RC Racer

Your advice for long travel shocks.

I'm thinking to replace the shocks in my Slash VXL 2x4 as I want to achieve just a little more shock travel.
    The rear is 4.3" long and the front are something like 3.5".
    The plan is to get only rear new and longer shocks and move the original rear shocks to the front.
    Could you suggest rear longer shocks, something like 4.7" ?
    Thanks

RC Racer
    Thanks for clearing the dust from my privies topic
    I was actually looking for that one to continue writing there but somehow I missed it…
    Anyway,
    Unfortunately there wasn’t any final conclusion / suggestion regarding longer travel shocks.

I rebuild my original shocks, replaced the oil, made sure this time it actually full as it should and its better now but still I would like to have just a little more shock travel and this is way I'm asking.

So, any suggestions ?

p.s: moderators, you can unite the 2 topics.

RC Champion
    move the bottom of the shocks to the inner mounting holes. also try changing your springs. progressive springs arent very good. you dont want the springs that are soft on the ends but stiff in the center. try 3.5lb springs up front and 4lb in rear or stiffer.

RC Racer
    move the bottom of the shocks to the inner mounting holes. also try changing your springs.
    already done that

there have to be longer shocks for the slash

RC Champion
    well im not sure which length shocks come on the slash but im pretty sure traxxas has 3 different lengths for the slash. long, x long and xx long. you can do what you said and put what you got in the rear and move them up front then get some xx long for the rear. just make sure you get springs long enough for them. front springs i think are a half inch shorter than the rear.

RC Racer
    Thanks.
    Yea, I noticed the XL, XXL shocks on eBay but when I contacted a seller regarding the XXL shocks and ask him what length are they, he told me they are 4" long and this sounds streange as my original rear shocks are 4.3" !
    Someone knows maybe what is the real length of them ?

RC Racer
    Contacted Traxxas support about longer shocks
    Apparently the stock shocks in the 5807 VXL are the XXL shocks.
    No longer shocks then that available from Traxxas.
    Now what ? there must be a vehicle with longer (4.7") shocks
    Help me guys.

RC Racer

Try proline powerstrokes I'm not sure the size though

RC Champion
    You could try some 1/8th scale buggy shocks such as the hot bodies D8 shocks. I've seen them on a slash before and they should give you longer travel. I think Dr. Isotope runs buggy shocks on one of his trucks.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

I just ordered a set of Losi Ten-T shocks for my Slash 4x4, I'll measure 'em when they arrive and let you know. Traxxas big bores are another option, I'll check the length in the AM.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    i just run stock emaxx shocks/springs in my slash! works great.
    RX8 Powered E-revo
    E-Slayer

i just measured my new Big Bores and they are 4 1/8" at the center of the mounting bolts. TOTAL LENGTH from end to end is about 4 3/8"

RC Racer
    thank ya all.
    i though about the big bore but they are the same length as the stock.
    using a 1/8 shocks how ever sounds intersting, ill check that.
    Thanks.

My Losi Ten T shocks just came in and they are quite a bit beefier than the BB's. The cylinder is also a little longer.

RC Racer
    My Losi Ten T shocks just came in and they are quite a bit beefier than the BB's. The cylinder is also a little longer.
    great!
    can you gice few size details, what is the overall length ?
    also if you can upload a pic it will be great and a link to where you got them.

i found this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:CA:1123

they are 4.57"...
    i think they will fit

RC Racer
    OK, eventualy got these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220638356503...ht_3327wt_1163

hope they wiii do the job

Great. Give 'em a thorough testing and report back to us.

Sent by magic from my phone

RC Racer
    Got the shocks today, looks nice.
    Total length from top to bottom measures 11.8cm.

(The Loctite is for perspective view)

Ill install them hopefully this weekend and report.
    As wrote hear before, the plan is to install the new in the back and move the original Slash rear shocks to the front to achieve a little more shock travel / ground clearance.

Can't wait to run it

RC Racer
    Weekend ?? yea right, who am I trying to full here…?
    Couldn’t resist it, took the afternoon off and together with my son we went to replace the shocks as planned.

Idea: replace the rear original shocks with a 1/8 shocks and move the rear ones to the front.

Anyway, I started to mount the new 1/8 shocks and they are much more beefier (bigger diameter) then the originals which makes the spring rub the metal rod that comes from the wheel hub:

Solution: I found a small plastic ring which was thick enough and used it as a spacer for the shock bottom screw so the shock is a little "far" from the rod, also I didn’t fully tightened the upper screw so the shock will have some "travel".

The only position I could assembled the shock on the bottom was on the far holes (closer to the wheel) which is ok as its much more progressive and I wanted it to be that way.
    As you can see the spring preload bolt is fully opened which means I got all the preload travel I could possibly want, the shocks can be much more stiff.

So, after a short assembly I took the slash and pushed downwards to see the shocks action and….., they are hard a as rock and they come out (re-stretch) VERY slowly, which is the worst for a race or a lot of small and near jumps.
    You just can't drive it like that, also the shocks didn’t even blinked when dropped from a feet high, only 2-3 feet and above "moved" something in the shocks.

So, I took them off and decided to have a look @ the oil inside.
    I opened the cap and…..well the paste that came out wasn’t oil, it was more like honey, mmm no, more like heavy grease in terms of viscosity.
    So, took it out, spilled the oil, cleaned the shock really good and filled it with fresh Traxxas oil, reassembled everything and…..walla….they are now working, actually doing g a very good compression work and much more softer not to mention they nice way they re-stretch.

So, if any of you want a cheap solution for bigger shocks, these will do the trick but remember to get fresh oil and first thing replace the original oil as it is for a tank and not for Slash.

this is fully stretched:

this is after a 3 feet drop:

this is how it was @ the begining with the originals:

regarding mooving the rear ones to the front - forget it, want work, the lower end want fit, its too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    great!
    can you gice few size details, what is the overall length ?
    also if you can upload a pic it will be great and a link to where you got them.

i found this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:CA:1123

they are 4.57"...
    i think they will fit
    The Losi Ten T shocks are Front 3 1/2", Rear 4" eye to eye.

RC Racer
    Just thought of it, I'm going to install the rear springs on the front shocks, hopefully it will eliminate the need for preloads.

RC Racer
    and it did
    coming friday....a race....

RC Qualifier
    To fit the rear shocks on the front, swap the lower balls from the front shocks into the rear shocks. Also, I didn't see G-Made shocks listed as an option. They have 3.5mm shafts, the option of piggyback (real piggybacks), emulsion, or bladder, 14mm bodies, and are available up to 124mm long.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    To fit the rear shocks on the front, swap the lower balls from the front shocks into the rear shocks.
    Tried that, but the ball want come out from the plastic, did u mean taking of the complete plastic with the ball inside ? how ?