Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    I dont know how much the bumper affects, but usually people turn their rpm bumpers upside down to prevent the front from lifting. Maybe a myth i dont know.
    I don't think it would help very much for flipping, but might have a positive effect on the aerodynamic aspect of it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by brailman133 View Post
    Need me some foams like those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They're are the low profile jacos. They look great. Don't know for sure yet how they will be for speed runs with the motor I'm using...but anyway they're great for the Velineon

RC Qualifier
    I'm building a rustler with a 2560kv ********* motor. It's got rear foams just waiting on shocks. Post some videos when u get her going

E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Qualifier
    Okay will do. Good luck with your build!

RC Qualifier
    Hmm feel like I should have just gotten an xo-1 for the money I put into this lol

RC Qualifier
    A tricked out rustler will cost as a xo-1 yes, more or less if you buy all parts brand new. How ever selling all stock parts will give you some hundred, but maybe you bought a roller I dont know.

You cant compare a custom 100 mph rustler with a out of the box xo-1. Speed wise the xo-1 will be better and more stable, but thats all. Speaking about speed, pure speed, there are faster and cheaper ones than the xo-1 any ways. But cheap and fast is not what xo-1 or a 100 mph rusty is. Majority of upgrades are done to keep these cars more durable, and majority of upgrades are done regardles of setup.

Your rusty is awesome, and since you had the motor and esc already, you just upgrade common stuff anyways. If I wouldnt sell my stock parts on my rusty (bought brand new vxl rtr), it would have cost as a xo-1. And I dont even run mamba monster setup, just 1/10 scale system.

Personly, I think a 70+ mph setup is more "down to earth" for a rusty than a 100 mph one. It wont be that big differance speaking of cash, but still. For one, you can achieve this with stock system.

RC Qualifier
    Yea. If it still was my choice I would take an Xo-1 over what I have any day of the week. I don't want to pour any more money into this to make it "sane" btw so I'll just stick with it

RC Qualifier
    I understand, some times its better to quit the project before you spend more money. How ever in your case, you can still get a fast rusty for less because you had some parts laying around all readdy. What parts do you actually need to make it running? How much would it cost to make it run? Also why do you think the xo-1 fits you better than the rusty?

RC Qualifier
    Oh my rusty is almost done. I mean I know an xo-1 is notttt in my future just for money reasons. But I'm waiting on a spur gear and I'm ready to go. I've been trying to find a gyro, but every website that I go to has it on backorder or not in stock. I just love the xo-1. Who doesn't? If I sold my rusty for a TON then I could afford an xo-1 lol.

RC Qualifier
    Look on hobbypartz for a gyro
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/driftbox.html

Mossie used on of these in his merv and was satisfied. Nowdays there are gyros equivalent to the e-sky that people used.
    Last edited by ttThree; 07-23-2012 at 10:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. Is there a difference between them. Meaning is the more expensive one worth the extra $10.40? I'll definitely order one of these

RC Qualifier
    I cant tell sorry, once again I refer to this thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ight=gyro+merv

RC Qualifier
    How about this one?
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/esekprhelogy.html
    It's an e sky but it's the EK2-0704"B"

RC Qualifier
    I am still waiting for my gyro from a certain over seas site got it f0r 11 dollars shipped

E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Qualifier
    No, dont use dual rate "headlock" gyros.

RC Qualifier
    Okay I figured that, but thought I'd ask thanks

RC Qualifier
    Purchased a gyro online. The drift pro GD-4. One of the reviews said that a guy had used it in his mamba monster rustler and he absolutely loved it. So that's the one I'm going with. I'll be ready for speed runs within the next week or so. Stay tuned, Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Let us know how that gyro is the one I got for 11 bucks is junk. Take pics too... Please.

E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Qualifier
    Ok sure. This one was 26 bucks. I'm hoping it is good lol. I couldn't find the ESky anywhere so this one seemed just as good. I'll take some pics of it when it comes in the mail.

RC Qualifier
    Ya I seen it on that website read the same review about using in mamba.... Did u lower your rear shocks with fuel tubing or just let the motor weight lower the rear?

E-maxx 3903
    GraveDigger BL power
    Slash CC SCT

RC Qualifier
    I lowered it with fuel tubing

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Dont know if this will be helpful to you at all. I did a bunch of speed running with a rustler last summer. Tried all different motors. My goal was 100mph, but I ran out of interest before I ever hit 100. My fastest speed was 85 with the GRP tires and the 2650 motor on 6S. The car had more in it but it wouldnt stay on the ground. Thought maybe the info here would be helpful as you build your car too.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...y-OWN-rusty...

