RC Competitor

New Lipo's for my Summit VXL

I would like to get another couple lipo batteries for my 1/16 Summit VXL but I'm unsure which ones I to go for.

I currently have 2 Orion Carbon Sport 1800 45c 7.4v lipo's which I occasionally run in parallel, I've been very happy with the performance I've been getting from these, most of the time I run 1 of these as I prefer the way my model jumps/handles without the extra weight of running a twin set-up.

These are the 2 options I've been looking at:

Orion Carbon Sport 1200 45c 11.1v, so 1.2 x 45 = 54

Traxxas lipo 2200 45c 7.4v, so 2200 x 45 = 55

To confirm my understanding, the higher the mah the higher capacity the batterie is, providing longer run times?

The higher the c rating the higher "punch" I'll recieve?

What difference does the voltage make? 7.4v or 11.1v?

Run time is more important to me but would also like good performance. Any advice will be much apprieciated.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes...
    higher mAh = more run time
    higher amp delivery = more punch
    (higher C is not always a direct correlation due to variances in capacity)

The higher voltage will give you more speed... more heat... and more stress on your system.

There are a few batteries I suggest:
    2S 2200mAh *****'s at ~$10 a pop shipped
    2S 2500mAh SPC packs... not sure on cost.

I usually suggest 3S only for speed runs... but that decision is up to you.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    To be totally honest, of any of the scales out there - it's been my experience that if there is a place where C-rating are not only overrated but not identifiable it's in the 1/16ths and smaller scales.

Even with 2s Lipo packs you're going to have tremendous performance with these 1/16ths, 3s is pretty much unnecessary (and undriveable) -- and if you're seeking "run time" my advice would be to get yourself two 2s packs and run the "parallel" configuration with the optional traxxas parallel wire loom (the one on the left, below).
    http://traxxas.com/gallery/Accessori...ess-Connectors

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Yes...
    higher mAh = more run time
    higher amp delivery = more punch
    (higher C is not always a direct correlation due to variances in capacity)

The higher voltage will give you more speed... more heat... and more stress on your system.

There are a few batteries I suggest:
    2S 2200mAh *****'s at ~$10 a pop shipped
    2S 2500mAh SPC packs... not sure on cost.

I usually suggest 3S only for speed runs... but that decision is up to you.
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into those batteries, but I am in the United Kingdom so all depends on shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ***chuck View Post
    To be totally honest, of any of the scales out there - it's been my experience that if there is a place where C-rating are not only overrated but not identifiable it's in the 1/16ths and smaller scales.

Even with 2s Lipo packs you're going to have tremendous performance with these 1/16ths, 3s is pretty much unnecessary (and undriveable) -- and if you're seeking "run time" my advice would be to get yourself two 2s packs and run the "parallel" configuration with the optional traxxas parallel wire loom (the one on the left, below).
    http://traxxas.com/gallery/Accessori...ess-Connectors
    Thanks for the info. It's 2S packs that I run at the moment, Orion Carbon Sport 1800 45c 7.4v lipo's, I may end up getting another 2 of these as I've been really happy with them, I'm simply wanting more packs so I can run more.

I already have the Traxxas parallel connector but prefer the way my Summit handles/jumps without the extra weight of another battery pack.

I'm pretty tempted by the Traxxas lipo 2200mah 25c 7.4v, am I correct in thinking this battery will give me more run time but less punch than the Orion ones I'm currently running?

RC Qualifier
    Have you considered *****'s?
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revomaxx2223 View Post
    Have you considered *****'s?
    Jimmy already suggested he got *****s.
    Emaxx #3903, MERV
    RPM/PROLINE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by minirevobasher View Post
    Jimmy already suggested he got *****s.
    Thanks but some-one has already suggested *****s.

I've been offered 2 brand new ******* 2200mah 7.4v 45c **** techs at a good price so going for them.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    Traxxas lipo 2200 45c 7.4v, so 2200 x 45 = 55
    how does 2200 x 45 = 55 ?????

Part of the equation was left out...
    But I am still not sure how he got to the 55 answer.

To figure out available amps of a LiPo pack;
    Multiply the mAh by the low C discharge rating then divide the answer by 1,000.
    (2200 X 45 / 1000 = 99)

If you want more LiPo information... read on...

