Thread: New Boss

RC Competitor

New Boss

Just got a new boss for fathers day....I have 3 emaxx a slash stampede 1/16 erevo and so on. This is my first on road car and need to know what is the best set up as far as tires and suspension gearing
    is concerned running 2s

Thanks

RC Competitor
    Just did a run on 2s it was fun, dont mind drifting with the stock tires. What tires should I get to make the car stick more so I dont have the drifting effect?

RC Enthusiast

RC Racer
    congratulations on the new boss...i got to get my KB rally last year for Fathers day. our club here has started racing them this year and i have found these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-RC-1-10...#ht_1370wt_952

they take about 2 weeks to get they wear really well and come with a molded insert . i would stay away from the cheap rims run the stock traxxas or hpi rims with a 3mm offset . there are good setups in the road racer thread that really make these cars fly. the stock gearing lets the electronics get to hot i run a 28/50 set up and its no where near as hot as the stock 28/45... drop me a line if you have any more questions
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/281683941894234/

Nice. im shopin around for the right hpi tires. Any suggestions there?

Also, whats the opinion on the KB drift tires, vs Traxxas BF goodrich?

Congrats on the new boss btw! I too have a several trucks, and just got a boss in build right now.
    Build, Bash, Clean, Repair, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AbSoLooT1 View Post
    Nice. im shopin around for the right hpi tires. Any suggestions there?

Also, whats the opinion on the KB drift tires, vs Traxxas BF goodrich?

Congrats on the new boss btw! I too have a several trucks, and just got a boss in build right now.
    Hpi Xpatterns, belted or non in d-compound work well. I have trying to find the differences between the gymkhana slicks and the rally bfgoodrichs, and to be onest i dont notice much of a difference between the two once the treads wear off the BF's. I have rum the hpi's for grip, i have knock off t-drifts for drifting (plastic) and to be onest i prefer the stock gymkhana's over both, they are a nice middle ground between grip and slip
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, +1 on all that. My XPat D's got run hard offroad and on for a about year and are finally pretty much done. They were great and I'd recommend them. The Belted Pros seem a bit crisper/edgier handling (stiffer?). I haven't run them long enough to tell how their wear will be but so far so good... (fwiw, I killed a set of Austar in about a month - don't bother with these)

I tried a bunch of R2 Hobbies-sourced drift tires and favor the T-Drift (HPI copies) as they're the softest of the bunch. Haven't tried the Gymkhana but from what I can tell looking at them Skitlerz on the money... another step up in softness and grip and probably ideal for hooning.

I mentioned in a post somewhere around here but IMO the BF Goodrich Rally tires are only good enough to get you in trouble (on a street surface anyway)... they don't drift well unless the pavement's wet or you're running a lot of power, and their grip in the dry is precarious at best.

Quote Originally Posted by maddemaxx View Post
    our club here has started racing them this year and i have found these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-RC-1-10...#ht_1370wt_952

they take about 2 weeks to get they wear really well and come with a molded insert.
    I ordered a set of these a few days ago - for the price I figured it was worth a chance. Happy to hear they're good. How do they compare to something like HPI X D compounds?

Quote Originally Posted by maddemaxx View Post
    i would stay away from the cheap rims run the stock traxxas or hpi rims with a 3mm offset
    Fwiw, I've only busted one rim out of my many sets of cheap R2 wheels (think I have six or seven sets, went a little nuts there) by drifting over a drainage grate, and many have stood up to some pretty spectacular high-speed crashes. At half the price they're definitely better than half as good than HPI etc. That said, the HPI TE37 are my offroad wheels and have been indestructible.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-19-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: post merge
    The prototype project.