RC Qualifier

Unhappy Vxl-3s motor stopped suddenly plzz plzz help me :((

Hi I was driving my slash 4x4 just hour ago in rain It was fine but 3 min of driving and it stopped in the middle of the road. I thought the pinion gear slipped from the motor. I got the car and opened the gear cover and it was ok. I got the motor out and tried to move the pinion but nothing it didn't even move slightly. What could happen and what can I do?
    Plz answer quickly
    Thenks

could be a couple of things. a part of the magnet might have broken and seized the motor, it could be a bearing locked up, it could be debris getting in there. your best bet is to take it apart and see if anything stands out to you. even take some pics of it and post them...we might be able to help there.
    Associated rc8TE, rc8.2E, B4.2, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Qualifier
    If I could I would send a picture but I cant
    The red or gold things that around the rotor came out of its place when I opened it I saw that.And it blocks the way out to take the rotor.

RC Enthusiast
    I could be wrong but sounds like your motor went out. Im not sure if that's something you can fix on your own

the motor is toast.. you can get them on ebay for 30-50 bucks. you can try to call traxxas, but i don't know if they warranty those for anything other than defects.

RC Qualifier
    I took the rotor out and it has a big crack on it I know That I can change the rotor. but can I change the golden things that are around the rotor ?

Quote Originally Posted by rustler1999929 View Post
    I took the rotor out and it has a big crack on it I know That I can change the rotor. but can I change the golden things that are around the rotor ?
    no, you can't. also make sure the stator isn't damaged. if that is, you're going to need to replace the whole thing or you're gonna have major issues and might even damage the esc..

RC Champion
    swith to a castle brushless system!
    SL4SH Mamba Monster-Rustler Mamba Max 2400kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxasFTW View Post
    swith to a castle brushless system!
    Castle is too expensive for me because I am only 13 years old, I save money for upgrades.

RC Qualifier
    I sent a message to Traxxas And I will see what they say, but I think I will have to get new motor
    If someone know why did that happen Please tell me
    thanks.

RC poster
    Good luck with Traxxas helping you out, they do not warranty any of their electrics which sucks big time. I have fried two Velineon's using stock gearing and 2s lipos and traxxas would not come to the party and help out at all. If you are on a tight budget seriously have a look at the ********* range of motors and Esc's. They are dirt cheap but in my honest opinion are the best bang for your buck products out there. Lots of people will probably jump in and say they are chinese sh#t, but most of these people have never used them. Since i went to a HK 150a esc and a ******* ********* 2650 motor i have had absolutely no dramas, they barely have to work to make the slash absolutely fly, and run super cool and efficiently. Another good option for people without endless supplies of $$$ are the Hobbywing range, they are a little bit more expensive than ********* but probably have a slightly better build quality. Dont believe the hype about top $$$ systems like Castle or Tekin, sure they are good but after having used all of the systems I have mentioned I can honestly say that I would rater pay One third of the price of a Castle mmp or mmm on a Hw or Hk system that in my experience will last just as long if you gear them correctly and treat them right.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brozza75 View Post
    Good luck with Traxxas helping you out, they do not warranty any of their electrics which sucks big time. I have fried two Velineon's using stock gearing and 2s lipos and traxxas would not come to the party and help out at all. If you are on a tight budget seriously have a look at the range of motors and Esc's. They are dirt cheap but in my honest opinion are the best bang for your buck products out there. Lots of people will probably jump in and say they are chinese , but most of these people have never used them. Since i went to a HK 150a esc and a ******* ********* 2650 motor i have had absolutely no dramas, they barely have to work to make the slash absolutely fly, and run super cool and efficiently. Another good option for people without endless supplies of $$$ are the Hobbywing range, they are a little bit more expensive than but probably have a slightly better build quality. Dont believe the hype about top $$$ systems like Castle or Tekin, sure they are good but after having used all of the systems I have mentioned I can honestly say that I would rater pay One third of the price of a Castle mmp or mmm on a Hw or Hk system that in my experience will last just as long if you gear them correctly and treat them right.
    Thats not like Traxxxas at all. I've warranty exchanged 3 Velineon 3500, 2 VXL-3s and a VXL-3m with no issues. Only payed for one Velineon that was out of the 30 day period.
    ERBE, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 Grave Digger 4x4

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    Thats not like Traxxxas at all. I've warranty exchanged 3 Velineon 3500, 2 VXL-3s and a VXL-3m with no issues. Only payed for one Velineon that was out of the 30 day period.
    Im glad Traxxas helped you out mate because when I emailed them to claim my warranty this is the reply i got:

"Hello,

If the bearings are worn you need to replace them *The rebuild kit for the Velineon 3500 motor is part 3352. *It includes the bearings and spacers for the motor. *The *rotor is part 3353.

The fastest and usually the least expensive way to order parts is to go through your local hobby shop.

If the motor cannot be rebuilt you can send it in for replacement. *There is no specific warranty that covers motors but we can repair or replace it for a repair charge of $35 for the Velineon 3500 motor plus $30 return shipping to Australia.

