Thread: Disaster

RC Enthusiast

Disaster

Hi guys today was a total disaster sailing
    My first run no problem then had a short break and a coffee and thought right time to go again.
    So two fresh lipos 3s and went to connect them up and there was such a bang and flash from the esc and puff of smoke i nearly filled my pants.
    The positive connecting wire was also blown out of the esc at the same time.
    I have just emailed Traxxas for advice. Looks like no sailing this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    Was it the updated Castle ESC? If so you should contact Castle. When my Castle ESC burnt up they shipped me a new one then credited me back when I returned the burnt up one.

RC Qualifier
    Unfortunately this is not unheard of with the spartan. More so on the first generation electronics, but still happens occasionally on the "new" electronics.

Burning up on initial power up is rare, but it is the reason I switched my stock electrics over to a **** ESC. My daughter and I run together and I did not want to risk her being burned.

I understand the same could happen regardless of the ESC you are running but I have yet to hear of an incident where the **** burns up during power up. (I torched one, but that was pushing too high kv and too big a prop)

Traxxas has been extremely good about warranty on the electrics, but it is a less attractive option to those of us that are international customers, I'm not certain what Traxxas policy is for international warranty, but shipping costs and delays factor in.

That nasty burnt electronics smell that you can't get out of the hull is the pits as well.

Too bad about not having the boat for the weekend, let us know how you fair with the warranty.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 04-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes it is the updated Castle esc so took your advice and emailed them aswell as traxxas.
    I will let you all know how i get on, funny thing is my 30days warranty will be up on saturday.

RC Competitor
    Be Careful with those things!! I have perm. Scars from a LiPo popping from an ESC on my hand and arms.

A gruesome image has been removed from this post.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-05-2012 at 08:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    hi ceilidhkeith im also from the uk and own 6 other propducts from traxxas but since the (bristol uk traxxas) shut we get no help from traxxas warranty any more all traxxas think of is usa and nobody else we cant even use the power up program it sucks big time come on traxxas sort something out for europe customers put traxxas back in the uk.

RC Competitor
    Any luck with traxxas warranty on a new esc

RC Qualifier
    traxxas has one of the best warranty systems out there and have no worries they will help with any problem i have a friend from the uk and they were happy to help him with his problems dont know y you say they wont help you out
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Champion
    Have you actually tried to contact Traxxas by email or phone call? I'm sure they will respond in one way or another, great customer service.. don't give up!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Competitor
    when traxxas was in the uk in bristol i used them many times for help and warranty parts and never had any problems but since it shut we get no help even are hobby shops dont help everytime iv asked for help with faulty items from traxxas usa i get no help all we get is advise on problems and the shipping cost is so high its pointless we just buy new off other web sites i hope ceilidhkeith has more luck than me.

RC Enthusiast
    Update on my burned out ESC.
    I emailed Traxxas they advised i get in touch with Castle Inovasions Castle asked me to send it to them, but before i got an email from them a gent in a model shop in Morley told me to post it to Logic RC in Hertford so i did. He said they are very good and had replaced one before.They should have just recieved my burned ESC in the post so i am waiting to hear from them at the moment.

RC Enthusiast
    The traxxas shipper in UK is now RC logic and have to say they are pretty good spoken many time know's his stuff the on I speak to
    Sorry didn't read last post

RC Enthusiast
    I did not realize who Logic RC are, i did not know they deal with Traxxas. They have been in touch with me since i sent them my ESC in the post but only to tell me the chap that sorts the repairs is not in until Monday. They will get back to me when they have looked at it. I will keep you posted as soon as i get any news guys.
    Demoted to my Club 500 this weekend bit of a letdown after my Spartan though.

RC Enthusiast
    Well guys at last i got my Esc back thumbs up to Logic RC and a big thank you especialy to Stuart Esc replaced under warranty. Get it all back together now and try it out at the weekend. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TMESTMAKER View Post
    Be Careful with those things!! I have perm. Scars from a LiPo popping from an ESC on my hand and arms.

A gruesome image has been removed from this post.
    Please PM me this removed pic lol.
    Slash 4x4
    Spartan
    Stampede
    Rustler x 3

RC Racer
    Traxxas service is good and quick but they ask you to contact Castle directly for their components....

Took 4 weeks to get a reply and they hadn't even read my mail through... At direct contact with a support rep I got more attention though...

Had to send my esc to the US from Norway... It will be a loooong 4 weeks wait I guess....
    The ERBE viking will never walk alone

RC Racer
    It's actually horrible for us outside the US...... (castle I mean)...

Reported a problem to Traxxas 15.03
    Answer 18.03 (good) - the answer was "contact Castle Support" (not good...)

Contacted Castle (mail - phone isn't that simple from Norway) 20.03...
    Asked for response 04.04 as no reply was registered
    Got answer 16.04 - send to US for repair (doohh)
    Sent to US 23.04
    Received at Castle 02.05
    Asked for status 15.05 - answer "another 2 weeks"
    Asked for status again 04.06 - same answer "another 2 weeks"
    Replacement item sent from Castle 06.06... 12.06 now and still waiting

2,5 months +++ in total and almost half of the season is over...

Nice...

RC Champion
    I almost feel your pain and hate waiting for parts. I live in the country 40+ miles from a hobby shop and that is why I have almost 1 spare part for all my rc's. My garage is looking like a mini Traxxas parts house

Hopefully you will receive the parts you need soon
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Racer
    Got it yesterday - finally

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CeilidhKeith View Post
    Well guys at last i got my Esc back thumbs up to Logic RC and a big thank you especialy to Stuart Esc replaced under warranty. Get it all back together now and try it out at the weekend. Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Well it has been over two weeks since you have had your new ESC.....Is the boat being all it can be?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you for asking it is running superb on 5s only though, i dare not chance 6's just yet, i have double water pickup on the rudder now, double trim tabs a 215 prop, a larger water jacket and just got a new drive shaft in the post today a .187.
    When i get this on i think i will chance using 6's. I should be ok now for a while.What you may have missed in my posts is a week after i got my esc back i twisted a drive shaft up something awful and had to get that replaced. But once again many thanks to the forums and a lot of the old timers on here one thing i have learnt is not to run 6s on a stock model unless you have very very deep pockets.

RC Qualifier
    you will be happy with the .187 flex shaft!

RC Racer
    Can someone send me links to all parts needed for an .187 upgrade?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Erland View Post
    Can someone send me links to all parts needed for an .187 upgrade?
    You may want to go to this thread that SJS did on installing the .187

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e&goto=newpost
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis