RC Competitor

Rustler 2200kv Project

Couple pictures and a few questions.
    1. Rear end sags more than I would like with two 5000mah 50c 3s lipos. Can anyone advise a set of rear springs that I can install on my big bores to stiffen the rear end up. Currently im running big Bores on all four corners with 50wt and lowered.
    2. 1/8th Extra Soft GRP REVO 2013 or X0-1 slicks? Which does everyone prefer?

3. Anyone point me in the direction of a good Tire balancer?

Will post Video and specs soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    First let me start by saying.... Welcome to the forum, your truck looks great man. You may want to look into the Losi springs that fit the big bores. There are a bunch of different ones in various stiffness. I would suggest adding some fuel tubing to the inside of the shocks so they cannot fully extend out, thus lowering the car a little bit more. Your sitting a little high up, the less air under the car the better. I would also try to shift some of those weights up a little further to the front.
    I can't speak on the XO-1 tires but I can tell you the GRP tires are definitely quality wheels and work like a charm.. I have the older version with the different tread, but I really don't think it would make that big of a difference. There are multiple tutorials on the net on making your own tire balancer for pretty cheap. Anxious to see a video of it running. Keep the updates/pictures coming!!

RC Qualifier
    I'm running the GRP Revo compound A on my Rusty, the 2013 version. I was running Sweep EXP Red Dot 50 deg, but blew my left rear up. They're both belted, but I love the GRP's and I'm hitting speeds well over 100 mph. Plus the GRP's are pretty spot on, with respect to balancing. I use a Losi Precision Tire Balancer Part #LOSA99176, when mounting my own tires, they work great on 17mm wheels. Plus the Losi balancer also comes with a couple of ounces of balancing clay. What Garmin GPS unit are you running on your Rusty? I'm looking at getting one. I've just been using telemetry readings off my Airtronics MT-4 Tx, which I reckon isn't as accurate as I'd like. I'm running GPM shocks with black (stiff) springs on all fours with 100wt shock oil. The shocks are ******* huge, but perfect for my speed runs. I can drop the sh*t out of my FLM chassis, to get it as low as possible. If you're just focusing on speed runs, which is obvious, based on your setup, bump up your shock oil to at least 70wt and run the the Slash stiff springs, they fit perfectly. Don't go with Integy, you'll have to cut them, and Losi are too short for big bore shocks, the last time I checked, unless they've changed? LMK about your GPS unit and if you like it? Your GPS seems pretty compact, which is definitely needed, especially when I'm running dual 3S Maxamps, 6500 batts.
    Last edited by quantumreality; 12-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Qualifier
    Hey Quantum. What is "well over 100mph?" And do you have any videos of this?

RC Competitor
    Tested the Losi 8ight springs and they do not fit the Big bores at all. Larger overall diameter. You got a link to the Stiffer slash springs? Also I have always been told you want the rear end as stiff as possible for straight line racing. Should I mount the rear struts on the inner most holes so that they are almost vertical?

RC Competitor
    Very cool truck dude! What gears you using?

RC Competitor
    For now im running 18/54. But once I get it ready for some real speed runs will most likely be running 34/34

RC Qualifier
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...h-losi-springs

That should help you out.. That thread even has another link with all the springs and part numbers..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustler22 View Post
    Tested the Losi 8ight springs and they do not fit the Big bores at all. Larger overall diameter. You got a link to the Stiffer slash springs? Also I have always been told you want the rear end as stiff as possible for straight line racing. Should I mount the rear struts on the inner most holes so that they are almost vertical?

Mount the rear shocks to the mid point, on the inner most hole. It's really easy on mine, since I'm running FLM shock towers and there's a ton of places to mount the shocks. They give you so many options, unlike the stock Traxxas rear towers, or even STRC. The rear needs to be as stiff as possible. As does the front, especially since it's weighted. That's why I run 100wt shock oil in my GPM shocks, with the black springs. You want to run linear springs not progressive rate, Traxxas springs are progressive, they start out soft and gradually get stiffer, you don't want that. You need linear springs. I know Losi are linear, but I reckon I'm not sure they fit. I don't particularly care for Integy, but they do make a set of springs, where the yellow are as stiff as h*ll, and the reds are moderately stiff. I used to run the reds on all fours, when I was running Losi 8ight shocks, then I switched to Losi springs and I ran the black up front and blue in the rears. I know it's confusing, it's unfortunately trial and error at times. I just wished Traxxas would actually color their springs based on stiffness and make linear springs, instead of just put a little index color on top of the spring to denote the rate.
    Last edited by quantumreality; 12-06-2013 at 10:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    By the way, what Garmin GPS unit are you running, the one that's pictured on your post. I like the fact that it's so compact. Can you please provide the model # of your GPS unit. Thanks and much appreciated.

