Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    It will be the same i guess, it all depends if you can find 6s or 2x3s at good prices. I also think 2200kv is to much, and the ultimate for speed would be the mamba 2650kv motor by the way, as many others are saying. Or the 2400kv motor and 4s, that will be good for 80-85 mph I guess.

looks great nitro! Just for the record, what a extended bottom slide hole looks like.

Cant wait to see more pics!
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Thank ya! I sent u a pm reply on that topic

RC Qualifier
    I think I can still use it :P

So I open my drawer of batteries and this is what I see. I am very upset about this. But I have two more 2s lipos (these exact ones) that I can probably use. One is kind of starting to have a curve. I don't know if I should use it or not.

RC Champion
    is that from low voltage?

hmm have a alumnium rc basher that you dont care about that you feel like testing that battery?

most unfurtuniant
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    is that from low voltage?

hmm have a alumnium rc basher that you dont care about that you feel like testing that battery?

most unfurtuniant
    I honestly have absolutely no idea. It was not looking too great when I put it in my drawer (like a couple months ago) and all of a sudden I guess it burst under pressure. And no I have a slash vxl that I wouldn't test it out on. I'm just gonna chuck it. Take the safe way out lol

RC Qualifier
    First speed run. I did it on 3s first to be safe and get a feel for the car. On 3s I achieved 64.7 mph. I will be taking a video tomorrow of 4s. I also had to unplug the gyro because it needs adjusting. It was steering the rusty by itself.

Also my motor moved because of my arrogance to not properly put it on. I need to do some dremeling so it doesn't pop off again. It happened after I slowed down, after the 65 mph run.
    Last edited by Nitroelectric; 08-25-2012 at 05:24 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Okay dremeled everything up good so all 3 screws that are supposed to be connecting to the motor are on. Lol I only had 2 and one was not on correctly. I managed 2 passes. 1st 48 mph 2nd 65 mph. Tomorrow I'm gearin' up for 4s!! And maybe 6s. Idk about where I'm using it. It might be a bit sketchy :/

RC Champion
    my 4s puffed, i opened it up cause the case was cracked and it looked like only one cell was puffed, the other 3 looked fine
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    Today was not successful. One of my 2s lipos has a dead cell I believe. So the whole time I thought I was running 4s I was actually running 3s with bad batteries. So I hit 55 mph. Clearly not a good day at all. School is starting tomorrow so I might not be able to do 6s until next weekend. Then I am certain we will be seeing bigger numbers. Like 80+ mph. I don't have much room so I'll push it to the limit without hitting something at the other end of the parking lot. Lol Sorry guys

RC Champion
    eww school tomorrow, what grade you in?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    eww school tomorrow, what grade you in?
    10th :/ its gonna stink

RC Champion
    same here!! i start tuesday

RC Qualifier
    Hahaha good luck with everything!

RC Qualifier
    Well, my first prio would be to fix the gyro so the car tracks straight. The gyro shouldnt steer tha car automatic, if it does to have to much sensitivity, also if the wheels does not center you might have a faulty one.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to bring it to the parking lot I've been doing speed runs at, and spend a few minutes tweaking the gyro's "gain" aka sensitivity. At 65 mph it was straight. That's why I started on 3s and not 6s lol.

RC Champion
    hmm must be me
    i tought since you were doing this speed build you were older

lol grade 12 this tuesday to

RC Qualifier
    Oh haha well what made u think that? The money and stuff?

RC Racer
    Looking at the you tube vidoes of draven and a few others with give you all of the answers you need. I've followed it and it works; now i'm trying to reach 100mph at 300 feet, or 100mph using a smaller motor. But before you continue with all of these
    expensive upgrades, ask yourself.. and then what? Last I checked, no one is getting any $$$ for speed runs. But have fun with it. BTW my grade level.. MD/Ph.D... LOL Enjoy

