RC Champion

broke motor or tranny?

was at the track today and after i went through my only 2s the only other battery i had was my 3s. needless to say a 3s is to much for the track. lol. right before i got off the track it started move really slow and make like a grinding sound. i got home and ran my slash in the driveway to see where the issues was coming from and found it to be in the motor/tranny area. i held the truck down and held the spur gear still and hit the throttle a bit. i noticed the sound and also noticed that the spur gear and the pinion gear were not moving so looks like the issue is in my velineon motor. how much is a new motor? can traxxas do anything for me maybe?

RC Qualifier
    Check the set screw on the pinion gear may have come loose or you may have twisted it around if so a new pinion and screw. But if that dont fix it. Call traxxas they have always surprised me with their warranty. At worst I think you send that motor to them and 15 or 20$ and it comes back fixed!!

RC Champion
    Loosen up motor mount screws and disengage the pinion from spur gear. Can you easily turn the motor by hand using the pinion? If so you might be fine, now try to power up the motor while still disengaged, does it sound quiet and smooth?

Next, uncouple the the driveshafts at the tranny, can you spin the tranny easily by using the spur gear? Is there any up and down motion on the spur gear shaft if you try to wiggle it? If so a bad bearing inside the trans is likely, also the well known failure of the small pin that holds the top gear in place inside the tranny on this top shaft.

Also check your slipper pads/assembly, there is also a small pin behind the rear slipper plate, make sure the pin is there and nothing has gotten in behind it.

If the tranny is spinning freely then take a closer look at both of the rear bearing carriers for a bad bearing in either side?

the magnets may have broken away from the armature. this usually happens from over heating. were you checking temps with the 3s battery? did you gear down when you switched to 3s?
    Sit down, buckle up, hold on, pay me...

RC Champion
    i didnt gear down but i didnt think i needed to. my temp right after i got off the track was about 160. i dont think that is overheating is it? a few months ago i did take my slash around the block and on the main street for a total of about 4 or 5 miles. i only made like 4 turns and did about 54mph most of the time. i didnt have my temp gun back then but i did put my finger on the motor a few times and was able to hold it there for like 2-3 seconds. i thought maybe that could have did number on the motor even though it didnt really overheat but just had it topped out for a few miles straight.

RC Racer
    How do you guys check temps? Just curious newbie question. Thanks.

RC Champion
    infra red temp gun. i got mine from autozone. you can probably get one from any parts store.

RC Qualifier
    I broke my motor rotor magnet on my first 3s run :P

You should maybe gear down about 16/86.
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Wait, I gear up when I run 3s to take advantage of the extra volts...

I run 19 or 20/83 on 2s, and 23/83 on 3s.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it works for me.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Champion
    ya my gears are 32 pitch so i run 56 spur and 15 pinion which is about the same as 23 pinion and 86 spur in48 pitch. i just remembered that when i last removed my motor and put it back in a few months ago i grabbed a pair of longer ones by accident and stuck them in. i didnt run it with the longer screws cause i realized what i did right away but that might have damaged my motor.