LiPo 101
    now in session

1) NEVER discharge below 3v/cell
    2) NEVER charge above 4.2v/cell
    3) NEVER puncture your pack
    4) NEVER short out your pack
    5) NEVER use a pack that has puffed
    6) NEVER charge unattended
    7) NEVER charge at a higher C rate than recommended
    8) NEVER use a pack that has been over charged/discharged
    9) ALWAYS check cell voltage before connecting your pack
    10) ALWAYS keep your LiPo pack well balanced

To calculate the charge rate of your pack...
    mah x charge C rate / 1000 = charge amps
    For example, I'll use a 2200mah 20-40C pack that states a 2C charge rate on the back.
    2,200 x 2 / 1000 = 4.4
    This battery pack can be charged at 2.2 amps.
    - If no charge C rate is stated, 1C is the standard

To calculate the discharge rate of your pack...
    mah x minimum discharge C rate / 1,000 = available amps
    For example, I'll use the same 2200mah 20-40C pack.
    2,200 x 20 / 1000 = 44
    This battery pack can consistently provide up to 44 amps.

When setting up your system, make sure that the lower discharge C rate matches or beats the continuous amperage rating of the ESC. I try to beat it by at least 10%. This practice will provide you the most out of your system and it will also keep your batteries from working too hard. A LiPo should NEVER be warm... during use or charging. If it is, you are abusing the pack. Also, the less your pack has to work the longer it will last.

Running two LiPo's in parallel will double your run time (mah) and also double your available amperage.

Running two LiPo's in series will double your voltage, therefore doubling your speed.

There are many charging options out there... it can get really confusing really fast. The best advise I can give is to get the absolute best charger you can afford... your charge system is the backbone of your electric RC hobby, treat it as such. RC's will come and go, but your charge system will remain.

The following features are what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum for a charger... balance charging and a storage charge/discharge feature. Storage voltage is 3.85v/cell. If the charger cannot perform these tasks, look for another charger. If you are going to be charging multiple LiPo's at the same time or 10th scale packs, I recommend getting a charger that is capable of at least 10 amps. Also, ANY half-decent charger can charge multiple LiPo's at a time. It does not require a dual or multi-charger to perform such a task. It only requires the right support equipment... I use a ParaBoard.

Here is what I have done...
    this information might help with your decision

I use *****/******* batteries.
    I have found them to be very reliable, extremely cost effective, and they have been proven to be under-rated; usually providing more mah and a higher discharge C rate than stated on the pack.

I use an iCharger 206B.
    When I purchased the charger, I thought I would never use all 20 amps of its capability. Well, now I rarely charge at anything less than 20 amps lol. I have even considered selling it to get more amperage! I have performed hundreds of charge cycles with this charger and it handles the task without a single issue.
    I highly recommend any charger in the iCharger line.

I built my own power supply.
    I have ~$30 into my 24v 75a 1800watt power supply.
    Sounds complicated, but it really is not that difficult. If you go this route, you are going to want a server power supply as they do not drop voltage when you are pulling amperage like a standard ATX PC power supply.
    You can also purchase these pre-built.

I hope this information helps!!

Please take note some brand names have been added to the word filter. Batteries that come from a certain blocked website based in Hong Kong that were previously allowed are now blocked. Please do not mention these batteries or that website in the future.

Dadx2mj
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 06-29-2012 at 07:42 PM.

RC Racer
    Tazewell Va. Were so small here in taz. that we only have 3 stop lights....and one is broke
    thanks for the lipo info!!! Very helpful. Id like to try the batteries you are running but have no idea what brand they are. will it block the name if u send it in a personal message???

Yes, it will.
    I will send you a PM though...

Dad, I will change my copy/paste info...
    It was not an intentional infraction.

RC Racer
    sorry bro....im new here.... im not tryin to get you in trouble

Dad, I will change my copy/paste info...
    It was not an intentional infraction.
    Understood, this is new just happened within the last day or two so we are just trying to let members know and not looking to issue infractions.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Thanks...
    Even though I do not agree with banning everything from the site.
    (not trying to start an argument, just making my feelings known)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Thanks...
    Even though I do not agree with banning everything from the site.
    (not trying to start an argument, just making my feelings known)
    You as well as everyone else is entitled to their own opinion on the subject. I personally applaud Traxxas for taking a stand against cheap knock off or clones. The knock off market does unspeakable damage to legit companies. That being said this is not the place to debate that issue.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power