RC Qualifier
    You don't want your shocks super super stiff without any give. Your front shocks don't matter as much, you can have them pretty much as stiff as possible. The rear are alot more important. You want the rear shocks to have some give so when all the power transfers to the rear it slightly squats, plants the truck close to the ground and takes off..

Quantum, I'm still interested in what is "well over 100mph?" The GPS is a forerunner 101/201/301.. There are different models.

Mods are being real lenient lately..
    Last edited by Baltim0re28; 12-07-2013 at 08:30 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Would hardening and tempering a spring work? Would have to not warp it out of shape though
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]

Few updates:
    -Installed STRC slash 2wd LCG chassis extension
    -removed front weights, plan to add xo1 front bumper and add weights into the foam
    -added 34/34 mod 1 gearing
    -added grp front and rear shocks
    -flm shock towers
    Last edited by Rustler22; 01-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.

RC Champion
    Quoted from ^^^^ "Quantum, I'm still interested in what is "well over 100mph?"

I have been waiting to see it myself. I have to agree with what a few other people say. "No Pics, No Vids, then it didn't happen!"
    Last edited by Powerman; 01-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.

RC Champion
    [IMG][/IMG]

Few updates:
    -removed front weights, plan to add xo1 front bumper and add weights into the foam
    -flm shock towers
    Like what you have done. fine looking car. adding some length will definitely help keep the front down. Looks a lot better than a big hunk of metal. I also like your idea about the XO-1 bumper. Very interested in seeing how you mount it up. I want to do the same thing using the Scalpal body on a Slash 2x4. Keep the updates coming.

RC Qualifier
    Definitely like the route your going with this. Any ideas on the body you will be running? GT8 type body? Hope to see a few more updates soon! Good luck man.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
    Quoted from ^^^^ "Quantum, I'm still interested in what is "well over 100mph?"

I have been waiting to see it myself. I have to agree with what a few other people say. "No Pics, No Vids, then it didn't happen!"
    I'm glad your interested Powerman, that makes me feel soo special. 104.6, no video though, but I know it happened and that's all that matters to me. I'm not looking to impress you, sorry. I know how much you fancy video mate, but I'm not here to quench your thirst. Your opinion really doesn't mean anything, with respect to my passes, other than it's your opinion, and you're obviously entitled to it. Come to SoCal and I'd be more than happy to let you watch. Cheers!!!

RC Champion
    That's the response I was expecting.^^^ If I could do triple digits I would surely be getting a vid up for bragging rights. That's a big accomplishment in this hobby. Why come to SoCal when it can be posted for all to see. I am sure its not just myself that could benefit from seeing your set up and you accomplishing the task. And when you make a claim like that and continue to remind people of it. You owe the members of the forum the video documentation. Otherwise its just babble. I have read these pages long enough to know, Its going to be more than myself issuing the same request of you. BaltimOre28 asked to see as well. It wont be the last. I will be posting videos even if I can only hit 50 and wipe out. Just so its known I did it.
    By the looks of things, Rustler22, your going in the direction I would go. Add some length! But I don't see a Qyro. You going to use one? I am thinking with the added length and if you use the XO-1 bumper your front should stay down nicely. If you need to add a little weight to keep it down it can be hidden very well. Look a lot better than a big hunk of metal on the front.
    I am looking forward to seeing how it all plays out for you. Using geometry instead of mass is exactly what I would do. And the XO-1 bumper is going to help prevent air from getting under your shell. Keep coming with the updates.
    Last edited by Powerman; 01-15-2014 at 10:51 AM.

RC Champion
    [IMG][/IMG]

Few updates:
    -flm shock towers
    I am wondering if you could notch the foam to fit around the RPM bumper. Be one way to mount it up. By notching the foam you could also make it a little tighter to the ground. Just an idea for ya. Also, Have you tried to gag your shocks? You may benefit from a lower ride height. I used little O rings inside the shock to prevent them from fully expanding. Some people use fuel tubing. Then add a heavier weight oil like quantum recommended. That will put more preload on your springs and help with the sag overall. Do you still have the Orange springs that came with the GPM's? They are the stiffest of the assortment. Your setting up for speed runs. You don't want/need much travel in your suspension. Why would you need it on smooth pavement. IMO I would limit the travel to about 10mm. That way you might avoid the speed wobbles. Just another suggestion.
    Last edited by Powerman; 01-15-2014 at 11:07 AM.