RC Qualifier
    This was sort of a "hmm this sounds like fun" sorta situation. I had the motor and esc from my donor E-Revo brushless which I tried to turn into a speed runner but blew a tire so that was the end of that. Plus the parts were super expensive for it. I sold it as a roller, took the motor and esc and dropped it in a new rusty roller I bought with the money from the revo. Once I reach my goal of 100 mph I'll just have fun with it or take the Velineon setup from my slash and turn it into a basher. You never know......probably not though lol

RC Competitor
    what type of engine mount do yo need to have to properly fit a 2200 kv engine or 2650 kv engine on the back of a rustler 1/10 scale where do you buy these adapters at??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor2012 View Post
    what type of engine mount do yo need to have to properly fit a 2200 kv engine or 2650 kv engine on the back of a rustler 1/10 scale where do you buy these adapters at??
    The integy alloy gearbox. This is the one that I have-http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_Gr_Bo...7983silver.htm
    Or the venom one- http://www.ultimatetoys.com.au/venom...r-p-15451.html
    It's more pricey but you can get it in other colors like red, orange, or grey. Whichever you prefer, they both fit those large motor diameters. Hope this helps

RC Qualifier
    The motor issue isnt a problem, if you have a dremel you can make it fit. If you doing a 100 mph build i suppose you have money and knowledge to mod at a higher "level".

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    Its hard to say, you can controll the rustler with the 2200kv but it wont be easy, not to speak about a very long straight road that is needed. A gyro is a definatly buy, also you need to balance the wheels and make sure the car goes really straight. This is the key to achieve high speeds with minimal damage. Also weights on the front end is important, people use about 1 pound 0.5 ounces or something like that. I have heard that the 2200kv has that much power people running 100 mph are running on half throttle. We still dont know for sure how vaild those "100 mph" runs are, specially since some claim to run 100 mph with 3s battery...

OP: What other parts are you using, for example tires, gyro, shocks?
    I can't speak to everyone elses setup, but my Mamba Monster Rustler 6S will run WAY over 100 mph. I would dare say 100 mph at half OR 5/8ths throttle is realistic, if you have enough room to get up to speed and eventualy slow down. In theory, if it were controllable and the tires wouldn't shred into a million peices, and it was aerodynamicaly possible without flying, the car would go 145mph - I've done the math and figured it out. I've ran it at about 85 mph (on radar) at about 1/3rd throttle and kicked it up to 2/3rds throttle and it flipped right over and skid about 45 feet. That was with 2 lbs of weight on the front bumper and a 4 inch extended wheelie bar. I'm running mine on 25/34 gearing, the guys that are running 1:1 or 34:34 are even faster. Long story short, 100 mph at 1/2 throttle is possible.
    Last edited by bcarpenterjr; 09-18-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: My spelling and grammer were terrible

RC poster
    There are a few other options available. Do not get the Integy HD Gear Box though - it has to be a flat, open faced design in order to fit the larger diameter 2200kv motor in it. With the Integy Silver 7983 you can fit up to about a 30 tooth pinion and 34 tooth spur. If you want to go higher on the pinion you will have to modify the case slight and elongate the bottom motor mounting hole with a dremel tool or other precision cutting instrument. Pretty easy really given the overall project. Good luck!

RC Qualifier
    In theroy everything is possible, how ever 100 mph with a rustler isnt easy at all, which we have seen. There are only a couple of 100 mph rustlers out there, majority of them has questionable proof of their runs. You may run 100 mph at 1/2 throttle or what ever, but above 100 anyways will be hard.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah you will have to have a ton of space, which I don't, but eventually will probably go someplace where there is.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    Oh haha well what made u think that? The money and stuff?
    no not the money.the stuff and progress and time.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    for space how about the salt flats??

open, some what smooth(to my knowledge) but riding in a chase car and being able to do it there lol

RC Qualifier
    Oh lol. Well I might be going to an abandoned air field where there should be plentyyyy of space considering the runway and stuff. There I'll take a vid and try to hit 100 mph. I have no where around where I currently live to actually do that. I might end up selling it anyway afterwards. Get something else....

Nice man. Except for the selling it part Il be soon on to the next one also.