Speed running is not cheap. A 6S rustler is a very specialized vehicle and presents ALOT of challenges that can take money, time and alot of thinking and planning to overcome. Just because someone else did it, doesnt mean its always a great idea. If your looking to just go fast in a straight line, a rustler probably isnt the best platform to start with. But, if you want to go fast in a straight line and it MUST be a rustler, have patience and do it right. Listen to the experience of others here who have tried and it will save you alot of money. For instance, the foam tires suck. Anything over about 80mph and they start to come apart. One spin at 80mph and you can very easily ruin tires. The GRP tires are excellent. Improve high speed grip and handling and have less drag. If you still can, send your foams back and go with the GRP's...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I can't send my foams back because I got them a while back. I'll use them anyway. When they tear apart I'll worry about it then and most likely get the grps
    Last edited by Nitroelectric; 07-28-2012 at 08:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe I could just sell my current jacos. They're brand new. And then buy the 17mm adapters and grps

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Thats what I ended up doing. I had a set of the white non LP jacos (they sucked) that I only ran once or twice. Then, I bought the LP's thinking they were the answer. Unfortunately, by the time I figured out they were junk as well, i had already ruined 2 of them. Sell them now, before you wreck them, while they are still worth something and get the GRP's. I honestly could not believe the difference the GRP's made... shoudl have just done it from the beginning.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    It has been mentioned before in the thread, that jacos may not be the best if aiming on 100 mph, how ever, the jacos LP and regular is awesome wheels for high speeds. They track straight and are stable, at least to 70-80 mph.

But yeah, if you find good 17mm adapters then grp is the way to go for 100 mph. I cant see the benefit from the LP though compared to the regular, as they seem more durable and less likely to shredd. The jacos was never designed to hold up to 100 mph anyways.

Also if im not wrong the OP wasnt to optimistic either doing this build...it just ended up that way because he already had parts laying around.

By that said, the grp are not bulletproof either, and eventually you will crash some time in your process anyways. But that is a part of the game, which I think the op is aware of.

RC Qualifier
    As you all know the summer is almost over so I am going to stick with the jacos as most of the people making this rustler have done from the beginning. I am waiting on a gyro and 34T spur gear. I don't have enough money to purchase 17mm adapters and GRP's. I would have to wait for my jacos to sell and then buy that other stuff. I wouldn't be able to actually use it for like another month. Considering I don't have much patience, once the gyro and gear comes I'm going to do a speed run on 4s and see how that goes. I will most likely go with the GRP's eventually, but for now I am going to stick with what I have at hand.

And also I didn't have any parts laying around except for the motor and esc because I wanted to sell my e revo brushless as a roller to fund this project. I had bought a stock rustler vxl roller an purchased all the other parts along the way.
    Last edited by Nitroelectric; 07-30-2012 at 03:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    You had motor and esc and that helped you alot with the budget, because these cost 250-300 dollars new. So yes, I would consider that as "parts laying around". But I get your point, drive it on 4s or what ever and good luck in the future. As the summer is soon over, I will take it easy as well with the modding, and wait to next year to start with my project again.

RC Qualifier
    Okay so finally my gyro came in the mail today. I installed it today as well and the difference is even noticeable without actually driving it lol. So yeah my spur gear shipped today so I'm waitin' on that and an awesome body that I got on eBay that will be a huge surprise! Hmmmm what else.....oh wait I had to throw away a 2s lipo today, that's always exciting. So thats all folks!

back to the tires discussion.... if the road traction is good at your place, the Jaco is the answer. in my case i waited for about 4 month to buy them as it was not in stock and was a backorder item them and after just a few seconds i noticed that it was a big mistake buying these for someone living in my location were the asphalt is melted in most tracks because of the sunbeam, so there's only a little traction that can't help.

in the same time other guys like ACE in ny city were so lucky having a high traction asphalt as his jacos managed to help keeping his rustler steady until beyond the 100mph .

so i guess that Jacos can work fine but if the road or track helped at the same time.

RC Qualifier
    Yea where I live high heat only comes around every so often. Other than days like those I don't think I will have much of a problem. Plus summer is almost over so…thanks for giving me a heads though

RC Qualifier
    I am so mad right now. Traxxas freaking banned me from the market place claiming I was spamming on my own thread for rustler parts. I bumped once today ONCE and the idiot told me I was spamming. After this thread I am done with traxxas. Might as well not even use my rustler and just sell it. I hate this

RC Qualifier
    Your not the only one who hates marketplace rules. Everytime I see a mod interupt a sale I get ****ed. I can see if they are trying to sell a hpi or losi
    Vehicle then yes but I saw a guys thread get deleted because he was trying to sell 2 stock slash chassis's with designs on them because they said he was trying to sell his services. If they would ban me from the marketplace it wouldn't bother me, you cant say one sentence without breaking a rule there!
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Okay well after almost a month of waiting here are the gears. I also mounted and installed my gyro as well.

RC Qualifier
    Any suggestions on tightening the slipper? I tried with pliers but it wouldn't budge one bit. I'm confused... It seems too loose because when on the throttle it slips a lot.

You need a small deep socket with arm to rotate that slipper nut easily. it comes as a part of a full set tool.

RC Qualifier
    Can u show me a picture of this?

RC Qualifier
    hey nitro electric empty ur inbox please trying to pm u thanks

Hey Nitro, I too got the same exact gearing. Question, how were u able to make it fit? My adjustment hole (on the bottom) doesnt go back far enough, so im guessing one has to expand it with a dremel. What did u do?
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    hey nitro electric empty ur inbox please trying to pm u thanks