RC Enthusiast

Prop Me please....

I guess I failed to tighten my flex shaft after a lube and lost it in the lake. I was running a pretty aggressive prop, all I recall seeing on it was a 42X? it was bronze. I didnt purchase the prop originally so I dont really know however its not to important.

I have replaced everything and tossed a cheap stock plastic prop back on and it seems to be heating up my electronics a little more than the previous prop.

Hobbywing SeaKing 180 running a Leopard 2200 twin 3S 40c.

What do you think would be a good prop for this setup?
    Big Block T-Maxx
    RC10GT
    Savage XL
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Octura x442 or Prather ss215.

That is a pretty hot setup you are running and based on personal experience I would recommend staying with one of the suggested props, which are close to oem spec.

I fried a **** running 6S setup and a leopard 2000kv with Prather ss220 prop.
    Last edited by hog; 06-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    After doing some research, this is the prop I was running.

GrimmRacer 42x55
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=dh-aqub9725

It seemed to run a lot cooler with that prop, to the point the electronics almost had little heat in them at all.
    I actually hit thermal cut off with the stock plastic one.

Would you still stick to the ones you mentioned?
    Big Block T-Maxx
    RC10GT
    Savage XL
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    No, maybe not.

The stock prop is 42mm x 59mm (42 diameter x 59 pitch) the grim racer prop you were running is 55mm pitch

If you are seeing that much temp difference with the stock prop, I would suggest staying with grim racer 42 x 55.

Just a comment, the hobby wing 180 ESC isn't equipped with a thermal cut off, unless you are running aftermarket temp sensors with your rx.

It is possible that the higher pitch prop has increased amp draw enough that you hit lvc early.

Hog

RC Enthusiast
    Hmm good to know, that must have been it. I just noticed it died for a second and picked back up. When I brought it to shore it was very warm so I assumed, well you know what they say.

I notice the boat is faster to get on the plane now with the stock prop, is it me or is that possible? I did add the second set of trim tabs while I was waiting on parts, probably that.
    Big Block T-Maxx
    RC10GT
    Savage XL
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    No, the extra pitch is probably giving you a boost out of the hole.

I'm running one of my Spartans on 5S with a ****, 2200kv motor and an X442 prop, it is quick out of the hole, very fast, and the electrics stay cool.

Buying batteries isn't cheap, but if you want to try running larger props, 5S on your setup is an option to consider.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-11-2012 at 09:59 PM.