RC Qualifier

1/16 summit free ultimate crawler!

This is done with a new summit bone stock. All you will need is playdough. Sorry i don't have pictures.

1. Take the tranny out and flip the gears. You will turn it from low torque high speed to high torque low speed.

2. Next open up the front diff and stick playdough or ofna diff lock in it.

Now you will notice a decrease in speed and an increase in crawling ability. Hope this helps for the new to rc people.
    Cars: erevo vxl, 1/16 summit, stampede vxl, tmaxx

RC Champion
    If you really wanna go Crawler crazy then change out the XL and put in a brushed 2.5 system. A brushed motor is lots smoother then the XL system especially at slow speeds. Then get lower gearing.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    How come you didn't use the Traxxas diff lockers?

RC Champion
    Since he is using the front diff I assume he wants a little bit of slippage for better turning.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    Since he is using the front diff I assume he wants a little bit of slippage for better turning.
    But he said he has put play dough or ofna diff lock in the front diff? I have never tried crawling before, I'm just interested into why he has locked up the front diff and not rear?

I would've thought you'd want the front and rear diff's locked for purely crawling?

I have been thinking about putting of the Traxas diff locks in the rear of my Summit VXL, not for crawling though, just to make it more drift happy. I was also wondering what would happen if you fitted the Traxxas center diff along with the Traxxas diff lock in the rear?

RC poster
    Locking rear diff would make it turn a lot worse than the front one. Plus, that are the front wheels that work the most in crawling.

RC Qualifier
    I still wanted to have handling and turning.

RC Competitor
    Cool, thanks for the info.

That's me ordered a couple of the Traxxas diff locks, I'm going to try one in the back, hopefully it'll make easier to drift it about, I'm not too worried about handling as it's just a basher. I might also try one just in front to give crawling a go.

RC Competitor
    i put the ofna diff lock in my summit---I LOVE IT! i run a 1/10 summit also. the diff lock fluid allows very little slip-u have to have some slip if u plan to bash it. i did notice the turning radius change for sure- but it wasn't too bad. actually locking the diffs sounds like a recipe for replacment parts-to me. i think the front and the rear are equally important(from my crawling experience). also from running the big summit-driving with fully locked diffs. is night and day to when there unlocked. u really feel the binding. if ur going to just crawl-it sounds like a good idea but if u plan to bash u may look in another direction before locking the diffs. up. just my 2 cents. btw HAPPY CRAWLING!!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. I'm looking into another servo because I keep on stripping servo gears.