RC Racer

Step by Step Setup for Traxxas Telemetry (Temperature & Voltage)

Ok - here is the setup for Telemetry that I got to work for Temperature and Voltage ONLY - I have not installed the Speed/RPM Sensor yet:

Step 1: For Temperature Sensor (heat indicator) - Traxxas Part #6521
    Note - you MUST purchase this first because you can not use the Voltage sensor unless you have this Temperature Sensor - the Voltage Sensor actually plugs into this sensor.

Step 2: (Optional but recommended) - Temperature Sensor Mount - Traxxas Part #6535 - this mount is used to tightly secure the Temperature Sensor to your motor. Its optional because if you have a piece of curved plastic and a thin/long wire tie, you can make your own - but for $3.00 - its not even worth the time to make your own. Make sure you dont over tighten the wire tie, you may crush the sensor.

Step 3: For Voltage Sensor (battery indicator) - Traxxas Part #6541 - this sensor will provide you with battery voltage (or combined voltage of multiple batteries). Remember - you must purchase the Temperature Sensor as its required for connecting to your car/truck's receiver to use the Voltage Sensor.

Step 4: Make sure you plug the RED male end of cable of the Temperature Sensor into the RED female end of the Voltage Sensor - then plug the GREY cable end of the Temperature Sensor into the "V/T" slot in your Traxxas Receiver. Basically its RED to RED - GREY to "V/T" PORT in RECEIVER.

Step 5: Download the free Traxxas application from the iTunes store and install on your iPod Touch or iPhone.

Step 6: Connect TQi Docking Station to your TQi Radio - Traxxas Part #6510 (newer TQi models come with this Docking Station) Its required for connecting your iPod Touch or iPhone to your TQi Radio.

Step 7: Install iPod Touch or iPhone into TQi Docking Station on your Radio

Step 8: Turn on iPod Touch or iPhone - do NOT run the Traxxas application.

Step 9: Turn on the TQi Radio - the Traxxas application should automatically launch - if not, launch it.

Step 10: Skip or watch the Traxxas video - once video is skipped or completes, you should notice that in the upper LEFT hand corner of the application screen, the "TX" indicator icon is GREEN. If not close the Traxxas application, turn off the iPod Touch or iPhone, turn off the TQi Radio and repeat steps #7 to #10.

Step 11: Once you have confirmed the "TX" indicator is GREEN - you can now connect your battery (or batteries) and turn on your car/truck. When you do, you should notice that in the upper RIGHT hand corner of the application that the "VEH" indicator is GREEN. If not, turn your car/truck off, then turn it back on until you get the "VEH" indicator to turn GREEN.
    NOTE - both indicators will look like this when GREEN:

Step 12: If you now click on the "DASHBOARD" icon - when you do, the Dashboard will start to load, and you then will see the indicators that you have installed. To test the Temperature Sensor rub the rounded end between your fingers to create heat - you should notice the temperature rise. Voltage will increase to the amount of charge you have in the battery (or batteries) connected.

So there you have it - I hope this solves the "mystery" around these Telemetry functions. Ill post an update for Speed / RPM sensor once I have the steps nailed down.

Thanks,
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

Thanks mate...
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Competitor
    Curious as to how its getting the ESC temp?

RC Racer
    Hughesne - I have it looped around my motor as I am more concerned with the temperature of my motor than my ESC. My motor is always alot hotter to the touch than my ESC - so I figured that is what I wanted to monitor. Also, the Temperature sensor is a loop, and the senor mount is curved, so I am assuming its meant to be attached to the curve of the motor rather than the square shaped ESC...

Thanks,
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    Great post! I have full telemetry in my ERBE. I connected my RPM wire and mounted my magnet. Took it for a test run today and it seems to be giving me wrong speed. Top speed was 65 after a fast run but didn't seem that fast to me. Need to compare it with another device like a radar because I'm not sure it's accurate .

RC poster
    thanks for this update.

How do u connect the voltage to the batteries (2 batteies) ?

