthusiast
    yeah, i shortened the rods and even extended my pillow mounts out a little more.

RC Enthusiast
    i went ahead and ordered a set of the 5138s, ill give those a shot lol

RC Racer
    I see its a 3906, its wide arms I think by looking at it, but are they the stock 3906 knuckles ? might have something to do with it, just throwing out ideas

RC Enthusiast
    yes, yes, and yes lol. 3906 OLD style with 14.4v orange EVX and 14v titans, rpm wide arms for newer 3.3 maxx, and stock knuckles. i appreciate the ideas but i dont wanna upgrade driveshafts and knuckles yet. ill do that when i snap some

RC Qualifier
    The turnbuckle that was on the truck is part#2338 and it's suppose to be 96mm without the rod ends. 5138 should be the ones that you need. When you do RPM arms in the rear the 5139 should be the ones that you need, and you already have.

If you were to install all new RPM's, front and back, then you could of used your stock rears for the front and bought the 5139 for the rear and I think the 5138 wouldn't be needed.

RC Enthusiast
    LD: yeah i originally switched the front and rears and stretched them out as far as they could go and it held up for the first few crashes, then broke the plastic rod end off lol. you can actually see it in the last picture i posted.

anyway i am holding off on the rears as of right now (i know i know only half of my emaxx is wide) untill i break an axle. then ill upgrade to the rpm true track and new style axles in the rear. (gives me time to save up a little extra cash, since i have to pay off my 1:1 car.

RC Enthusiast
    btw, i just measured the stock rod without the ends, and it measures 93mm long.

and thanks for the part number

Tomorrow I'll up load some pic's(camera cable got appropriated to go on vacation).

The only difference between the narrow E/T maxx(3906/4910 pro .15) & the widemaxx E/T maxx(4910 2.5) is the length of the arms & turnbuckles.
    They use the axles, carriers & steering bellcranks.

All you did if read your post's correctly is upgrade to the wider "widemaxx" arms using the original carriers & driveshaft's, then all you need are the turnbuckles I posted.

If/when you upgrade to the newest carriers & driveshafts you need the carriers, driveshafts, & toe links from the new maxxes.

Turnbuckles are measured as just the steel part, not assembled so the 106mm when you add ends turns into 116 eye to eye.
    My stock 4910"widemaxx" the front turnbuckles are 116mm eye to eye.

The ones in the pic w/the tires really toed in are for the rear & will not shorten enough to use on the front.

You need the Front 106mm TRX #5138 for the front to use the RPM 80465 arm w/ the old type of driveshaft & carrier, on mine they end up eye to eye @ 116mm for 1 of toe in.
    Last edited by Wildman4910; 06-18-2012 at 02:05 AM.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    awesome, ok that answers a bunch of questions i had. i really appreciate your help. i ordered the turnbuckles that you had posted earlier in the thread... the 5138's. actually found a ebay auction for 2 packs for $6 shipped so ill have a spare set also.

thanks for clarifying what i needed for upgrading axles, carriers, and just the rod ends. thats good info.

btw having only the front of my maxx widened, i already noticed a huge handling difference. it doesnt flip nearly as easily as it did before... except for that flip that broke my old rod end... haha

Quote Originally Posted by NoVa EMAXX View Post

This is a shot of the stock turnbuckle that came with my truck, if that's not 5138 then what is that p#?
    That is Traxxas p/n #2338 Turnbuckle, 94mm used on the Original narrow pre~widemaxx'es.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Enthusiast
    awesome thanks for the pic, and that does ultimately confirm i have one on the very first emaxx's made(except for the rare esc, i think it was called the vx?) my orange novak went out the same time i flipped it so that kinda sucks. it held up pretty well to 14cell nimh, considering it says 14.4v lol.

i have an evx2 on the way so my truck will be up and running again soon.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NoVa EMAXX View Post
    btw, i just measured the stock rod without the ends, and it measures 93mm long.

and thanks for the part number
    That's funny. I show 96mm for the stock steel and 94mm for the Traxxas titanium turnbuckles in my original owners manual for my 3906 Narrow Maxx.

RC Enthusiast
    hmm, thats strange lol idk man

RC Champion
    Maybe you should just convert to a newer more durable model.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Enthusiast
    the only newer model traxxas trucks i would be interested in is an erevo bl or slash 4x4. both of which i cant afford as of rite now, belive me if i could, i would. so for now its my good ol emaxx that ive had for years. and i have only broken a shock tower(which was my rc noob friend, not me lol) 1 a arm, and my orange evx(that ive been running 2 7 cell 5000mah racers edge packs) so far, so this truck is fairly duriable all things considered.

RC Enthusiast

Thumbs down

well, i must have jinxed my self (or i should stop driving these things at night) cause i just broke my chassis, front skid plate and my roll cage ripped the screws out of my front bumper mount. oh yeah and sent one of my batteries flying out of my cage!

EDIT: just found out it bent my steel roll cage too!!

here are some carnage shots.

you can still see the yellow paint from where i hit the curb at 30+ mph

anyone have a old style chassis they can sell me on the cheap?
    Last edited by NoVa EMAXX; 06-21-2012 at 01:44 AM.

RC Qualifier
    OUCH!!! Came out pretty good for a 30+ MPH crash into concrete.

You can find a new 3906 chassis for under $20.00.

RC Enthusiast
    yeah, i thought it wasnt so bad either. could have been a lot worse! i think the roll cage attached to the bumper supports took most of the impact. it didnt even break any of the stock a arms(i moved my rpms to the rear last night n put the rear arms up front) or the bulkheads. even the wheels were aligned afterwords.

i just ordered a new chassis on ebay for like 18 bucks shipped so thats not so bad. ironically i bought a parts lot of old emaxx stuff on the bay a few days ago and its on its way and includes everything else i need to fix it and more.

looks like ill be taking my truck all the way apart again.

Nice carnage pic's thou! Driving at night can be hazardous.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Did that to my tmaxx .15 and converted it to the 3.3. You should convert your emaxx to the 3908!
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Enthusiast
    yeah, i would love to but its too much $$$ i have to pay off my 1:1 car before i do that

RC Enthusiast
    well i found a steal of a deal on a 1/16 merv vxl on cl today. so i went out and bought it. came with an TQ am rx/tx(??) and a velineon vxl-3m waterproof system and 2 of the series 1 nimh packs(one is pretty much dead.)

now i can play with this fast little thing while my emaxx is down!

now to decide if i want to go get 2 2s lipos(in parallel) and a lipo charger for this thing......