I sent your RMA e-mail. *Please print a copy and return it with the motor."

And if you've gone through 2 Velineon 3500's, 2 vxl-3s & a vxl-3m in under 30 days I think that speaks volumes about the quality of them, aside from being waterproof I have found them to be one of the worst combo's i have ever used. Please dont take this to be a dig at you because it certainly is not, and i'm glad to hear that they apparently look after some of their customers, but it is a dig at Traxxas. The bloody things are rated at 3s and 200a, yet they thermal on 3s in about 5 minutes even with the 13t pinion, i think this is blatant false advertising and it certainly takes the shine off an otherwise great little truck. 60mph straight out of the box....pffft, only if you want to thermal in 3-4 minutes and probably fry your motor.

Traxxas warranties their electronics, but usually not the motors unless they are defective from the factory. the reason for this is WE are usually the cause of the motor getting deep fried, not Traxxas.

You have to be accountable for your ride. check temps every few minutes and see where how hot it is. depending on where you live, some people have to gear very low because of the heat. some can gear very high becaue their climate is cooler. It also depends on where you run. if you're in thick grass, of course it's gonna overheat. Traxxas also offers an esc fan that helps ALOT. you can also add a motor fan.

I've never had any issues with over heating at all....but i do run a vented body, and an esc and motor fan. i also gear to the size of tire iuse and how i drive. all these things will effect temps. this is not traxxas fault if people don't account for it.

Are there better systems? yes. but the velineon system, if handled correctly, is plenty for the slash.

I have had esc failures, but for different reasons. i've never had to pay for one single return. never. Traxxas has always taken care of me.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 06-15-2012 at 09:20 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Yes I had rustler xl-5 I burned out my motor in I day of using 5000mah 8.4v battery Then I got new motor but again something happen the brushes fell out and bought new one again I sold my rustler to my sister and she broke it again when she drove into a dirty puddle . and it said it Is waterproof pure Sh**. may be It can be driven in water but than after week it will start falling apart because the rust will attack it . same with the vxl 3500 motor maybe it is waterproof but some water got onto my bearings and they got rusty.
    And by the way the Traxxas told me to send the motor to them $35 for repair.

If someone knows where is the cheapest vxl 3500 traxxas to buy plz tell me and if you can give a link Thx

ebay is the cheapest place.i've seen them sell for $30 on up.

RC poster
    The velineon plenty for the slash??? Umm maybe not, the velineon is certainly plenty for some of the much lighter 2wd vehicles it comes in but it is notorious for overheating in the slash 4x4. Yes i do understand how gearing, terain, wheel size, venting, heat sinks & fans, and especially here in Australia ambient temperatures can affect your electronics, after owning about 30 odd vehicles over the past 25 years i have picked up the odd trick. But my point is that Traxxas markets this system as 3s capable and 60mph capable, and this is blatantly wrong. To gear the thing to be able to run on 3s is basically impossible as you can not fit a small enough pinion on it to make it viable, unless maybe you are running it in extremely cold ambient temps, which we simply dont get in my part of the world. And as for 60mph with a velineon??? Yeah maybe for about 2-3 minutes before the esc thermals, maybe Traxxas should make this much clearer and not have 60mph written so boldly on the box trying to suck people in. When i fried my 3500 i was running a 13t pinion, 2s 5000 mah lipo, heatsink w/fan on the motor and on a clay track. I agree that the 3500 does pump out some power but it also, like i already said, is notorious for heat issues if you push it even slightly hard. I am sorry for saying in my last post that traxxas doesnt warranty their electronics, that was a brain fart, and i actually meant to say that they dont warranty their motors. All i was trying to do was help this kid and tell him he would probably not get much help from traxxas for a stuffed motor and offer him some cheaper alternatives as he said he was on a low budget. I wa not looking for an argument or a lecture about things i learnt 20 odd years ago, i was mearly trying to help someone that was looking for advice. We all have our own opinions, some right some wrong, but where i come from we do not lecture people if we disagree with them, especcially if they are only trying to help.

RC Racer
    there is plenty of cheap option for a new brushless motor/system. go to rc hobby or hobby hot and you can find a decent motor for a decent price. or try to sell your esc and buy a new system more suitable for a 4wd sct. i just bought a toro brushless combo 120 amp esc and 4000 kv 4 pole motor for 99$ (i think there is only one left for sale)... these system are far more powerfull than the vxl. it's the same system than the tenshock... but a little bit cheaper. good luck... this hobby is expensive!!!

RC Racer
    i have fried several 3500's on 2s in my slash 4wd. i also know several others who also have on 2s

after switching to a castle 3800 mmp i have had no issues

i have a 3500 in my slash 2wd and havent had any issues... i agree with many others that the 3500 is fine for 2wd but not for 4wd

too bad you need to spend another $200 to get a stable truck
    1/16 E-Revo VXL, Slash Ultimate, Slash 2wd MT