RC Racer
    It only gets connected to ONE of the dual battery cables. The RED and BLACK battery cable gets plugged into the back of the Voltage Sensor cable (3rd picture above) and then the Voltage Sensor cable (with Traxxas connector) get plugged in the ESC power cable. Ignore the BLACK and BLACK battery cable for this setup.

If I remember to, I will try to post a close-up picture of the entire cable setup.
    Last edited by MAYOR VXL; 06-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    Here are the pictures I promised - these pictures show the Voltage connector attached to the RED and BLACK battery cables - as you can see one plugs right into the back of the other:

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Last edited by MAYOR VXL; 06-14-2012 at 07:17 AM.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Hughesne - I have it looped around my motor as I am more concerned with the temperature of my motor than my ESC. My motor is always alot hotter to the touch than my ESC - so I figured that is what I wanted to monitor. Also, the Temperature sensor is a loop, and the senor mount is curved, so I am assuming its meant to be attached to the curve of the motor rather than the square shaped ESC...

Thanks,
    I get that, but your pic shows an ESC temp of 137 and the dial temp (motor) as 96.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hughesne View Post
    I get that, but your pic shows an ESC temp of 137 and the dial temp (motor) as 96.
    That is a sample picture from traxxas , not his actual set up. You can rename each item to say whatever you like, and that's why it says ESC, because someone custom labeled it that way. That picture also shows that it's connected to the Traxxas GPS. It is labeled "voltage" and "temperature" as the default.

RC Qualifier
    Great post MAYOR! It answered all of my questions. It would have been nice if Traxxas had provided instructions!

AB

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MAYOR VXL View Post
    Here are the pictures I promised - these pictures show the Voltage connector attached to the RED and BLACK battery cables - as you can see one plugs right into the back of the other:

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Thanks for the great help... I am very close now... can you post a pic of the how the temp sensor mounts to the motor? I haver the mount, thermal pad, and ty-wrap that cam with the kit, but it's not immediately obvious to me how it gets installed to hold the temp sensor. Thanks again!

RC Racer
    Thanks !!!!

RC poster
    Hi, thanks for your post. I have my telemetry working now on my erevo.
    My mistake was to connect the battery sensor to the receiver and got always 6V.
    I didn't use #6541. I unplug the + connector and solder a red wire on it. Then I connected this wire to the temp sensor by cutting the femelle connector.

RC poster

RPM Sensor on Rustler VXL

I have the Sensors and The dust cover (part 3792) I also have 6538 magnet holder on the way. Where/how do I install the RPM sensor on the dust cover 3792?

Please help. Pix if possible.

Thanks

RC poster
    Here is mount of the hall detector on an e-revo:

RC poster
    awesome Stuff.. not much info on this...

but u cleared most of the stuff on this new tqi items for me...

still wanna know about the RPM and Speed and wats needed...

R u planning on putting those on?

RC Racer
    Actually I installed my RPM sensor and after about a week it stopped working. I can tell you that that I installed the LARGER Speed Sensor Magent mount and I heard clicking (rubbing the outer gear case). Since then I have read that we are supposed to use the smaller gear. Taking out the slipper clutch takes a little time - go slow. Just loosen the motor mount, slide it over and the slipper clutch should slide out.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC poster
    would did u need to buy to make the RPM to work?

RC Racer
    Well the smaller Speed Sensor Mount came with the larger one (both in the same package) so there is nothing additional to buy except another magent - which is about $2 at any online hobby shop.

I plan to install the smaller mount once my Spur gear gives out (since last weekend it got slightly sanded down)... Once I do, Ill report back if my Speed Sensor is working again.
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Racer
    **BUMP** Too many people keep asking for this post - any chance it could be made a sticky?
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Qualifier
    i found this post ages ago and lost it till today
    i got my tqi transmitter and sensor wires the other day
    fitted the temp and batt wire and i have the rpm wires to go
    i found i had to order the magnet and the slipper that holds the magnet
    hope to get them in 2 weeks
    i think the kilometers are calculated in the app by setting the tooth count on the gears and what tyres
    hope to have it all working soon and compare speed with gps
    ill get pics up here tonight

RC Racer
    UPDATE: RPM Speed Sensor

Almost a month ago, I installed the RPM Sensor, and (LARGE) Magnet Mount. Well, it has clicked and worked sporadically since day one. Today, since my Spur Gear finally gave out (teeth were shaved along the top but still usable) I decided to install the (SMALL) Magnet Mount. Well what da ya know - my RPM Sensor now works and works perfectly accurate.

