RC Qualifier

Aluminum bulkheads...benefit or bling

The title says it all
    Aluminum bulkheads are they worth the price for a basher setup

They are expensive
    and heavy so whats the benefits compared to stock?
    Last edited by littlefoot; 06-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    if its not broken, bash harder

RC Qualifier
    they will survive a hard impact and most important they dont flex like the stock
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    They are worth it. I have had to do TWO complete chassis swaps because the bulkheads broke and so did the chassis. They
    are also good at making your diffs last longer. Which are a pain to replace and put back together.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With less flex less chance of chipping a tooth on your ring gear

they arent that heavy when compared to stock.....

they are definitely worth it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
    The title says it all
    Aluminum bulkheads are they worth the price for a basher setup

They are expensive
    and heavy so whats the benefits compared to stock?
    Not much TBPH. When you replace plastic parts with metal parts the metal parts hold up in a crash, and the parts around the metal parts melt like butter. You wind up needing (almost) all aluminum. This is especially true with traxxas RC's from my experience. I did manage to get away with just aluminum bulkhead braces on a TXT-1 once. That truck did 20mph tops, however

But that being said, I really see no problem with going all aluminum/titanium. Its not too much weight for brushless to handle if you gear properly. 2 of my traxxas RC's wound up being mostly aluminum, both held up for a year plus, and had higher sell value. Wish I wouldn't have had to sell, but sometimes life's brutal.

So yeah, this is true...
    they will survive a hard impact and most important they dont flex like the stock
    But when they don't flex in a crash they put more pressure on the surrounding parts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I weighed the difference less than 2 ounces

RC Qualifier
    i got alum bulk head.. after breaking about 4 and worth it to me. i got integy and they're tricky to install the servo saver on i dont know how to explain it though. kinda like you got to do it in steps different than others.. and the integy ones you'll have to drimmel where the shaft comes out or you driveshafts will rub or mine did anyway

integy isnt known for it's overall quality.... however, their bulkheads to seem to be ok

i went with the HR, the bolt the haves together, and the steering Y post for the front is bolted through the halves adding even mroe rigidity

I have the GPM ones. Worked perfect so far.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    integy isnt known for it's overall quality.... however, their bulkheads to seem to be ok

i went with the HR, the bolt the haves together, and the steering Y post for the front is bolted through the halves adding even mroe rigidity
    I keep hearing this from you and Jimmy Neutron, yet have owned many of their products, never had a problem, and never seen a post on this forum where the person dissing them owned the product themselves.

Not to sound rude but why is that? Did you own an integy aluminum part and it broke? Or a part they made that was sub par quality that you purchased? Can you link me to an independent review that says they are sub par?

I have no stock in or affiliation with integy other than having owned several of their products, and I am having trouble understanding why people say "they suck "so to speak" without saying *why*. Thanks in advance.

look around the net.... tons of people have problems with them

there are some integy parts i will run, and some i wont..... there are rpm parts i will run, and some i wont, there are some hr parts i will run, and soem i wont.....

there is mroe than enough info out there to back up the research i have done...

when the integy axles first came out, there were literally hundreds of people that posted online that their axle shafts snapped. the gh and gpm were no better.. i have never heard of a traxxas shaft snapping.....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    look around the net.... tons of people have problems with them

there are some integy parts i will run, and some i wont..... there are rpm parts i will run, and some i wont, there are some hr parts i will run, and soem i wont.....

there is mroe than enough info out there to back up the research i have done...

when the integy axles first came out, there were literally hundreds of people that posted online that their axle shafts snapped. the gh and gpm were no better.. i have never heard of a traxxas shaft snapping.....
    Which is why I don't get the internet. I haven't broken a traxxas shaft since they upgraded them in like what, 2003? I always recommend against any kind of upgraded drive shaft.

So I have looked on the net many times for that category. But since the other brands axles also break bend and pop out, I don't see how that means integy is bad. I mean, if literally hundreds of people say both brand x and brand y break, you cant say "brand x sucks" when comparing it to brand y.

Just my observations, sorry to 'derail'. Just want people to make informed decisions.

RC Qualifier
    I have an Integy front bulkhead, that i'm quite happy with. No more stripped front diffs since i installed it.
    Its about twice the weight of the stock plastic bulk, 32,9g vs 17,9g.
    No need to dremmel anything on mine and the servosaver fits like a glove on the steering Y-post. Much much smoother turning as with the stock plastic steering post.
    I'll found you'll need to shim the ring AND the pinion on this one for a perfect mesh.

I would have prefered the HR design with the locking bolts, but got the Integy as an eBay snap. It was used and blue, but very cheap.

As you see the Integy does not even have the long cross bolt the stock X version bulkhead has, but the steering Y post is screwed on. It seems that is still enough holding power to keep the halves together and secure the diff.

#
    I'm not a big Integy fan myself. Owning quite a few parts from them i know their build quality, surface finishing and general fit of the parts often let a lot to be desired.
    But honestly, from my experience, HR, GPM or even RPM is in NO way better, they all have their duds in the sortiment. HR apparently has massive QC issues and some poor design choices, like their knuckles -but always the shiniest finish. GPM often uses rather low quality materials, like in their not so good shocks or alloy rods. No bashing, only my experience.
    You have to read a lot before deciding on a part, and even after a lot of research, some parts just dont work as you has hoped.

Sorry got carried away. Back to topic - alloy bulkeads.

I personally have seen Integy parts (Rustler A-arms and Merv rods) that were bent and broken from crashes which were not that bad at all. Besides that I heared other bad experiences from people who are trustworthy to me.
    On the other hand my Integy gear boxes and Merv battery doors have served me well so far.

I had GPM alu rods on my Merv which bent when you only looked at them. I also had steel GPM shafts that broke like they were plastic.

If Integy parts were decent, I guess there would be more people complaining about the negative press they get.

RC Qualifier
    The gpm rods are letting me down also

broke 2 in 2 runs

doesnt mean they are not good but i have no luck with them so far

also integy has al ot of PPL who complain but also a lot of PPL who have a great time with them
    Xtreme has no limiits

RC Qualifier
    And which rods are you recomending then for the merv?

RC Qualifier
    i have a few integy parts i bought after i hear about there negative rep. i bought their push rods, axle carriers, and bulkheads.
    got to say i havent had a problem with anything other than the push rods they bent at the rod end, but i have had many other brands to do the same thing gpm from the toys and others. the only ones i havent tried that i want is the hr, cause they dont screw in to rod ends its all on piece, i will test them soon. so cant just blame integy.

i would love to have some of the hr bulkheads but for the price compared to integy and my budget it was no choice.
    i got to say i have put my car the HE!! and the bulkhead and axle carriers have not failed in any way what so ever.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ttThree View Post
    And which rods are you recomending then for the merv?
    yes witch rods would be good for the rod end not breaking like so many of mine have. im thinking the hr cause its just one piece
    but is there any others out there that are good?

I use GPM rods, but the steel ones. Get an extra set of rod ends with them and you will be fine.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Any kind you get, get extra rod ends. I'd rather replace rod ends than something else in the steering/suspension!

RC Qualifier
    True... I didn't know they made steel ones

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Traxxas aluminum hold up.pretty good and look even better!