RC Qualifier
    Yeahh I know. Once I hit 100 then I'll be thinking "Well, what now?" What else am I going to do? I invested all my time and money into this build, so when I think of selling it I'll be in the situation with the angel and devil on your shoulders. One will be saying, "You put so much effort into this, don't do it!" While the other will be like, "get something more fun!" I honestly don't know, but I gotta hit 100 mph first. That's the point of this build so it's my primary objective. Can't wait to go to Floyd Bennett Field! FYI that's the abandoned airport.

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, haven't posted in a while I know, but today I got creative, maybe a bit too much but whatevz. I modified the placement of my bumper for maximum aerodynamics for the day I go and try to hit 100. I also applied some black cardboard as a skid plate (I know it's hugely ghetto) because the bumper is no longer protecting that area. I only put cardboard there because it didn't cost me anything, protects it very well, and is black. So there you have it. Here's some pics-

It may not look too secure but trust me, I planned the angle and put enough double sided tape.

And there's my ghetto skidplate lol. It's better than nothing....

RC Qualifier
    Bump for my bud. Also going to test it out on 11/4.

Mamba monster rustler 2200kv
    Traxxas slash brushless

Nitro, Instead of having to do that with ur bumper, I know a way of getting the exact angle u want. Its what I did. Take ur RPM, and a defined heat gun, and u can warm up a seam to bend it down to the angle u want. Thats what I did, and it worked out real well.

Btw.... Rustler is looking awesome!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    A tricked out rustler will cost as a xo-1 yes, more or less if you buy all parts brand new. How ever selling all stock parts will give you some hundred, but maybe you bought a roller I dont know.

You cant compare a custom 100 mph rustler with a out of the box xo-1. Speed wise the xo-1 will be better and more stable, but thats all. Speaking about speed, pure speed, there are faster and cheaper ones than the xo-1 any ways. But cheap and fast is not what xo-1 or a 100 mph rusty is. Majority of upgrades are done to keep these cars more durable, and majority of upgrades are done regardles of setup.

Your rusty is awesome, and since you had the motor and esc already, you just upgrade common stuff anyways. If I wouldnt sell my stock parts on my rusty (bought brand new vxl rtr), it would have cost as a xo-1. And I dont even run mamba monster setup, just 1/10 scale system.

Personly, I think a 70+ mph setup is more "down to earth" for a rusty than a 100 mph one. It wont be that big differance speaking of cash, but still. For one, you can achieve this with stock system.
    i think 50-60 mph set is good
    emaxx 4092 1480kv motor 5s

RC Qualifier
    i love this thread im building a speed rustler i ran mine the other day on 3s it was fast i didnt have a gps but i would say 50+ easy but i ran out of room im going to try 4s this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by momort View Post
    i love this thread im building a speed rustler i ran mine the other day on 3s it was fast i didnt have a gps but i would say 50+ easy but i ran out of room im going to try 4s this weekend.
    Thanks a lot man! Yea I got mine up near 65 so 50+ is a definite. How's your build doing btw? Glad to hear about others doing this setup.

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Nitro, Instead of having to do that with ur bumper, I know a way of getting the exact angle u want. Its what I did. Take ur RPM, and a defined heat gun, and u can warm up a seam to bend it down to the angle u want. Thats what I did, and it worked out real well.

Btw.... Rustler is looking awesome!

Oooo I like that idea plus I'm thinking my bumper might be a tad bit low. I can see it now-"gets up to 80 mph and hits a little crack in the ground, and KABOOM there goes the entire front end and all of my weights!" I'll try that out thanks man!

And thanks about the compliment, but it's no where near as sexy as yours!

Traxxas slash brushless

RC Qualifier
    where do you guys get the weights from. also how do the xo-1 tires do for speed runs i heard they didnt work well on rustlers do to lack of downforce in the rear

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitroelectric View Post
    Thanks a lot man! Yea I got mine up near 65 so 50+ is a definite. How's your build doing btw? Glad to hear about others doing this setup.

Traxxas slash brushless
    it going ok i lowered it with fuel line add a gyro my question is how good are xo-1 tires do they have good grip