So, let me confirm and finally end the arguement as to which mount to use:

Use the SMALL Mount with the LONGER screws for a perfect fit - that wont click as it spins and provides accurate speeds on the Traxxas Dashboard (on the iPod).
    Mayor VXL
    ERevo|XO-1|Summit 1/8th

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Is your magnet mount rubbing against the gear cover? Mine is and I used the small one...

RC Qualifier
    Yes like mayor said
    I pulled my motor and gear off and found cover was rubbing
    I also found54t gear had two worn teeth maybe debree got in from it rubbing

Imstill trying to decide whether to send my faulty tqi to traxxas or might be cheaper
    To just buy a new one as freight prices in my country hurt in the butt

RC Qualifier
    Well I went back to my old tq tx and tq Rex and still get poor
    I just ordered a new tqi Rx on eBay as they are not to expensive
    But until that arrives I'll try the tqi Rx I have here with the old tq tx
    To see if I get better results
    I've tried another set of batteries but will go buy 10 new batteries this weekend and try that too

If anyone in Australia wants cheap tqi then pm me hehehe

RC poster
    i cannot find where the big black plug on the volt sensor goes help please.

Are you talking about the connector in post #12??
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Qualifier
    nice walkthrough thanks
    What's a coffee if it aint Irish

RC poster
    Guys is there an adapter needed to connect the volt meter wire to the battery for the nitro versions? I have a nitro rustler.. I noticed
    for the electric models you need the adapter part 6541..
    Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    I wonder if it is possible to get the actual esc temp without using the motor temp sensor for it.

RC Qualifier

Two Temperature Value's In DashBoard Picture????

Ok in the picture at the top showing the DashBoard there are two temperature values shown . One says esc temp the other shows as a gauge but its showing two separate temperature values.. How is this possible? do you have two temperature sensors connected somehow? This is confusing as one shows 137 and the other 96... Does anyone know how this is accomplished?

Just a couple tips into this install if you choose to add the RPM sensor/Telemetry READ ON..

Part number #6860a/r needs to be installed ONLY on some stampede/slash 4x4's not all. Mine came installed from the factory with the mount for the RPM sensor. So i purchased this part for nothing.. seeing as it is opened now i guess i have a spare. My stampede is model # 6708.

Also i used the LARGE Magnet holder to mount on my spur gear and i have no rubbing or grinding at all. The trick i found is The bearing for the Slipper. instead of slotting it into the motor mount and sliding in the spur gear assembly into it. Try pushing the bearing down all the way onto the spur assembly until it "Clicks" over the rubber and is flush to the spur. then insert the entire spur assembly through the mount, line up the drive shaft and bottom bulkhead make sure the diff is lined up and spin the spur gear while holding it all in place until the back end "drops" in place. I stand the truck on its front tires for this. but it works slick. After a successful install of temp/voltage, rpm/telemetry all is working as it should. If anyone has any questions regarding this install or needs a little help feel free to email me t4kt1kz@gmail.com and ill do my best to help..

RC Champion
    I thought you were going to spam some movie info. Thanks for the walk through.

RC Qualifier
    I just thought I would mention that the smaller magnet holder is meant for the optional center differential. DO NOT USE THE smaller magnet holder on your spur gear assembly thats not what its made for also for those who would like to connect multiple temperature sensors and what not you require the TQ I telemetry expander module Traxxas part number #6550 hope this helps.

RC poster
    Does anybody know how to set spur gear value on docking base?
    When i click on it. It says "set spur gear value" and cancel or save. It doesnt letting me put any amount.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sheqill View Post
    Does anybody know how to set spur gear value on docking base?
    When i click on it. It says "set spur gear value" and cancel or save. It doesnt letting me put any amount.
    In the Traxxas link app.

You go into garage. Then model setup and you will see it In there