RC Competitor
    At this time i dont plan on using a gyro. The front end has 10mm or less of travel and is just about scrapping the ground. The rear has more travel and is about 3/4 inch clearance. After testing different bodies, I realize a GT8 touring car body will be the best fit with the extended wheel base. Also with the GPM struts the black springs are actually the stiffer of the bunch even more so than the reddish orange springs. I have ordered x01 front/rear body mounts/ bumpers and complete aero kit. Once i get all the parts I will figure out how I will attach everything. I have been searching the web and have found a few slash 2wd with complete gt8 conversion and x01 aero kits installed. SO with some modification Ill make it work. One question I had for you guys, Is there any 2.4ghz Trans/rec. combo that would give me the furthest amount of range? Or are they all pretty much the same?

RC Champion
    Sorry about my mistake on the spring rate. My bad. Suspension sounds about right. IMO understood still going for speed myself. Are you going to use a wheelie bar? Stock one is keeping mine pinned to the ground so far. A little insurance. That T-Bone will help flipped around. Puts a little give in the rear but will push it back down.
    For a RX I am using a FlySky FS-GT3B. Uses 8 AA batteries. The FS-GT3C uses a lipo thats included. Same radio otherwise. But the FS-GT3C has power switch issues that causes the radio to turn off. So Not recommended my me. The RX/TX has done me well. Has really good range. Plenty of settings to play with. And its priced to be affordable. I am sure there are better radios but I do fine with mine. I am guessing that I have been 200yds out with no issues. So that would be an estimated 400yd run. And I am guessing on the conservative side. I will surely find out next time I run. I will just beam it with the range finder then we will know.
    Keep it up. Doing a great job at inspiring my next build.

RC Competitor
    Couple updates to this project.
    -Performed the Jang Wide mod for the front end, installing the Rear arms in the front.
    -Finally purchased a Dynamite wheel balancer and balanced the X01 tires. I found the rear tires to be badly out of balance.
    -Removed the bulky Waterproof Receiver Box. Took up too much space. Now I have room for a traxxas GPS module i will be linking up soon with the telemetry.
    Now I need to find a body I like that will fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Btw that is a full size Erevo Brushless behind the rustler for a wheel base size comparison. With the STRC LCG chassis extender and the Jang wide mod the wheel base is Really Long. It doesnt even fit the Slash Scalpel body anymore.

RC Qualifier
    If your still planning on using this as a speedrun rig, that extra width is actually going to work against you unless you can find a body wide enough to cover the wheels. Looking good though.

RC Competitor
    The protoform gt8 body by proline should cover up the wheels. Should be nice for speed runs. I also have a Tekin rx8 II with a 2000kv motor im gonna run for track racing.

RC Qualifier
    nice looking rustler. my rustler has a G-force 550 2200kv motor on 3s geared 17/36 mod-1 gears, hobbywing xerun 80 amp esc , gyro with anaconda tires tape I took it out for a run today man I was impressed this thing is a rocket at part throttle I need a wheely bar because half throttle pulls the front tires and this is with the slipper loose.
    Rustler 3s 550 2200kv
    emaxx 5s 2150kv

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I shred my anacondas with my 2200 on 4s and the tires are taped after that I went and bought some suprasales which are good for few runs after that its all drifting tires lol now I'm running GRP wheels/tires.

sent via Samsung LIGHT using tapatalk
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    my 2200kv is a 550 not the 1/8th scale motor but it has plenty of power plus I have the esc tuned mild my anacondas are tape with dry wall tape and gorilla tape no ballooning at all but when they go im going with the g-locs
    Rustler 3s 550 2200kv
    emaxx 5s 2150kv

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Not much updated since my last post. I wrecked a few times at high speed and learned alot. Finally found a body that fits and is aerodynamic. Also was able to fit an xo1 foam bumper to an rpm bumper. Next plans is to add two seperate battery holders and metal trays on each side of the chassis. Also plan to mount an XL2 esc where the batteries currently sit.Will power a Castle 1717 on 8s.